• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saint-Privat-d’Allier

eamann

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Le Puy - Cahors + Saint-Jean - León
I am in the process of organising my walk on the Voie du Puy and at the same time I am also reading a long French thriller called "Citoyens clandestins" by a man writing under the nom de plume of DOA (dead on arrival).

To my great surprise the plot brings two of the main characters briefly to Saint-Privat-d’Allier.

DOA seems to have a tooth against the inhabitants of the village because he paints a very unflattering picture of them. To understand the dynamics of the scene you need to understand that the young woman called Amel, though born in France, is of Algerian descent. Here is the extract in French and a rough English translation below.

Having read this incident, I will be all the more interested to pass through Saint-Privat.

Amel lut "Saint-Privat-d’Allier" sur un panneau indicateur peu avant d'apercevoir le bourg, perché sur une avancée rocheuse qui dominait les gorges de l'Allier. ... Le 4x4 s'engagea dans une ruelle pentue, encadrée par des maisons en vieilles pierres, en direction du centre du village. Ils s'arrêtèrent en contrebas de la place principale, cernée par le dernier vestige encore habité d'un ancien château fort, quelques commerces et une église à l'imposant beffroi. Dimanche, les cloches sonnaient, accompagnant la sortie de quelques fidèles. Leurs regards mauvais se posèrent sans détour sur ce couple d'étrangers qui passait devant eux. En particulier sur la fille.

Amel s'arrêta, surprise par cette hostilité si peu voilée. Servier fit quelques pas puis ralentit pour l'attendre. Elle bougea vers lui et il se remit en route en direction de la boulangerie, comme si de rien n’était.

Elle pénétra dans la boutique, prête à revenir sur l'incident mais fut stoppée dans son élan par l'attitude des autres clients. Elle sentit chez eux la même méfiance agressive que celle qui l'avait accueillie devant l'église. La tension était montée d'un coup à son entrée, tout le monde s'était retourné pour la dévisager longuement. Elle seule était visée.

La jeune femme ressortit aussitôt, exaspérée.

-----

Amel read "Saint-Privat-d'Allier" on a roadsign shortly before seeing the village, perched on a rocky advance that dominated the Allier Gorges. ... The 4x4 entered a steep and narrow street, framed by old stone houses, towards the center of the village. They stopped below the main square, surrounded by the last vestige still inhabited of an old fortified castle, some shops and a church with an imposing belfry. On Sunday, the bells were ringing, accompanying the exit of a few faithful. Their mean looks landed bluntly on this couple of strangers who were passing in front of them. Especially on the girl.

Amel stopped, surprised by this so little veiled hostility. Servier took a few steps and then slowed down to wait for her. She moved towards him and he set off again towards the bakery, as if nothing had happened.

She entered the shop, ready to discuss the incident but was stopped in her tracks by the attitude of other customers. She felt in them the same aggressive mistrust as she had experienced in front of the church. The tension had risen suddenly at her entrance, everyone had turned around to stare at her for a long time. She alone was targeted.

The young woman came out immediately, exasperated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am in the process of organising my walk on the Voie du Puy and at the same time I am also reading a long French thriller called "Citoyens clandestins" by a man writing under the nom de plume of DOA (dead on arrival).

To my great surprise the plot brings two of the main characters briefly to Saint-Privat-d’Allier.

DOA seems to have a tooth against the inhabitants of the village because he paints a very unflattering picture of them. To understand the dynamics of the scene you need to understand that the young woman called Amel, though born in France, is of Algerian descent. Here is the extract in French and a rough English translation below.

Having read this incident, I will be all the more interested to pass through Saint-Privat.
Interesting. For the record, SPdA was our least favorite stop last September. It was an ominous beginning that fortunately was erased with each passing day. The camino ranks among our favorites.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back