• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lucca to Rome - Should I?

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Camino Frances,
2019 C. Portuguese (inland).
I’ve done the Frances twice, the Portuguese inland and the Le Puy to Saint Jean. I’m considering whether I should do the Francigena, from Lucca to Rome, in September. Should I? Is it well marked? Is there enough pilgrim accommodation along the way?
I love Italy and to walk it and see it on foot would be great.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't know about accommodation nor waymarking nowadays, I did my last Via Romea in 2000. But the Lucca to Rome stretch is lovely, and Tuscany is especially gorgeous, though I liked Lazio too.

There's a more active presence of the Church on the Italian Ways than on the major Spanish or French ones.

I walked the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome in late September into October of 2022 and had mostly great weather. I loved its completely different architecture, the fabulous tourist towns and cities, and beautiful landscape. We stayed in mostly private lodgings, but did notice many pilgrim ostellos listed in my research. There is very little infrastructure between stages, so packing our own daily lunches was a necessity.
I have walked all the Caminos you have listed and think the Via F. would be an excellent next choice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As @Camino Chrissy says.

There is an accomodation list on the Pilgrims to Rome website

As regards the number of pilgrims, there are many Italians who do this. Check out Youtube for various vlogs of Italians doing it which is a good source of detail on the sections.

Waymarking is reasonable. It's red arrows for walking and blue for cycling. You'll also notice the little yellow pilgrim on some pilgrim friendly accommodation,

Attachments

• IMG_1822.JPG
    IMG_1822.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
The VF does require a little more thought, planning and independence but is a great pilgrim walk.
Gronze has accomodation listings

Also the official VF website has route and accommodation info

As @Camino Chrissy says.

There is an accomodation list on the Pilgrims to Rome website

As regards the number of pilgrims, there are many Italians who do this. Check out Youtube for various vlogs of Italians doing it which is a good source of detail on the sections.

Waymarking is reasonable. It's red arrows for walking and blue for cycling. You'll also notice the little yellow pilgrim on some pilgrim friendly accommodation,
Excellent. Thank you! I will check out the accommodation list. It’s starting to sound like a good one to do. 🙏

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The VF does require a little more thought, planning and independence but is a great pilgrim walk.
Gronze has accomodation listings

Also the official VF website has route and accommodation info
Yes, I have the guide books for the full length of it Rufus. But I’m not so confident yet to start in Canterbury, but maybe some day soon. Many thanks!

have a look at this Website forwalk Via Francigena with map and very good lodging and food information on the way. Buen camino Paul

That's a good app. Just downloaded whole route as a GPX file and uploaded my RWGPS. Not only does the route upload but also the POI's too. Probably should have download it in sections as it's easier to use that way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ve done the Frances twice, the Portuguese inland and the Le Puy to Saint Jean. I’m considering whether I should do the Francigena, from Lucca to Rome, in September. Should I? Is it well marked? Is there enough pilgrim accommodation along the way?
There will be many pilgrims on that stretch in September, but there is plenty of accommodation. Have a look at https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/accommodations-facilities/. Waymarking is good, and it would be difficult to get lost.

Hello.
I am sending you a link to our website. The Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome (CPR). I hope this may be of help to you.
Buen Camino
Vince

Hello.
I am sending you a link to our website. The Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome (CPR). I hope this may be of help to you.
Buen Camino
Vince
Thank you Vince. Pretty much completed the picture for me. Perfect!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @Lexicos. Lucca/Rome It is one of the Via Francigena's most beautiful stages. You will walk in the heart of Tuscany, across beautiful rolling hills, stopping in beautiful medieval villages (Monteriggini, San Gimignano..) and famous cities of art. It normally takes around 18 days. It really depends on how much you are able to walk in a day and be comfortable. Take a look at Forwalk. It is a great resource with maps, information about the different stages and a list of accommodation along the Way. It will tell you how far off the Camino an accommodation is. You can also check reviews and book your accommodation in advance comfortably using this guide https://app.forwalk.org/4/5/en/13/#11.5/42.9/7.7/0

