• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety on the Portugues

mauveglass

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis (Sept/Oct 2012) Portuguese Central (2016), Portuguese Coastal (2018), Del Norte (2020)
I know there are many threads about safety but I was wondering about this year. I was planning on the Frances but may change my mind to do Lisbon to SdeC. I'm leaving on Sept 7th and am walking alone. Will it be too remote for someone who did the Frances? It seems a little confusing if you can't walk 30+ km.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know there are many threads about safety but I was wondering about this year. I was planning on the Frances but may change my mind to do Lisbon to SdeC. I'm leaving on Sept 7th and am walking alone. Will it be too remote for someone who did the Frances? It seems a little confusing if you can't walk 30+ km.
Hi Mauve we did the Portuguse last year about the same time , we didn't have any 30 km days. We started in Porto from the cathedral we followed the River Duro to the sea, then north to Vila do Conde over knighting in Matosinhos. At, Vila do Conde we left the sea and caught the interior route at Rates. There are lots of places to stay if not always at albergues. It felt really safe, though there are not as many pilgrims as the Frances. I would really recommend starting in Porto , everyone , that we talked to who had started in Lisbon regretted it. There is very little Camino infrastructure and the way markings are hit and miss. The route seems a lot better established from Porto on, and I would say even better marked than the Frances. Hope this helps
Buen Camino

Dear mauveglas, I guess I must be one of a minority but I walked Lisbon to Santiago with my adult daughter in April-May this year and I loved the entire walk including the Lisbon to Porto section. Yes, it was much less populated than the Frances route but that was part of its charm. Of course I don't know what it will be like in September but there is sufficient infrastructure to cater for the volume of walkers, even if that means staying in hotels rather than albergues in many places. We used Brierley's latest edition which was very useful. Regarding safety as a single (female) walker, there are some long rather lonely stretches and most of the walkers we met were not alone but it should be possible to walk with others at any point if you felt vulnerable. In short, we had a fabulous time and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello. I walked solo from Lisbon to Santiago - starting May 12 this year and finishing 5 June. I also included a 5 day stretch on the coastal route. I would start walking early in the morning - at first light - which was very beautiful and quiet. I didn't have a moments worry although it did take me a couple of days to get used to it.

There are some lovely walking days between Lisbon and Porto so don't be put off. Every camino is different and special in my book but maybe I am an optimist!

I did walk the +30km days but that was due more to my poor planning and time restrictions. You could cut many days shorter if you wanted to but some days there is simply no accommodation. Consider calling a taxi as I know some ladies did that and their accommodation hosts coordinated that for them.

I have included some posts on my blog covering the 'nuts and bolts' etc of this walk if you are interested:

https://melsonebigadventure.wordpress.com/

Bom Caminho
Mel

As a single (female) walker - and one with 11 km - 27 km a-day days - FROM LISBOA - i did not regret any of it and was utterly happy having walked (mostly) alone. took 28 days to get to SdC and I had 'rest days' in Tomar and in Porto.
September used to be a marvelous travel time in portogallo - (it's anyones guess what the weather will be like nowadays) -
Before you consider advise solely based on hear-say - talk/communicate with people who have actually walked the sections.
have a wonderful CAMINHO .... Bom Dia!
warmly, C

Lots of 30 +/- days but also completely safe for a solo woman. I walked from Lisbon to Santiago with two friends (one male and one female) and often times, of course (walking at our own speed), one or all would be walking alone. Portugal is beautiful and the people very friendly and helpful. And there are a lot of folks who speak English, if you don't trust your Portuguese! The long distances weren't the issue; the number of pathways/trails/roads that were cobblestones were! Oh my aching feet! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi, I have walked solo from Lisbon to Santiago and found it perfectly safe. There will often be long stretches where you are alone, so you do have to feel comfortable about that in your own mind. But you will also meet other pilgrims too. There are enough albergues and pensions all the way through, so it’s not necessary to stay in an expensive hotel anywhere. As you have already walked the Frances, it would be a nice change to walk the Portuguese. It’s very different. As far as I’m aware, there are now only 2 days that are over 30 kms. From Azambuja to Santarem (32 kms) it’s easy to take a train; and from Tomar to Alvaiazere (31 kms) there are at least 3 buses daily. Go for it!
Jill

Hi, I have walked solo from Lisbon to Santiago and found it perfectly safe. There will often be long stretches where you are alone, so you do have to feel comfortable about that in your own mind. But you will also meet other pilgrims too. There are enough albergues and pensions all the way through, so it’s not necessary to stay in an expensive hotel anywhere. As you have already walked the Frances, it would be a nice change to walk the Portuguese. It’s very different. As far as I’m aware, there are now only 2 days that are over 30 kms. From Azambuja to Santarem (32 kms) it’s easy to take a train; and from Tomar to Alvaiazere (31 kms) there are at least 3 buses daily. Go for it!
Jill
@ jsalt and @ mauveglass
between Azambuja and Santarem are places to stay in-between: valeda and ponte de muege (there are threads on this forum with details)
between Tomar and Alvaiazere you can utilize that 'taxi service' of the Hostel 2300 in Tomar (where I stayed) who provide a car ride to a bit out of town - so the day won't be 30+km. Hostel 2300 offers this service for pilgrims who stay at their hostel.
bom Caminho

Hi Mauveglass, I will be walking the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon starting Sept 3rd, (alone), wish you could arrive earlier, we could share the path. I will not walk the 30 plus km per day, keeping my walking between 16 / 24 km per days, and using transport forward to albergue at night and back to where I finished the previous day, on about 2 or 3 occasions.
Bom Caminho!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,
I walked last Sept 14 start date
The first few days were few others walking, but thereafter there always seemed to be a few people to cross paths, I cherished the people I encountered especially in the beginning, it increased considerably after Coimbra, then Porto many more.
It is a lovely hike and gets better each day.
Just try to start very early, as the first 15 days will be HOT.
Everyday will be a pleasure, and gets better and better.
I did wear solid hiking boots, which were hot in the beginning, but helped on tolerating those Roman roads and small cobblestones the Portuguese love.
Enjoy !

