• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ruta (Camino) do Mar to Ingles

Time of past OR future Camino
Coastal Portuguese via VE ´22 Camino Fisterra ´22
Hi all,

After finishing the CP and Fisterra via Muxia last year we are seriously bitten by the friendly Camino virus.
My wife unfortunately had a TKR (total knee replacement) in february this year and am looking at options for a camino, she's recovering well but it's
still hard to say when walking longer distances will be possible again.
So was thinking to look at below options:

1. Camino Ingles , found nice info on slower/shorter stages on https://www.caminoingles.gal/en/o-camino-ingles-slow/
this might be doable still this year, end september/october

2. Waiting till 2024 and walk the Ruta do Mar from Ribadeo , connecting with Ingles, this because we love coastal walking
and Norte although very tempting would be too long; we do not have that much of holidays et :).
Few worries/queries on this Ruta Do Mar:

- is it 190 or 142 km, found info on both distances here
- no backpack service available (yet) ?
- how to get best to the starting point, this will also check via rome2rio

Thanks already for your input/thoughts/advises,

Christel and Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My husband and I have walked the Ruta de Cantabrico which goes from Ribideo to Ladrido and overlaps some with the Ruta do Mar (aka Camino del Mar, I think?). The Ruta de Cantabrico is wonderfully marked and stunningly beautiful. It is about 150 km long. We recommend it highly. I think that when they diverge, the Camino del Mar is more inland. This spring we walked the Ruta and then walked the Camino Ingles from Ferrol, but we didn't make that transition by foot. We loved the Camino Ingles as well.

There is a wonderful little train (Feve) which can take you from the end of the Ruta de Cantabrico to Ferrol should you decide to skip that part.

We were inspired to do the Ruta de Cantabrico because of a post by Magwood which led to her blog:

We kept blogs, too, but they may not be as helpful as Magwood's would be:
https://crowley.pw/cdn2019/ (part about Ruta is buried in the middle)
https://wynchar.com/c23/ (part about Ruta and Ingles buried in the middle)

The Cicerone guide was excellent for the Ruta de Catabrico and Camino del Mar.

PS. I forgot to answer your question about getting to Ribedeo. We made reservations to fly to A Coruna thinking there was a daily bus from there to Ribedeo but later discovered that was not the case. I think there might have been one bus per week. You can take the FEVE train from Ferrol to Ribedeo. Very inexpensive, but it takes a few hours. We ended up taking a taxi from A Coruna to Ribedo, almost $180 so you probably don't want to follow our example. There are probably better starting points than A Coruna.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My husband and I have walked the Ruta de Cantabrico which goes from Ribideo to Ladrido and overlaps some with the Ruta do Mar (aka Camino del Mar, I think?). The Ruta de Cantabrico is wonderfully marked and stunningly beautiful. It is about 150 km long. We recommend it highly. I think that when they diverge, the Camino del Mar is more inland. This spring we walked the Ruta and then walked the Camino Ingles from Ferrol, but we didn't make that transition by foot. We loved the Camino Ingles as well.

There is a wonderful little train (Feve) which can take you from the end of the Ruta de Cantabrico to Ferrol should you decide to skip that part.

We were inspired to do the Ruta de Cantabrico because of a post by Magwood which led to her blog:

We kept blogs, too, but they may not be as helpful as Magwood's would be:
https://crowley.pw/cdn2019/ (part about Ruta is buried in the middle)
https://wynchar.com/c23/ (part about Ruta and Ingles buried in the middle)

The Cicerone guide was excellent for the Ruta de Catabrico and Camino del Mar.
Thank you, very usefull information !!
have seen Magwood´s wonderfull blog but the distances are too long for use

PS. I forgot to answer your question about getting to Ribedeo. We made reservations to fly to A Coruna thinking there was a daily bus from there to Ribedeo but later discovered that was not the case. I think there might have been one bus per week. You can take the FEVE train from Ferrol to Ribedeo. Very inexpensive, but it takes a few hours. We ended up taking a taxi from A Coruna to Ribedo, almost $180 so you probably don't want to follow our example. There are probably better starting points than A Coruna.
Thanks again, no problem, were a lot of questions in one post 😀

Thank you, very usefull information !!
have seen Magwood´s wonderfull blog but the distances are too long for use
My husband and I walk very short days as well. We try to keep it under 12 km per day. Certainly 12 km on average. There were a couple of places on the Ruta where we had to take a taxi to make that work but mostly it wasn't too hard. Plus we had to do a couple of (inexpensive) airbnbs. We found the Ruta de Cantabrico to be easier than most caminos in terms of ups and downs. (The last day of the Ruta de Cantabrico is the hardest, but not too horrible, and it has the most spectacular views.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My husband and I walk very short days as well. We try to keep it under 12 km per day. Certainly 12 km on average. There were a couple of places on the Ruta where we had to take a taxi to make that work but mostly it wasn't too hard. Plus we had to do a couple of (inexpensive) airbnbs. We found the Ruta de Cantabrico to be easier than most caminos in terms of ups and downs. (The last day of the Ruta de Cantabrico is the hardest, but not too horrible, and it has the most spectacular views.)
Sounds great , appreciate this valuable information!

Hi all,

After finishing the CP and Fisterra via Muxia last year we are seriously bitten by the friendly Camino virus.
My wife unfortunately had a TKR (total knee replacement) in february this year and am looking at options for a camino, she's recovering well but it's
still hard to say when walking longer distances will be possible again.
So was thinking to look at below options:

1. Camino Ingles , found nice info on slower/shorter stages on https://www.caminoingles.gal/en/o-camino-ingles-slow/
this might be doable still this year, end september/october

2. Waiting till 2024 and walk the Ruta do Mar from Ribadeo , connecting with Ingles, this because we love coastal walking
and Norte although very tempting would be too long; we do not have that much of holidays et :).
Few worries/queries on this Ruta Do Mar:

- is it 190 or 142 km, found info on both distances here
- no backpack service available (yet) ?
- how to get best to the starting point, this will also check via rome2rio

Thanks already for your input/thoughts/advises,

Christel and Marc
We walked much of the Ruta do Mar from Ribadeo and kept our days short. We used the FEVE to help wher accommodation/food was too far apart and a taxi from San Andrés de Teixido to Cedeira. Then we took the bus to Ferrol and walked the Camino Inglés, again with shortened stages.
Doing both may be outside your timescale but our blog (Camino 2015) with places and distances on the Ruta do Mar might help you. Checking the availability of accommodation would be a good idea as some might have closed and also the route has changed around Xove. The blog posts for the Camino Inglés are under the same blog in the July listing.
Note that the 280kms mentioned in the blog is the total distance we actually walked, including the distance from Ferrol to Santiago, and it excludes the sections that we missed on the Ruta do Mar.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Thank you Tia, very helpfull !
Im beginning to get a pretty good idea now.
only thing i´m now looking for is backpack transfer but fear not possible on the Cantabrico, Ingles no problem there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.