Hi @Lexicos. Lucca/Rome It is one of the Via Francigena's most beautiful stages. You will walk in the heart of Tuscany, across beautiful rolling hills, stopping in beautiful medieval villages (Monteriggini, San Gimignano..) and famous cities of art. It normally takes around 18 days. It really depends on how much you are able to walk in a day and be comfortable. Take a look at Forwalk. It is a great resource with maps, information about the different stages and a list of accommodation along the Way. It will tell you how far off the Camino an accommodation is. You can also check reviews and book your accommodation in advance comfortably using this guide https://app.forwalk.org/4/5/en/13/#11.5/42.9/7.7/0
Thank you syug. That’s exactly what I’m looking for, what you describe. I’ve been to Italy a few times but not for a long hike. It is one of my favorite places and I do love the art and architecture. I have the Cicerone guide, Part 3 and I am feeling more confident the more I read. This forum too has been amazingly helpful. Thank you for your post, much appreciated. Thank you for the link too!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
. I have the Cicerone guide, Part 3 and I am feeling more confident the more I read.
I used this guidebook, too, combined with the free app, and a few PM's from one who had walked it the year before. It was enough for me, although I was unaware of all the others being mentioned here.

I walked it last year in September. There are plenty of way markings and signage and water points. It's sunny and hot. It's not a difficult walk, but there are some long sections. It seemed almost like Downland England. Look out for left over grapes after the harvest.

I used the official VF app and it worked fine. The route direct and easy enough to walk. But there are several alternative routes that would need other considerations. Your phone will do all the GPS stuff.

The big towns are full of tourists, but the small hilltops are a delight to stay in. I'd choose a convent or monastery hostel first as you get views that are unique.

I was able to stay in all the main hostels and only a few felt busy or crowded. It helps if you call ahead to the hostel for next day, to introduce yourself and make contact. The Italians seem to find that a familiarisation.

As it's the holiday end of season some hostels close or offer a limited usage. I found myself in a fairly large hostel on my own one night. I don't know why I got it. But I was let in by an old woman, who I think was helping her hospitalero son.
In Rome the main hostel gives you 2 nights on a donation. That's a great deal.

I mostly finished each stage by early afternoon, allowing time for a meal. Then get in to the hostel at 3-4 pm. Then some rest, then back out later for a meal. And so the days pass quite pleasantly and quickly.

At St Peter's Square you can quickly get through the crowds. Just go to the check in areas and the police will let you through. You get into a small hallway and pick up your certificate at a desk.

I'm thinking of doing the next stage on down to Sicily, maybe this year.

Last edited:
I walked it last year in September. There are plenty of way markings and signage and water points. It's sunny and hot. It's not a difficult walk, but there are some long sections. It seemed almost like Downland England. Look out for left over grapes after the harvest.

I used the official VF app and it worked fine. The route direct and easy enough to walk. But there are several alternative routes that would need other considerations. Your phone will do all the GPS stuff.

The big towns are full of tourists, but the small hilltops are a delight to stay in. I'd choose a convent or monastery hostel first as you get views that are unique.

I was able to stay in all the main hostels and only a few felt busy or crowded. It helps if you call ahead to the hostel for next day, to introduce yourself and make contact. The Italians seem to find that a familiarisation.

As it's the holiday end of season some hostels close or offer a limited usage. I found myself in a fairly large hostel on my own one night. I don't know why I got it. But I was let in by an old woman, who I think was helping her hospitalero son.
In Rome the main hostel gives you 2 nights on a donation. That's a great deal.

I mostly finished each stage by early afternoon, allowing time for a meal. Then get in to the hostel at 3-4 pm. Then some rest, then back out later for a meal. And so the days pass quite pleasantly and quickly.

At St Peter's Square you can quickly get through the crowds. Just go to the check in areas and the police will let you through. You get into a small hallway and pick up your certificate at a desk.

Thank you for all that information Duncan, it is very helpful and reassuring. I’ve pretty much decided on doing it now, so I am tossing up between May or September. 🙏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used this guidebook, too, combined with the free app, and a few PM's from one who had walked it the year before. It was enough for me, although I was unaware of all the others being mentioned here.
I just thumbed through the Cicero guide book again Chrissy; it’s pretty good isn’t it. Well laid out and it contains all the information you need.

I just thumbed through the Cicero guide book again Chrissy; it’s pretty good isn’t it. Well laid out and it contains all the information you need.
Yes, the guidebook is great with good information and we used it mostly for lodging decisions, but we liked the free app, as well. It has a distinct red line of the trail, and showed us exactly where we were on the trail.

