• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Samos start?

sharonmonty

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2022
I’ve been planning to walk Sarria to Santiago in April this year. My idea is to fly from Stansted to Santiago arriving 22.45 and stay in a local hotel and get the 11.15 bus the next day. Its occurred to me that I could stay on the bus to Samos and then walk to Sarria. I will arrive in Samos 13.21.
Am I sensible to try and do that walk in the afternoon/evening?
I’m trying to plan so I can do some walking on my first day and I’m keen to see Samos and Sarria.
I’ve walked Valenca to Santiago with friends 2 years ago but will be solo this time. Excited but a little nervous too.
Any views or thoughts would be very welcome!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just love the walk from Samos to Sarria. It's one of my favorite sections of the CF.
You might consider spending the night in Samos, then starting out next morning so you aren't in a rush.
There is the Monastery there as well as a couple of private lodgings.
But I think you could do it - I'd see what time sunset is on that day then decide maybe?

I’ve been planning to walk Sarria to Santiago in April this year. My idea is to fly from Stansted to Santiago arriving 22.45 and stay in a local hotel and get the 11.15 bus the next day. Its occurred to me that I could stay on the bus to Samos and then walk to Sarria. I will arrive in Samos 13.21.
I’m trying to plan so I can do some walking on my first day and I’m keen to see Samos and Sarria.
I’ve walked Valenca to Santiago with friends 2 years ago but will be solo this time. Excited but a little nervous too.
I love the walk in and out as well as Samos itself. The monastery is impressive and its a pretty little town with a river. I particularly love the walk in through the little villages, like the land that time forgot. The glimpse of the monastery through the gaps in the stone wall at the top of the hill was breathtaking.
There are two options to walk from Samos to Sarria. I have only walked the quiet country lane option which is really peaceful and lovely. I believe the other option involves a lot of road walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, you definitely don't want to miss the turn-off.
There are actually two - both yellow arrows to the RIGHT.
If you miss them, then you're walking the highway the entire way, which would be a shame.

I just love the walk from Samos to Sarria. It's one of my favorite sections of the CF.
You might consider spending the night in Samos, then starting out next morning so you aren't in a rush.
There is the Monastery there as well as a couple of private lodgings.
But I think you could do it - I'd see what time sunset is on that day then decide maybe?
Thank you! That helps. I will check both. Staying might be the best option. Good to hear it’s a good section.

I love the walk in and out as well as Samos itself. The monastery is impressive and its a pretty little town with a river. I particularly love the walk in through the little villages, like the land that time forgot. The glimpse of the monastery through the gaps in the stone wall at the top of the hill was breathtaking.
There are two options to walk from Samos to Sarria. I have only walked the quiet country lane option which is really peaceful and lovely. I believe the other option involves a lot of road walking.
Thank you. I’m pleased to hear it’s worth going to Samos. I’ve seen the quiet route in the Brierley guide and want to avoid the road!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola @sharonmonty
I have most fond memories of the Samos - Sarria walk (or in my case cycle). It was so quiet, so "of the beaten track" compared to mainstream Camino. According to Brierley its about a 2.5 KM walk to the Cruce turn-off. Note as this section is along side LU633 road which can be busy at time. The camino from Cruce to Aguida was so beautiful I almost lost my way. Staying overnight might be the best option (especially if you have had a long journey from your home) and it will allow you to avoid staying in Sarria. There are also a number of accommodation options in the next 10/15 km west of Sarria. Buen Camino.

Yes, you definitely don't want to miss the turn-off.
There are actually two - both yellow arrows to the RIGHT.
If you miss them, then you're walking the highway the entire way, which would be a shame.
I will be very careful to get the correct turn off!
Hola @sharonmonty
I have most fond memories of the Samos - Sarria walk (or in my case cycle). It was so quiet, so "of the beaten track" compared to mainstream Camino. According to Brierley it’s about a 2.5 KM walk to the Cruce turn-off. Note as this section is along side LU633 road which can be busy at time. The camino from Cruce to Aguida was so beautiful I almost lost my way. Staying overnight might be the best option (especially if you have had a long journey from your home) and it will allow you to avoid staying in Sarria. There are also a number of accommodation options in the next 10/15 km west of Sarria. Buen Camino.
Thank you that is so helpful. I hadn’t considered not staying in Sarria and will think about that. It’s so good to hear that it’s a beautiful section to walk!

If you want to see Samos, then you should spend the afternoon and night there and start walking in the morning. It's less than 15 km to Sarria, so perhaps stop for lunch there and walk on to Barbadelo where there is a fantastic albergue with dorms, private rooms, and a good restaurant.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you want to see Samos, then you should spend the afternoon and night there and start walking in the morning. It's less than 15 km to Sarria, so perhaps stop for lunch there and walk on to Barbadelo where there is a fantastic albergue with dorms, private rooms, and a good restaurant.

I saw Casa Barbedelo on Wise Pilgrim yesterday but thanks for the recommendation which helps me solidify my plans! I’m now getting very excited about seeing Samos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has anyone ever stayed with the monks at Samos (as opposed to the monastery's pilgrim albergue)? Always thought it would be a wonderful place for a retreat from the world.
I have not stayed there but honestly, I've heard mixed reviews.
I think it's one of those places that people either love or hate.
Personally, I think I'd like it - go to Gronze.com and read the comments maybe?

I walked from Samos to Barbadelo, and I stopped in Sarria for an early lunch. Then as I left I called in at both churches on the hill to get sellos, and I also called into the monastery (?) right at the top of the hill on the right before walking the last 3km to Barbadelo.
There’s also a very nice historic church in Barbadelo to pop into.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from Samos to Barbadelo, and I stopped in Sarria for an early lunch. Then as I left I called in at both churches on the hill to get sellos, and I also called into the monastery (?) right at the top of the hill on the right before walking the last 3km to Barbadelo.
There’s also a very nice historic church in Barbadelo to pop into.
That’s great information thank you. I do like a church to visit and any excuse for a sello!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If at Samos I hope you can take. A your, it’s worth the hour. Be sure to see the Primitivo chapel near the river, I thinks that’s the original Samos. The new buildings were built by Franco in the 50s& 60s

I didn't go to Samos last June when I walked to Sarria. But this June when I walk again I made a decision to go to Samos. I read a post of yours from 2021 that recommend to stay overnight and to book a room at Casa Licerio. So I have a room booked there for June. Was originally going to walk to Samos and Sarria the same day but it's going to be nice to have a couple short days. Should be a beautiful walk in June, really looking forward to it.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back