• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Returned from Camino Portugues today - 1st July

mikepreston

Just got back home today after starting in Valenca on 21st June. What an amazing experience!!!

Fantastic weather along the journey -never saw rain once.

Only downside was after the first night in the Albergue I decided they were not for me - too much noise through the night plus I didn't like the restriction of having to be in by 10pm - especially if i only arrived late. Consequently I stayed in hostels, hotels and pensions - going over my intended budget quite a bit!!

However, I stayed in some lovely places - most of them very resonable and with good food and basic but clean rooms - all with added bonus of my own bathroom!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mike, Welcome Home!
I truly have to laugh about your lovely weather! When we did our 1st, in May of '08, we had rain, rain, and then a little more rain! The headlines when we arrived in Santiago were that there had been more rain in the month of May than in the entire previous year! Very happy to hear you didn't get to share our fate!

Also sorry to hear you didn't try the alburge's again. We had one rough night Valenca, but after that the refugios were terrific and rather lightly attended so we always had space and time for facilities. Some were truly special, as in Padron. This one was an old Convent on a small hill above the river. Amazing place.

Happy to hear that you had a great time, and wishing you better the next time.

Buen Camino, Karin :arrow:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi!

nice to hear about your camino!!! but you have missed the experience of getting used to the everyday rain :) (actually since then it does not bother me walking in the rain :) ) , of being wet all the time with no more dry socks or pants, and of sleeping with the same bunch of people, meeting them 2 nights later in another albergue, chatting about their trip, since we did not see them... it was fun... after a week we ended up knowing almost the whole albergue :) but that meant 17 people in May :)

but this was i may, so i do not know how crowded must be a Holy Year in June :)

mikepreston said:
Just got back home today after starting in Valenca on 21st June. What an amazing experience!!!

Fantastic weather along the journey -never saw rain once.

Only downside was after the first night in the Albergue I decided they were not for me - too much noise through the night plus I didn't like the restriction of having to be in by 10pm - especially if i only arrived late. Consequently I stayed in hostels, hotels and pensions - going over my intended budget quite a bit!!

However, I stayed in some lovely places - most of them very resonable and with good food and basic but clean rooms - all with added bonus of my own bathroom!!

Could you please perchance share information about the places you stayed at? Thanks in advance.

HI,
i walked in mid-May. the places i stayed in:
Viana do Castelo: hotel 25 euro, on the beach, on the main street
Caminha: at the entrance of the city, a small hotel, with pilgrim discount 25 euro
Valenca: i wanted to stay at the bombeiros(fire-station) for the experience, but when i arrived i saw albergue Teutonio more pleasant to stay in - donativo - it was in the fortress on the top of the hill
Mos: albergue - (after Porrino, about 5km) beautiful refugio - 5 euro for the bed-sheets
Redondela - albergue: very beatuful albergue-even with a nice library 5 euros
Pontevedra: albergue 5 euro - with washing and drying machines
Caldas de Reis: albergue 5 euro - near the old bridge - to the left of it
Padron: albergue 5 euro - agaiin a very beatiful albergue
Santiago - Seminario Menor - near to the bus station(south of the city) a seminary which was open in the holy year(i donot know if now will be open...) 10 euro/night. i stayed 2 nights there. it is in an amazing landscape, on the opposite hill of the Cathedral, with beautiful gardens!!!!
so i spend 98 euros for hotels and albergues in total

€46,-
Hi, I walked up to Santiago and back from Porto, finished in late Septemer 2010/. It was a great walk. No mountains but still worth the effort. My trip was two weeks up and two weeks back. I loved the Albergues except Rubias and Padron. Nice places but bed bugs in Rubias and too much noise in Padrone. Silicone ear plugs are great for sure but even they did not stop the bouncing around of the noise coming into the dorm from downstairs.
Porto is my new favorite city. You have to go there.

I am heading for the North coastal trail this year, not sure when yet. 3 years, 3 Caminos. I am hooked!

No blisters allowed

Great tips. I'm planning to walk south from Compostela to Porto, after completing the Frances. (I'm re-starting in Pamplona in a couple of weeks, winter and all.)

Always good to get favourable reports of a planned itinerary. Thanks all.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Rob

Please be aware that if you walk south from SDC, you will not be allowed to stay in the albergue in Tui; it's only for those going north. In November 2010, as I walked north, several pilgs going south reported this. But it's only a short walk across the bridge to Valença, where there is a pousada beside the firestation. I believe there is also a refugio beside the fort above the pousada.

Hi, I'm coming from South Africa and planning to do the Portuguese camino in May 2011. I too do not wish to stay in hostels or b @b's. Would it be possible to camp along the way? Is it safe as a single woman walking? Can I get by without speaking Portuguese?
Regards, Ayala, Cape Town, South Africa

Hi

You will be surprised (as I was) at the amount of English spoken in Portugal. That changes however when you cross the border. There are few campsites along this route but you could ask for permission at the albergues where they have a garden or simply ask farmers along the way. But they albergues are really very good!

The Camino is safe as long as you apply all of the normal rules.

Buen Camino

John

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, I walked up and back from Porto to Santiago last fall. It was a beautiful and safe walk. Not sure about the camping, land is private for the most part and as you already read, you need permission to stay on it.

You will love Portugal and Porto is my new favorite city. Take time to see it.

Beverley said:
You will love Portugal and Porto is my new favorite city. Take time to see it.

I also enjoy Porto a lot but Lisbon is my favorite in Portugal.
Normal, since the old Portuguese saying goes: Porto makes money and Lisbon spends it! :twisted:

Jean-Marc

Most read last week in this forum

Dear all, I have not stayed at this place myself, but I just had a pilgrim in my office telling me about a really bad experience here. Bad enough that I feel I should let people know. Doing a...
I just heard from José Luis of the Via Lusitana that they have opened a pilgrim office in Lisbon. It only opens in the afternoons — every day, from 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM. It is a small room in the...
Last night the skies over the Camino Portugués lit up in the most incredible way. It was a mystery to me until I saw the headlines this morning that a meteor had flown overhead. Did anybody else...
Hello, I am walking the Portuguese Central starting in Porto on July 24. I have read that many people consider the first day out of Porto to be unpleasant because it is too much in the city...
We are starting to walk the Camino from Lisboa at the end of May. We believe we have two option if we want to walk the Camino Portugeese from Lisboa and to visit Fatima on our Camino, (1) I...
Has anyone found a spreadsheet planning tool to plan stages for Camino Portugues. I am not sure yet which route I will take but likely to be a mixture. I used one for the Camino Francais which was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back