What do you mean by that exactly? Continuing from Rome on the Via Francigena nel Sud takes you to Puglia but not Sicily, while there’s also the Magna Via Francigena, which is a walk contained within Sicily (Palermo-Agrigento). But the Francigena itself does not continue from Rome to Sicily as far as I’m aware.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Jungle boy.

After Leuca, the termination in Puglia. I would then head on down to Sicily.
Sounds rather DIY -- though I'd suggest to Brindisi then > Taranto to start with.

That would likely be a deal of tarmac, but it's very beautiful up there !!

This could be my next adventure. Unfortunately, my walking buddy of 73 years injured his knee last year skiing and can no longer walk the long distances. But he still wants to do the trip from Lucca to Rome. We have done three caminos, VF, VP, and a short 7 day walk from LePuy GR65. Are there taxis available between towns like in Spain?? Or would renting a car be better?

Bob

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Robert

There are sections through forestry and farmland with rough track. So you would need to anticipate the likelihood of coming off the trail. Thereby avoiding a rescue situation.

However there are many water points by road crossings. That would be a good place to meet a taxi.

My daughter and I are planning to visit Piedmont in May ( if not, in September) to investigate the area from which the Malan families originated before they moved to France between the 1100 - 1300 AC. They were part of the French Huguenots that fled from France to SA during1688. We're hoping to be able to walk from Lucca to Rome. I have been in Italy previously, but not walking. We are from South Africa and 2024 is our Italian year. Thank you for all the information, will compare it with what we have.

I walked this route in October 2023. I actually found it fatiguing in parts, particularly in Tuscany where there are a number of steep hills (but maybe I'm just getting older). However, the scenery and food is very nice. There are some beautiful but not-at-all famous hill-top villages to enjoy. Accommodation can be sourced from a number of guides, and it is best to consult more than one. Booking ahead was a necessity, particularly in the days immediately after Lucca. And as Chrissy mentioned above, there is an absence of services in some sections, so you need to carry enough water and something for lunch.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked this route in October 2023. I actually found it fatiguing in parts, particularly in Tuscany where there are a number of steep hills (but maybe I'm just getting older). However, the scenery and food is very nice. There are some beautiful but not-at-all famous hill-top villages to enjoy. Accommodation can be sourced from a number of guides, and it is best to consult more than one. Booking ahead was a necessity, particularly in the days immediately after Lucca. And as Chrissy mentioned above, there is an absence of services in some sections, so you need to carry enough water and something for lunch.
Thank you Karl. Your up to date information is very handy and I appreciate your advice. The steep sections are a challenge, for sure. I fought my way up on many on the Le Puy Camino in 22. You get very fit by the end of it. Lack of accommodation is my biggest worry but as you say, booking ahead takes care of that. Thanks again. 🙏

I walked Lucca. to Rome in May 2023. It is a beautiful and well marked route. I would caution you to avoid the biggest mistake I saw many people make, comparing the experience to walking in Spain. It's far better to experience it as a completely different adventure, not better, not worse, just unique.

I walked Lucca. to Rome in May 2023. It is a beautiful and well marked route. I would caution you to avoid the biggest mistake I saw many people make, comparing the experience to walking in Spain. It's far better to experience it as a completely different adventure, not better, not worse, just unique.
Very true. I loved it and actually enjoyed it as a very nice change after having done so many Caminos in Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is it well marked? Is there enough pilgrim accommodation along the way?
I had absolutely no problem finding accommodation. I primarily used Sandy Brown's guide and then some once or twice Booking.com when I wanted a nicer more private stay.

My daughter and I are planning to visit Piedmont in May ( if not, in September) to investigate the area from which the Malan families originated before they moved to France between the 1100 - 1300 AC. They were part of the French Huguenots that fled from France to SA during1688.
A bit off topic but have you read the new Kate Mosse Joubert family trilogy? It is set in this period in France (originally) with a South African connection.

Thank you for this information about Kate Mosse Joubert's Family trilogy. I really appreciate it. My mother's family was also from the French Huguenots, her maiden name was de Villiers. Her ancestors were from the district of La Rochelle. I visited France in 2010 to see where all our family, the Malan's and a lot of South African families who descended from the Huguenots, came from. Looking forward to our trip to Italy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.