• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sanabres in the spring

Raithby

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese (2019)
Hello...flying Toronto to Porto..bus to Chaves Portugal and hiking north to Verin next April. Verin to Ourensa along the Sanabres route...I imagine it will be very quiet that time of year. Anyone who has done this route and has suggestions or comments...I am all ears! Thanks kindly.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My only comment would be...take warm clothes. In 2016 i was on the vdlp and by september i was around mombuey. Me and the swedish couple i was with all bought gloves and i wore my t shirt,shirt,fleece,scarf and rain jacket trying to get warm. Spring could well be like that too

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's an uncommon route. I would expect Chaves to Verin to Ourense to be very quiet at any time of year - even when the rest of the Sanabres is busy.

There is a chance that you might meet a couple of pilgrims who walked the Camino Zamorano Portugues. The last stage of that route (from Segirei to Verin) goes through the eastern edge of Chavez district. And you may find some pilgrims who start their journey in Verin. I've met some people who take the bus to a starting point at the edge of Galicia.

From Ourense you'll join the mainstream of pilgrims who start there. April should be quite popular, especially Holy Week (April 5-12. 2020). During Holy Week itself, you may find things quite busy from Ourense onwards.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sounds about right.
FYI - In Allariz, I have read that the old monastery albergue is no longer in operation. I think the various online guides should have up to date info. on this and other albergue openings / closures.

Thanks...yes I see there is no albergue in Allariz. Looks like a pretty little town so I will likely get a hotel for the night.

Found a really fine thread on the route I will be taking...the details I was looking for...yahoo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Raithby ..... depending on your April dates, might see you along the way!
Am walking mid-March 2020 to 9th April 2020.... Walking camino combination :
...Camino Teresiano ... then into Salamanca
...Camino Torres (bus to Ciudad Rodrigo) then only to Lamego. Have walked Torres to Santiago before 2016.
... Bus to Porto to meet a friend
... then bus to Chaves to finish el Camino to Santiago!

Hey Raithby ..... depending on your April dates, might see you along the way!
Am walking mid-March 2020 to 9th April 2020.... Walking camino combination :
...Camino Teresiano ... then into Salamanca
...Camino Torres (bus to Ciudad Rodrigo) then only to Lamego. Have walked Torres to Santiago before 2016.
... Bus to Porto to meet a friend
... then bus to Chaves to finish el Camino to Santiago!

Hey RodlaRob!

I'm also hoping to walk the Camino Teresiano, starting March 23rd, Avila > Salamanca. Have you looked into accommodation yet for this route?

I'm planning to follow Elle's stages (www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/day-one-camino-teresiano.html) and therefore stay in Fontiveros on Day 2. As there's no albergue there, the only choice is private accommodation and the two places I found online don't have any availability during my time, therefore I'm assuming they're closed for low season. I haven't yet called the other places as my Spanish is not fluent - have you looked into this at all?

I walked this leg of the Sanabres about five years ago.
Sad to know that the monastery in Allariz run by the cloistered nuns is no longer operative.
Anyway, the town is a picturesque spot not to miss.

I stayed in Verin, nice town with an outstanding albergue.
Next day I had my break in Viladerei that seemed to have another nice albergue, but decided to push on to Sinzo that had no specific lodgin for pilgrims at that time.
I stayed overnight in a budget accommodation, and good value for money.

On the down side paths were quite neglected and overgrown, as it is not so trodden route, don’t know current conditions though.

Enjoy your southern branch of the Sanabres that joins the Portguese interior.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Ali.....thanks for the update.
Only accommodation i have booked so far, is in Avila on the 19th March. Looks like i should research this a bit. I normally don't book in advance when walking & take what the camino offers...but maybe this time some preparation needed!😉

Hi again RodlaRob,

I emailed several places and finally got a response from the ASOCIACION DE LA CUNA AL SEPULCRO regarding accommodation in Fontiveros (Day 2): "
You can book your accommodation for March 25 in a rural house in Fontiveros.
Send a message or call the telephone number 0034636037955.

Thanks for doing this Teresa route. Good way"

Hope this helps... Ali

Hi Ali
I'm working on Elle's notes as well. She mentions casa rural la fonte (probably the same one). Thanks for your update on Fontiveros.
I intend to find out as much about accommodation as i can in Avila before i leave, as i don't have a mobile sim card, only wifi where i can get it....and according to Elle, wifi is sparse indeed!

Planning on 4 days to Alba de Tormes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ps.... for future notes, we should post under Camino Teresiano as all this has little to do with the Sanabres!

You're right but unfortunately there isn't a Forum for that yet. I'll post under "Other Pilgrimage Routes"...

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back