Hi Mauveglass, I will be walking the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon starting Sept 3rd, (alone), wish you could arrive earlier, we could share the path. I will not walk the 30 plus km per day, keeping my walking between 16 / 24 km per days, and using transport forward to albergue at night and back to where I finished the previous day, on about 2 or 3 occasions.
Bom Caminho!

Brendon & I arrive in Lisbon on the 2nd of Sept & will start on the 4th ( we want to spend a day seeing the city)
Last year we did the Frances from SJPDP and loved it so much we decided to do another this year!

So two Irish guys will be following you! Look out for us we sing a lot & tell terrible jokes!

Bon Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Brendon & I arrive in Lisbon on the 2nd of Sept & will start on the 4th ( we want to spend a day seeing the city)
Last year we did the Frances from SJPDP and loved it so much we decided to do another this year!

So two Irish guys will be following you! Look out for us we sing a lot & tell terrible jokes!

Bon Camino

Hi everyone. I am looking to set out from Lisbon in the next week or two, but before i go can someone tell me just how dangerous are the road walking sections on this Camino? Ive read so many different reports and just dont know what to expect now!

Cheers,
Jon

Hi Sailorden looking forward to company on the Portuguese. I really enjoy good jokes and as far as singning, I bet mine is worse than you guys, lol.... I hope you are not doing hoses 30+ km per day or you will soon pass me.
Bom Caminho!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone. I am looking to set out from Lisbon in the next week or two, but before i go can someone tell me just how dangerous are the road walking sections on this Camino? Ive read so many different reports and just dont know what to expect now!

Cheers,
Jon

Hi

The "Associação dos Caminhos de Fátima" effected the marking of an alternative path in Vila Franca de Xira and Azambuja, as you can check the link, that avoids national roads:

http://www.caminho.com.pt/mapas.html

If you do not want to walk along the national road, follow the blue arrows to Azambuja.

Last edited:
Dear mauveglas, I guess I must be one of a minority but I walked Lisbon to Santiago with my adult daughter in April-May this year and I loved the entire walk including the Lisbon to Porto section. Yes, it was much less populated than the Frances route but that was part of its charm. Of course I don't know what it will be like in September but there is sufficient infrastructure to cater for the volume of walkers, even if that means staying in hotels rather than albergues in many places. We used Brierley's latest edition which was very useful. Regarding safety as a single (female) walker, there are some long rather lonely stretches and most of the walkers we met were not alone but it should be possible to walk with others at any point if you felt vulnerable. In short, we had a fabulous time and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Hi
I walked the Portugese camino in may/june this year on my own as a single female. I started in Lisbon. I loved it. It was my first camino. I never felt un safe, in fact i was surprised at how friendly the locals were, and i had no issues leaving my pack outside cafes.
I hope you have a wonderful trip. I'm planning my next camino now!

Cheers,
Jon
as a friend on this trusty forum once stated about portuguese drivers having only two kinds of speed:
  1. Fast &
  2. Bloody Fast
i know it's not reassuring. but there is truth to that statement. hence, the initial few miles i took the train out of lisboa - but now there seem to be some wooden boardwalks installed for some sections, making it more 'sane' and peaceful/beautiful.
until Azambuja I wan't too amused about that traffice/side by road walking (on a veryyy hot Friday in May) but after Azambuja - it was a breeze, in my experience and recollection. yes, there are those cobblestones and one better has good soles on ones good shoes (or insoles too) - but unless one insists on 30+km days, it's a good walk. and through much woodlands, fields etc as well.
wonderful caminho - best wishes, c

as a friend on this trusty forum once stated about portuguese drivers having only two kinds of speed:
  1. Fast &
  2. Bloody Fast
i know it's not reassuring. but there is truth to that statement. hence, the initial few miles i took the train out of lisboa - but now there seem to be some wooden boardwalks installed for some sections, making it more 'sane' and peaceful/beautiful.
until Azambuja I wan't too amused about that traffice/side by road walking (on a veryyy hot Friday in May) but after Azambuja - it was a breeze, in my experience and recollection. yes, there are those cobblestones and one better has good soles on ones good shoes (or insoles too) - but unless one insists on 30+km days, it's a good walk. and through much woodlands, fields etc as well.
wonderful caminho - best wishes, c

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess the best thing to do is get out there and see what it's like. If i'm not too sure about a busy road section, when im walking it, then i'll figure something out.

Cheers,
Jon

Hi
My wife Janine and I are leaving Lisbon on 11 September and plan to get a train to start in Santaram. Happy to help if it works out or just share information. We will not be doing the 30+ stretches in one go as previous experience has shown it becomes counterproductive for me with tendon problems and shin splints. Best to walk to what the body can take over the many weeks of walking, not just the first few days when entheauism urges one on
Regards
Mark

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back