• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

return travel to Canada

elephantears

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
I booked a return flight from Vancouver via Paris to Biarritz to walk the Camino Frances this coming Sept/Oct 2015 starting from SJPP. I think I know now how get to SJPP but wondering how to return. Would it be simpler to make my way back to SJPP, stay 1 day then travel back to Biarritz to catch my flight home or just what Margaret suggested , travel to Irun/Hendaya then to Biarritz. Please HELP!.
Thank you,
elephantears

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Take Renfe train from Santiago (or wherever you finish) to Irun/Hendaye. (Some trains terminate in Hendaye while others terminate in Irun). Then take SNCF train or Transports64 bus from Gare d'Hendaye to Biarritz. The train goes to Gare Biarritz where you catch Chronoplus C bus to the airport. The Transports64 bus makes a stop at Biarritz Airport.

If your Renfe train terminates in Irun, take Euskotren from Colon station to Hendaia station or a taxi for the 3 km cross border transfer.

There is no point in going all the way back to SJPdP. You will pass through important connection hubs where you will have to pass through again on your way to the airport.

If you can cancel the Biarritz section of your trip it will likely be much cheaper to fly return to Paris and then fly on a separate one way flight to Biarritz and then another one way flight from Santiago to Paris (likely via Barcelona or Madrid). Easy Jet and Ryan Air provide low cost one way flights on these routes.

Thank you whariwharangi for the detailed advise, it does make sense to travel back via Irun/Hendaye. If my knees and feet cooperate, I want to walk further on to Muxia (first) then Finisterre and take the bus back to SDC. I am thinking of staying in SDC for 1 day (rest day) before taking the long flight home, is this wise? I think staying in Biarritz would be quite expensive for my budget. Advise please---anyone?
Yes, I wish I could cancel my Paris-Biarritz flight but unfortunately, the penalty is somewhat unreasonable. Perhaps, next time I'll be wiser eh.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you whariwharangi for the detailed advise, it does make sense to travel back via Irun/Hendaye. If my knees and feet cooperate, I want to walk further on to Muxia (first) then Finisterre and take the bus back to SDC. I am thinking of staying in SDC for 1 day (rest day) before taking the long flight home, is this wise? I think staying in Biarritz would be quite expensive for my budget. Advise please---anyone?
Yes, I wish I could cancel my Paris-Biarritz flight but unfortunately, the penalty is somewhat unreasonable. Perhaps, next time I'll be wiser eh.

I would definitely recommend at least a day in Santiago, if only to rest up before the very long train ride (probably nearly as long as your flight from Paris!). There is a daily train from Santiago to Hendaye, which takes about 11 hours. You get to Hendaye after 9pm and there are then no onward trains until the following morning, so you will either need to stay the night there, or get off the train earlier (eg at San Sebastian), stay there and then continue on to Biarritz the next day (changing at Irun or Hendaye). Either way it's not possible to get from Santiago to Biarritz by train within a single day. It's possible there are late buses which you could take onwards from Hendaye, but you would need to stay somewhere, either there or Biarritz. If you have more time, personally I would break that 11-hour trip somewhere - we stopped overnight at Leon and felt better for it, but then we still had to stop again in Hendaye. Alternatively I think you can take a night train from Santiago that is heading towards Madrid and then change somewhere (in the middle of the night), onto a train heading for Hendaye the next morning. A bit more complicated! The best thing is probably to wait until you are there, or nearly finished your camino, and see what you feel like doing.

Good luck with the planning and buen camino!

Stay at San Sebastian or perhaps Irun for a night then go on to Biarritz in the AM. As pointed out ... its a long train ride from Santiago to Irun.

PESA and ALSA operate buses from San Sebastian/Donostia Plaza Pio XII to Biarritz Airport.

Euskotren operates trains from San Sebastian Station Amara to Hendaia.

It might work out cheaper and more time efficient if you fly from Santiago to Madrid and onward to San Sebastian. San Sebastian Airport is located 3 km from Irun Renfe Station.

See Aena San Sebastian EAS for airport info.

I would definitely recommend at least a day in Santiago, if only to rest up before the very long train ride (probably nearly as long as your flight from Paris!). There is a daily train from Santiago to Hendaye, which takes about 11 hours. You get to Hendaye after 9pm and there are then no onward trains until the following morning, so you will either need to stay the night there, or get off the train earlier (eg at San Sebastian), stay there and then continue on to Biarritz the next day (changing at Irun or Hendaye). Either way it's not possible to get from Santiago to Biarritz by train within a single day. It's possible there are late buses which you could take onwards from Hendaye, but you would need to stay somewhere, either there or Biarritz. If you have more time, personally I would break that 11-hour trip somewhere - we stopped overnight at Leon and felt better for it, but then we still had to stop again in Hendaye. Alternatively I think you can take a night train from Santiago that is heading towards Madrid and then change somewhere (in the middle of the night), onto a train heading for Hendaye the next morning. A bit more complicated! The best thing is probably to wait until you are there, or nearly finished your camino, and see what you feel like doing.

Good luck with the planning and buen camino!
Thank you Getting There for all the info, it appears quite complicated. I'm not sure of how to handle this situation yet but will definitely stay in SDC before heading back home.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Stay at San Sebastian or perhaps Irun for a night then go on to Biarritz in the AM. As pointed out ... its a long train ride from Santiago to Irun.

PESA and ALSA operate buses from San Sebastian/Donostia Plaza Pio XII to Biarritz Airport.

Euskotren operates trains from San Sebastian Station Amara to Hendaia.

It might work out cheaper and more time efficient if you fly from Santiago to Madrid and onward to San Sebastian. San Sebastian Airport is located 3 km from Irun Renfe Station.

See Aena San Sebastian EAS for airport info.
Again, my thanks for your input. This might be a silly question but please bear with me. Why not fly to Bilbao instead of Madrid? Wouldn't it be closer if one has to take the bus/train? There are cheap flights from SDC to Madrid but Madrid to San Sebastian is quite expensive , am I missing something?

Again, my thanks for your input. This might be a silly question but please bear with me. Why not fly to Bilbao instead of Madrid? Wouldn't it be closer if one has to take the bus/train? There are cheap flights from SDC to Madrid but Madrid to San Sebastian is quite expensive , am I missing something?

Sure Bilbao (Loiu) works. The factor to consider is whether its time efficient vs the 11 hour train to Hendaye.

PESA bus from Bilbao/Loiu airport to San Sebastian/Donostia where you transfer to services described previously.

Bilbao airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Bilbao/en/

Alternatively I think you can take a night train from Santiago that is heading towards Madrid and then change somewhere (in the middle of the night), onto a train heading for Hendaye the next morning.

The changing point of that option is Medina del Campo. If there aren't delays, the overnight train from Santiago de Compostela (departure at 22:33) arrives to Medina del Campo at 04:50 a.m. and the onward train from Medina del Campo to Hendaye departs at 06:00 a.m. arriving to Hendaye before midday. Overall, this option takes roughly 1 hour 45 minutes than the direct train and saves you a night on accommodation.

Note: the train from Medina del Campo to Hendaye makes a 20 minutes long stop in Medina del Campo because that's the town where the two branches of that train are splitted. In other words, you could get into the train 20 minutes earlier than the scheduled departure.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back