• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cobblestones on the Portugues

Canche

Volcano Climber
Time of past OR future Camino
Norte/Frances 2016, San Salvador & Primitivo 2021
I live in a town of nothing but cobblestones and have fallen 3 times: broken ribs and split head open twice. I don't even walk in town which is very sad as it is a beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Site. How bad are the cobblestones on the Portugues? Are they on both routes? There are cobblestones that are filled into between the stones so one doesn't trip. I'd really like to do the Portugues but not if there are unmageanble.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have walked the Central route from Lisbon to Santarem, and then Tomar to Santiago, and there are cobblestones in most towns and on many rural roads. It's not continuous, but I don't recall any place where there weren't cobblestones. Both the size of the stones used and the evenness of the surfaces varied widely. There are asphalt stretches in some places, and natural paths as well, but you can expect to see cobblestones most days. I cannot speak for the other routes north of Porto.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have walked the Central route from Lisbon to Santarem, and then Tomar to Santiago, and there are cobblestones in most towns and on many rural roads. It's not continuous, but I don't recall any place where there weren't cobblestones. Both the size of the stones used and the evenness of the surfaces varied widely. There are asphalt stretches in some places, and natural paths as well, but you can expect to see cobblestones most days. I cannot speak for the other routes north of Porto.
Yup. What Dougfitz said.
I see local women walking in 3" high heels and wonder how in the heck they do it!

There are definitely cobblestones but it’s not the round ones so much as the square ones that do have filling around them but not always to the top so my poles would get stuck before I bought tips. I wouldn’t say they are so uneven that you would fall but my feet were definitely sore each day. This was on the central. I head the coast is all sand or boardwalk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The only camino where I had an injury, the Portuguese… I had plantar fasciitis so badly I could barely walk, and cried.
Not certain what it was, I’m in the medical field and drs at home swore it was my shoes… I think the cobblestones!

There are definitely cobblestones but it’s not the round ones so much as the square ones that do have filling around them but not always to the top so my poles would get stuck before I bought tips. I wouldn’t say they are so uneven that you would fall but my feet were definitely sore each day. This was on the central. I head the coast is all sand or boardwalk.
Thank you. Is it the whole distance?

Generally not cobble stones but setts, used a lot in Portugal, less often in Spain, presume they make for a hard wearing road surface. Messes up your arms and shoulders on a bike not your ankles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The quality of the cobblestones is variable. When they've been set down within the past few months, they can be a fantastic walking surface ; but when they've become older, and the dirt, dust, and cement between the stones has gone, a fairly awful one.

Some cobblestone stretches on some portions of the Portuguese routes do have a pathway by the side of the road, whether deliberate or simply created by the passage of pilgrims -- whereas other stretches do not.

And on the Coastal north of Porto, there's a lot of boardwalk instead.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hard to imagine ANY of the Camino routes being without some stretches of cobblestone surfaces especially in the towns and country roads as that is the way roads and paths were constructed in days past. If your ability to navigate your way on cobblestones is compromised enough to raise your initial concerns, you might consider forest trail hiking more suitable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think this is a pretty accurate description of the amount of cobblestones. There are some areas that if you look you can walk along the path on the grass or dirt and bypass some of them but you will never escape them. Sometimes you just have to look down alot. I used my poles quite a bit on the cobblestones just as a steadying and safety precaution. Also I walked from Lisbon on the Central route all the way but it was 2017 so my memories of where and for how long the dreaded cobblestones were has faded into the sunset.

Thank you. Is it the whole distance?
I have lived in Mexico for over a decade and the two places I have lived are chock full of cobblestones everywhere. I would guess that the state of these roads in Mexico are about the same as Guatemala. Which means they are astoundingly horrendous, but of course you get used to it. I would say that based on my own personal experience the cobblestones paths on the Portugues make the cobblestones paths in Mexico look like you are walking almost on air. But they can still be tough and caution is definately necessary.

This is not very typical of the Portuguese pavements, overall...

Usually, they are squarish, flat stone blocks. Extremely tiring on the feet, day by day! Hard to escape. The sidewalks/pavements in most towns will be made this way.

Almost every city and town will have some ceremonial area--often the town square--where the town's symbol is reproduced in patterns of the stones. You can see from the following that many are very decorative. I recently noticed, in our town, Vila Nova da Barquinha, that the two new municipal parking spaces with chargers for electric vehicles have the "electric vehicle motif" executed in calçadas, so, contrary to the artlcle below, there still are craftspeople creating these designs.

