• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Diego to Santiago: James on the St. James Way

JamesGeier

Time of past OR future Camino
Next:
Sanabres spring 2024
Hi!
I am Jim Geier, or more formally, James Geier from San Diego, California; I was named after Saint James. I first heard of the Camino de Santiago a number of years ago. The idea of walking the Camino popped up in my life occasionally, and I dismissed it. On my return trip from my mother's funeral services a year ago, the Camino came up again, and I thought maybe there is a reason the Camino keeps coming up. Maybe I should do this, if for no other reason than to honor my parents who named me after Saint James. So I did. I walked the Camino Frances from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela and then on to Finisterre starting this past April 18, my father's birthday.

What an unbelievable journey! With all the reading I did, nothing prepared me for how difficult it is physically and emotionally to walk 6-7 or 8 or more hours a day, every day, sometimes in the sun, sometimes in the rain, sometimes alone and sometimes with others. At the same time, nothing prepared me for how uplifting it was - walking through beautiful landscapes, up hills and down, across the meseta, and always onward; with the camaraderie of the other pilgrims, and the unending support of the people in the towns through which we passed. A truly amazing and unforgettable journey. I frequently think of my favorite two quotes:

Sir Edmund Hillary: "It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves."
This was so true so often on the Camino.

The last sentence in the book “Up Country” by Nelson DeMille:
The journey home is never a direct route;
it is, in fact, always circuitous, and somewhere along the way,
we discover that the journey is more significant than the destination,
and that the people we meet along the way will be the traveling companions of our memories forever.

All true...an amazing journey with so many wonderful, unforgettable people.

Because of a window in my work next spring, I shall return to walk the Camino Frances again. I want to see how I experience it differently. The draw to return is far stronger than that I felt preparing for my first Camino.

And a hearty THANK-YOU to this Camino Forum...this forum was very, very helpful in my preparations. I am so very grateful to all of the members.

Buen Camino!

--jim--

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well done Jim and Congratulations! Thanks for sharing too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back