• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Running last 100kms

Will O Dwyer

Time of past OR future Camino
2 of our younger party want to run from Vigo to Santiago de Compostela I 3 days.Suggestions need re mileage and hostels/ hotels.They honestly believe that they can stop each day after running 33-35 kms and a hotel will be there.Oh to be young and foolish again.
Your help is really need for their run in October.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dec
they should be fine. check out the Camino Ninja app.

I walked 30-35 k per day and there was always something, and this was during covid
Definitely doable… but not my me. Had dinner with a chap before I did my first Camino (Frances) and he was running the whole way. 26 miles a day. I have not spoken since but had no doubt he would do it!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
2 of our younger party want to run from Vigo to Santiago de Compostela I 3 days.Suggestions need re mileage and hostels/ hotels.They honestly believe that they can stop each day after running 33-35 kms and a hotel will be there.Oh to be young and foolish again.
Why? So much will be missed... Never once talked in SdC about how someone finished the Camino, just enjoyed seeing and knowing they did...but he, they are youth and likely have a reason....

Dec

Definitely doable… but not my me. Had dinner with a chap before I did my first Camino (Frances) and he was running the whole way. 26 miles a day. I have not spoken since but had no doubt he would do it!
Wonder if this was same chap I had dinner with in Ventosa in 2015. He was an Italian fireman, I think running it for charity, His heels were bleeding by then (wish he handnt felt it necessary to show us at dinner table 😖) but he was determined to go on.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last edited:
Wonder if this was same chap I had dinner with in Ventosa in 2015. He was an Italian fireman, I think running it for charity, His heels were bleeding by then (wish he handnt felt it necessary to show us at dinner table 😖) but he was determined to go on.

Ah my chap was English and in was July 2020! Lovely chap. Very humble and had a huge list of ‘challenge type’ achievements which I was asking him about endlessly!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your 'why not' question is great.
I plan to do my next camino at some speed (for me) next week but am wary of talking about it because of a common view that it may not be a 'proper' pilgrimage!.

I notice that wiki suggests a pilgrimage as 'a journey, often into an unknown or foreign place, where a person goes in search of new or expanded meaning about their self, others, nature, or a higher good, through the experience.'

For me my 'expanded meaning about self ' is a big thing. I used to be a 23 stone, lazy drunk on a path to self destruction. The fact that I am still alive and can walk the camino is a celebration of my journey thus far.
Next week I may not be stopping to smell the roses or embrace the spiritual aspects that others may find on the road - but my pilgrimage is a confirmation that the spiritual awakening I was lucky to find 20 years ago was the right one and one that is worth holding on to .
I plan to be walking camino on my 80 birthday and next week is a small part of my journey towards that greater pilgrimage of living a life of meaning and mobility.

Mick

I plan to do my next camino at some speed (for me) next week but am wary of talking about it because of a common view that it may not be a 'proper' pilgrimage!.

I notice that wiki suggests a pilgrimage as 'a journey, often into an unknown or foreign place, where a person goes in search of new or expanded meaning about their self, others, nature, or a higher good, through the experience.'

For me my 'expanded meaning about self ' is a big thing. I used to be a 23 stone, lazy drunk on a path to self destruction. The fact that I am still alive and can walk the camino is a celebration of my journey thus far.
Next week I may not be stopping to smell the roses or embrace the spiritual aspects that others may find on the road - but my pilgrimage is a confirmation that the spiritual awakening I was lucky to find 20 years ago was the right one and one that is worth holding on to .
I plan to be walking camino on my 80 birthday and next week is a small part of my journey towards that greater pilgrimage of living a life of meaning and mobility.

Mick
Good for you Mick."Keep on trucking" as Eddie Kendrics sang.Being a young 71 yrs,I will get my sons and grandsons ashes there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen camino, Will!
A beautiful way to honor your loved ones.

they are youth and likely have a reason....
Yes. As @SabineP posted upthread, it is a heartfelt tribute very much worth doing.

Pilgrimage is heart work, and it doesn't matter how fast your feet are going. Buen camino to you, too, @mickcope !

Will, I hesitate to weigh in with specific suggestions...but not that much. 😉
Starting in Vigo? Camino Portugues?

If they can do 35, then how about Vigo to Pontevedra; Pontevedra to Santa Mariña; Santa Mariña to Santiago?

I should note that I haven't traveled this way, so don't know where the accommodations are. Check over on the Portugues threads...;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fa

Mick

Mick
That’s great Mick! Great story and very well done for facing down your demons!

My ‘why not’ was really about letting people do what they want, when they want and so on.everyone had a different reason and a different objective. Fast / slow, start where you like, use transportation if you wish and so on! Kids wanna run… good for them; Wanna take 60 days, that’s fine too!

You can walk 30 K anyway if you start early and keep to it . Running will annoy the walkers and many sprain an ankle . Enjoy the sites and relax , it’s not a race

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looks like there may not be lodging in Santa Mariña....Vargas, Pontecesure, or all the way to Padron.

I met 3 squaddies on my first Camino outside Sahagun. Two Paras and a SEAL. They were doing 50-60km days as they had limited time to complete it. Also with big 20kg packs. They were all due to deploy to the Middle East 10 days later, so thought they could get a quick Camino in. I thought my 30-40km days were pushing it, but 60km is pretty hardcore. They reckoned it would be good training.

I honestly don't think running 33km will be very challenging if they are already used to running that distance. I was walking 32-40km day to day with an 18kg pack and didn't find the distance all that bad. The only challenging thing is the running. But if that is their goal or personal challenge, I wish them luck. I suspect the challenge will be more mental than physical. You have to be focused and very objective driven to do those types of distances. Also as mentioned, injury can creep in very quickly, so you have to be meticulous with your feet hygiene (wash, moisturise, wear good socks that are designed for what you are doing). Good shoes that are broken in.

My suggestion is to get out early and do it when it's cool. Don't do it in the middle of the afternoon when it's hot.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Will, I hesitate to weigh in with specific suggestions...but not that much. 😉
Starting in Vigo? Camino Portugues?

If they can do 35, then how about Vigo to Pontevedra; Pontevedra to Santa Mariña; Santa Mariña to Santiago?
Thank you so much.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back