• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poncho or raincoat that doesn't cover rucksack

Pathfinder075

Time of past OR future Camino
Various Routes in (2016), (2017) and (2023).
I am looking for a cheap lightweight poncho or rain jacket that doesn't cover the rucksack (my Berghaus has it's own rain cover). Doesn't have to be breathable, but would be nice if it was. Just needs to be waterproof. I don't need bottoms, I tried that in 2016/17 and ripped the back end out of two sets. So will just accept wet shorts.

I am currently looking at hi vis type clothing, since I might potentially be walking on roads at times, maybe in mist/rain, so having reflectors built in and an orange or green colour, could be useful. I am also a rather overweight person, so it has to be baggy.

I am in the UK.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Will have to head down there and try them on. The last thing I had from Decathlon didn't fit. Apparently their clothing is more aimed at thin people. :p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am looking for a cheap lightweight poncho or rain jacket that doesn't cover the rucksack (my Berghaus has it's own rain cover). Doesn't have to be breathable, but would be nice if it was. Just needs to be waterproof. I don't need bottoms, I tried that in 2016/17 and ripped the back end out of two sets. So will just accept wet shorts.

I am currently looking at hi vis type clothing, since I might potentially be walking on roads at times, maybe in mist/rain, so having reflectors built in and an orange or green colour, could be useful. I am also a rather overweight person, so it has to be baggy.

I am in the UK.
Will you still have a waterproof sack-liner? I have had leakage in the back panel before after about 5 hours in the rain, even though a rain cover protected the front and top of the bag.

It was ok the first two caminos. I walked through a particularly bad rainstorm on top of the mountains between Rabanal and Acebo, I was drenched, but the inside of the sack was dry as a bone. I expected it to leak, but never had any issue with Berghaus rucksacks. This one is the Trailhead 65L. To be fair I do spray all of it, several times with waterproofing spray a few weeks before I head out and when it gets washed, it also gets a tekwax wash.

I might throw what little clothing I am bringing and maybe my sleeping bag, in a dry sack since this year I will be in the Picos for the majority of a month and expect some rain and thunderstorms. But the rest doesn't particularly need to be waterproof. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Probably looking more at a rain jacket right now. Something that resembles a waterproof hoody if I can find one. I can't think of any other way to do it. This is only really to cover the possibility of rain, it may not happen given the state of the crazy weather in Spain a late.

Have you considered a rain skirt instead of over pants? Far more breathable and lighter

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't wear anything below the waist for rain. My shorts are relatively water resistant work shorts, not a lick of natural fibre in them, completely synthetic. On my second Camino I just used a rain jacket to keep my main body dry. The rest isn't relevant.

I am one of those people that wears shorts in -10C temperatures with snow and ice on the ground and doesn't really care, so a bit of rain is even less relevant. :p

After doing a few caminos and encountering many rain storms, I've decided the poncho works best. I got one with sleeves and goes over the sack from decathlon. My bag is also waterproof but it's nice to have a dry outside bag when you enter your accommodation. Also it is easier to put on and off without taking the bag off all the time. I still take a light waterproof Montane jacket that provides light rain and windproof. I don't bother about my legs. If the body is warm and dry, the legs don't feel cold and dry off quickly.

Wet bags don't massively bother me. When I walk in the UK it rains a lot, usually by the time I've pitched my tent everything is wet anyway. Same will apply once I get to Spain. But here's to hoping it isn't wet. But if it is, so be it. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wet bags don't massively bother me. When I walk in the UK it rains a lot, usually by the time I've pitched my tent everything is wet anyway. Same will apply once I get to Spain. But here's to hoping it isn't wet. But if it is, so be it. ;)
It bothers the hospitalarios.

I am in the UK.
FrogToggs rain coat. Very baggy, very light, very cheap. Does not breath, but is so baggy it does not matter. I have used one on last 5 caminos. You can add reflective tape. You can repair holes with duct tape.

FrogToggs rain coat. Very baggy, very light, very cheap. Does not breath, but is so baggy it does not matter. I have used one on last 5 caminos. You can add reflective tape. You can repair holes with duct tape.
I really like Frogg Toggs and have used my rain jacket on many Caminos. They are made of an interesting/unique "fabric", are lightweight and do a great job at keeping you dry for a low price of around $20 for the jacket/pants or ponchos.

I use a rain cover for my backpack, but line the inside with a heavy duty white trash compactor bag. I also prefer using two small mesh zippered laundry bags inside, so no need to dig my things out of dry bags. Also there is no bag rustling in the morning.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It bothers the hospitalarios.
I won't be using albergues a great deal this year, so should be fine. Even at some of the albergues I will still, if possible, be asking to pitch somewhere outside.

I really like Frogg Toggs and have used my rain jacket on many Caminos. They are made of an interesting/unique "fabric", are lightweight and do a great job at keeping you dry for a low price of around $20 for the jacket/pants or ponchos.

I use a rain cover for my backpack, but line the inside with a heavy duty white trash compactor bag. I also prefer using two small mesh zippered laundry bags inside, so no need to dig my things out of dry bags. Also there is no bag rustling in the morning.
I am 5'-07" and 170 lbs on last 2 Caminos, and my mens large FroggToggs raincoat (5.5 ounces) fit totally around my Osprey Talon 33 liter pack and myself, so no need for the rain cover. I also line inside of my pack with waterproof bag just in case, but Nylafume instead of trash compactor bag. Nylafume might be a bit noisier; I should try the compactor bags like you use. Rain skirt keeps pants dry. I just roll the legs up above knees.

I should try the compactor bags like you use.
The white trash compator bags are amazing, and they are shaped more in line with all sizes of back pack interiors, roomy, but not obnoxious. Also the color white allows you to see what you have inside. I roll the top down and use a clip, which gives me peace of mind that at least my clothing, etc keeps the bedbugs out while I sleep. I do spray my pack indide and out with Permethrin.
They are extremely robust and have used my last one for my last 3 or 4 Caminos and still no holes!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.