• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Road walking?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, there's a fair bit of blacktop / asphalt / tarmac / walkers' purgatory. I don't remember any really hairy stretches, though. Mostly minor roads with little traffic and enough space and visibility.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Overall a pretty easy walk to Finisterre. Nothing dodgy or dangerous.
You can get a map of sorts of it as well as a set of credentials for it at the pilgrim's office in Santiago. It is free.

According to St John 49% of the route is on Asphalt or other metalled surfaces (see the descent to Cee). There are a few "variants" that will reduce that ratio a little.

In my recollection there are no sections that are "dangerous", the usual precautions provide. Just watch-it if you are seeking a selfie at the route division at Hospital. That two-way mojone is perched on a small island and the trucks to & from the omni-present factory take no prisoners.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just did that section two weeks ago. The only quasi-hairy part of the walk was getting into Muxia where you are walking on a fairly busy road for about a kilometer and a portion of that doesn't have much of a shoulder, but there were not a lot of cars on it.

Thanks, that’s reassuring
The guide on a bus tour to Finnesterre told my friend it was a treacherous route
I don't remember it being any more treacherous than other caminos I have walked. I think it is worth considering that the more treacherous people think the route is for walkers, the more people will choose not to risk it and take the bus tours. The bus tour guide has an interest in making it seem more treacherous.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It doesn't surprise me that the bus guide thinks it's a hairy route - I had a seat at the front of the bus for the journey back from Muxia to Santiago and I remember feeling pretty queasy about the journey. I would not be able to drive a big bus at those speeds on those twisting roads - but I closed my eyes and trusted that the driver knew his business.

I wonder if the bus guide has actually walked the Camino, though, which is quite a different experience. It follows quieter roads than the bus for the most part and negotiating the bends and twists on the route is not at all scary at walking pace.

Via Francigena, where signage is almost non-existent for the England and France stages.
I also found that the VF from Canterbury to Dover wasn't well signposted but such is my preference for a softer surface that I took several long diversions on footpaths to avoid the black stuff. I must have had my feet washed in fairy liquid as a kid or something. The signage on the VF in France must have been recently improved. Or perhaps I haven't reached the poorly signed parts yet. I found it to be very good from Calais to Arras in September this year.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Raggy , I did a rest day at Arras as I particularly wanted to visit the Wellington Tunnel there.

On leaving Reims I recall only one sign. This was just after Silery (nothing near the canal) that took me up a hill to a mocked up windmill, but nothing after that.

The route from Brienne-le-Chateau to Bar-sur-Aube is mainly on roads. I still needed to consult my maps at most intersections: no signs visible.

But you are right, things may have changed since I was there in September 2018.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

anyone have suggestions on when is the best time to start if doing the entire VF at once?

Many others who have completed will have a better view than me.

I started, after the early morning Eucharist and blessing, from Canterbury Cathedral in late August 2018 intending to at least achieve Reims. In the event I did another week beyond that. I prefer colder weather and this was too warm for me most days.

With my preference in mind I return early April 2020 to Langres.

This means I most likely cannot attain Grand Saint-Bernard as, mid April or so, I understand it will still have much snow on the ground. Will play that by ear when I get there.

For me that is a small price to pay for avoiding the warmest months in Italy.

Hope my preferences help with your thinking.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello peregrinos! My daughter and I are walking the CF from SJPP and hope to arrive in SDC around a week before we fly home (late June). We'd like to walk to either Finisterra or Muxia and then...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back