I could do with a little less artistry and a few softer paths, myself!

I don't envy you the ones in Madeira, @jungleboy! We have a few small stretches of those very old-fashioned round ones hereabouts, and they're even more problematic than the flat ones.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't envy you the ones in Madeira, @jungleboy! We have a few small stretches of those very old-fashioned round ones hereabouts, and they're even more problematic than the flat ones.
Worst I've ever come across have been in France, where they can combine those spaced cobbles with very rounded road construction.

images

.Roubaix-paves-23_m.jpg

Stuff like this is very unpleasant to walk on.

The quality of the cobblestones is variable. When they've been set down within the past few months, they can be a fantastic walking surface ; but when they've become older, and the dirt, dust, and cement between the stones has gone, a fairly awful one.

Some cobblestone stretches on some portions of the Portuguese routes do have a pathway by the side of the road, whether deliberate or simply created by the passage of pilgrims -- whereas other stretches do not.

And on the Coastal north of Porto, there's a lot of boardwalk instead.
Thank you so much.

Almost every city and town will have some ceremonial area--often the town square--where the town's symbol is reproduced in patterns of the stones.
Here in Madeira there are some lovely calçada portuguesa patterns, often featuring navigational motifs or local flora. I took this photo in Funchal today and added a fallen African tulip in the middle of the Order of Christ cross for a splash of colour:

IMG_4010.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When the ankles feel cobblestone, they start to stretch their horizons, and the feet, well they’re on an adventure – something between dancing and reflexology, and of course the eyes, they’re smitten by the art, a myriad of patterns and so many colours. It’s no wonder that this pilgrim has walked several Portuguese, with a smile, in both directions. A walk with texture!

These are the ones used in Portugal a lot.
They can be slippy, uneven and generally uncomfortable and dangerous.

granite-cobbles-in-portugal-C3WWDJ.jpg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am used to cobblestones so I didn't have problems... good shoes helped a lot.
Here are some examples of walking surface in Portugal.

Attachments

• Portugal.jpg
    Portugal.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Portugal2.jpg
    Portugal2.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Portugal3.jpg
    Portugal3.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 47
  • Portugal4.jpg
    Portugal4.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Portugal5.jpg
    Portugal5.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Portugal6.jpg
    Portugal6.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Portugal7.jpg
    Portugal7.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 42
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am used to cobblestones so I didn't have problems... good shoes helped a lot.
Here are some examples of walking surface in Portugal.
Thank you so much. That really helps confirm that I probably can’t do the Portugues. 🥲i have fallen 3 times on cobblestones breaking my ribs and splitting open my head requiring stitches

Thank you so much. That really helps confirm that I probably can’t do the Portugues. 🥲i have fallen 3 times on cobblestones breaking my ribs and splitting open my head requiring stitches
Careful -- if you ask for cobblestone stories, then that is what will be given you.

There's tarmac, trail, boardwalk, cobblestone, and pavement/sidewalk.

But if cobblestones really are that bad of an issue for you -- then walk the Coastal. If tarmac is acceptable ...

Else, stick to the Francès.

Thank you but I hate the Frances. Tarmac is acceptable. I'll think about it. There arre 38 Caminos so I am sure I can find something for my 5th Camino. I just really want to do the Portugues. Thanks again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you but I hate the Frances. Tarmac is acceptable. I'll think about it. There arre 38 Caminos so I am sure I can find something for my 5th Camino. I just really want to do the Portugues. Thanks again.
Then do the Coastal from Porto. It's a lot more expensive day-to-day than other Caminos, but it is very beautiful.

Some cobblestones, but really quite significantly fewer compared to elsewhere in Portugal.

Just finished the Camino Portuguese via Senda Litoral/Coastal route from Porto to Santiago on May 17th and I can tell you unequivocally, that there is more than plenty of cobblestone surfaces along the way. Especially in the more urban areas and some country roads and sidewalks. My ankles and feet will back this up. For anyone phobic about cobblestone surfaces, I could not in good conscience, recommend they walk the CP.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just finished the Camino Portuguese via Senda Litoral/Coastal route from Porto to Santiago on May 17th and I can tell you unequivocally, that there is more than plenty of cobblestone surfaces along the way. Especially in the more urban areas and some country roads and sidewalks.
Sure, but that's still significantly less than elsewhere in Portugal.

Less does not mean "none".

Thank you so much. I have had several confirmations and I will not do it.
Sure, but that's still significantly less than elsewhere in Portugal.

