• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rucksack safety as hold baggage

ChrisD

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013)
Porto (2017)
European Peace Walk May 2018
Hi, I am starting my first Camino Frances this year leaving SJPP June 1 and after reaching Santiago continuing on to Finisterre (if all has gone well). I will be using an Osprey ATMOS 50 pack and flying with Ryanair. I will have to check my pack as hold baggage as it will too big for their handbaggage allowance. My worry is that this pack has an an exterior lightweight metal frame and it may get damaged in transit. I have read on the forum that pack straps should be taped or shrinkwrapped to stop the buckles etc catching in the conveyor belts but this will not prevent damage to the frame. I have considering putting the pack in a double skinned corrugated cardboard box for extra protection. Does anyone have experience of travelling with this or a similar style pack as hold baggage. Any tips or suggestions welcomed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Chris, my pack was similar with an air gap frame. I wrapped mine with pallet wrap for security and to keep my walking poles secure. On the way home from Spain I used kitchen cling wrap and had no problems on either flight. Hope this helps
Buen Camino.

I have a slightly larger Osprey Aether 60 pack and have flown with it numerous times on Ryanair as carry on luggage and and on other airlines as well. Only once in Santiago did the gate agent try to get me to check it. The wire in the frame slightly exceeds the dimensions of their measuring device at the gate, even though the bulk of the pack fits into their device. There is no way to smash the frame down to strictly comply.

On that one occasion, after a smile (my smile that is - don't think Ryanair gate agents are capable of a smile) and short plea, the agent allowed me to carry it on. In general I always try to wear as much as the bulkier items as possible so as to keep the rucksack looking unstuffed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. So to prepare for the worst: slim and snug is the way to go. Nothing in the outer ("water bottle") pockets, every tightening/restraining strap as snug as it will go with the excess length tucked away inside. Flip the shoulder straps around so they would "hold the pack onto the frame". Cover with the pack cover. Apply one spare belt around the middle to secure the pack cover. (In the event cling wrapping service is not available.)

And be smiling and nice to the gate attendant (or any other decision maker) in the hopes you can carry it on.

You could always pack your backpack in a slightly larger duffel bag (or similar), throw in a couple of post-Camino changes of clothes and any other items you'd want after the Camino, then post all the extra stuff ahead to Santiago. Then once you finish your walk you will have some non-trail clothes to wear in Santiago and for the trip home, plus the duffel bag for the return trip.

Ivar, who runs this forum, has a luggage storage service in Santiago for this sort of thing: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/

The French and Spanish post offices have boxes available for shipping, at a small cost. The shipping rates are also very reasonable, at least from within Spain. If you come in through Madrid and/or Pamplona, I'd ship from there before going to SJPP.

If this idea is appealing, you can find more information on other threads with a search for 'post restante' or 'correos'.
Nancy

Hi, I am starting my first Camino Frances this year leaving SJPP June 1 and after reaching Santiago continuing on to Finisterre (if all has gone well). I will be using an Osprey ATMOS 50 pack and flying with Ryanair. I will have to check my pack as hold baggage as it will too big for their handbaggage allowance. My worry is that this pack has an an exterior lightweight metal frame and it may get damaged in transit. I have read on the forum that pack straps should be taped or shrinkwrapped to stop the buckles etc catching in the conveyor belts but this will not prevent damage to the frame. I have considering putting the pack in a double skinned corrugated cardboard box for extra protection. Does anyone have experience of travelling with this or a similar style pack as hold baggage. Any tips or suggestions welcomed.
Hi Chris,

In hindsight what a load of rubbish, you did it.
Good to find you on this site keep in touch.

Camino hugs Keith.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola

Buy a transport bag at the outlet. They come in many sizes and are high durability nylon or similar syntetic material.
Once you start your walk empty the backpack and put the bag inside your backpack and your gear inside the bag, this way you will have 100% waterproof gear.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.