Less does not mean "none".
I understand. However, i have fallen on cobblestones too many times and hate walking on them for any length. The Pirtugues is not for me. There are 36 other Caminos. I’ll go visit Portugal though

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I live in a town of nothing but cobblestones and have fallen 3 times: broken ribs and split head open twice. I don't even walk in town which is very sad as it is a beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Site. How bad are the cobblestones on the Portugues? Are they on both routes? There are cobblestones that are filled into between the stones so one doesn't trip. I'd really like to do the Portugues but not if there are unmageanble.
Most of the "cobblestones" seen in Portugal are actually flat topped granite sets infilled with course sand similar to the Pave roads seen in Belgium. They can be lethal when wet but in the dry are a good walking surface.

In parts of Spain and Portugal, natural cobblestones set in lime cement were used for paths and roads inside of towns. These can be uneven and are probably what you are thinking about. However the cobblestones on the roads had to be replaced when cars and trucks became common since the torque on the drive wheels tended to dislodge the cobbles causing damage to vehicles, property and people.

A tourist guide in Ronda once told me that the lime mortared cobblestone roads and paths were laid during the middle ages by prisoners of war, while waiting to be exchanged for ransom payments. He also said that both a high and low born prisoners had to do this and it ensured ransoms were paid promptly.

While I wasn't crazy about the "cobblestones" in Portugal they were easier to walk on than the extremely rocky parts of the Francés, Norte, Primitivo, or Salvador routes!

I understand. However, i have fallen on cobblestones too many times and hate walking on them for any length. The Pirtugues is not for me. There are 36 other Caminos. I’ll go visit Portugal though
OK -- gotcha, and I am very pleased to see that you are really listening and paying focused practical attention to your brethren and sistren pilgrims.

I am not a cobblestones enthusiast either.

You probably could manage a more relaxed and less "purist" Português Coastal at some point in the future, and there are usually tarmac variants at least, but clearly that's the opposite of your current wishes.

Buen Camino !!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While I wasn't crazy about the "cobblestones" in Portugal they were easier to walk on than the extremely rocky parts of the Francés, Norte, Primitivo, or Salvador routes!
Try "walking" on a sheer cliff-like hillside devastated by fire, slippery dust rather than earth, and every rock to set your foot upon liable to just jump out beneath you, every tree branch to hold onto liable to just crumble in your hands, and be reduced to crawling sideways like a crab. Oh, and I forgot the thorn bushes, each vine thicker than a knife handle to catch you during any slip into the ravine.

60 minutes to "walk" 150 metres ...

That was a part of my Português last summer ...

Cobblestones ? Solidity and flatness are wonderful !!

Most of the "cobblestones" seen in Portugal are actually flat topped granite sets infilled with course sand similar to the Pave roads seen in Belgium. They can be lethal when wet but in the dry are a good walking surface.

In parts of Spain and Portugal, natural cobblestones set in lime cement were used for paths and roads inside of towns. These can be uneven and are probably what you are thinking about. However the cobblestones on the roads had to be replaced when cars and trucks became common since the torque on the drive wheels tended to dislodge the cobbles causing damage to vehicles, property and people.

A tourist guide in Ronda once told me that the lime mortared cobblestone roads and paths were laid during the middle ages by prisoners of war, while waiting to be exchanged for ransom payments. He also said that both a high and low born prisoners had to do this and it ensured ransoms were paid promptly.
Interesting. Thank you.

Looks like the Portuguese people love their cobblestone ways a lot.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked Lisbon towards Santiago in September 2017as a 75th birthday present to myself. It was my final camino and the only one that I had to quit--because both my Achilles were 'torn'. I am sure it is my individual body structure, but I could not find a way to protect against the cobbles. Changes in insoles, ankle taping, KT taping, poles, ice etc. Nothing worked for me so I only got as far as Barcelos before I used better sense and stopped. I was a tourigrino in Santarem, Tomar, Coimbra, and Fatima. The food was great, the locals were friendly, I had just enough companions for dinner, the elevation changes manageable and I had a wonderful stay at Casa Fernanda, but I never could solve the intense pain that developed in both ankles. It took nearly 6 months after my return before I was able to walk normal distances here in the Pacific NW. My ankles have always been 'weak', I have had to tape occasionally on other caminos, and my BMI at high side 28. YMMV but it is a wonderful route. I even liked the more industrial sections leaving Lisbon.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back