• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sandals...

sadaigh

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (July 2017), Via Francigena (May 2019)
So I've decided on my walking shoes as my main shoes for the trip. They are comfortable and I have never gotten a blister from them, even on my long hikes...

but I'm not so sure about my evening shoes/sandals. Does anyone have recommendations? I've heard Tevas, but then others complain the cloth bits get yucky from showers... any other tips or tricks?

I want to be able to wear them around after a day of walking, but also be able to use them in a shower. As lightweight as possible.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have a look at the Birkenstock EVA Madrid sandals - weigh nothing, more supportive than flipflops, perfect for showers and pottering about or nipping out for a meal.

So I've decided on my walking shoes as my main shoes for the trip. They are comfortable and I have never gotten a blister from them, even on my long hikes...

but I'm not so sure about my evening shoes/sandals. Does anyone have recommendations? I've heard Tevas, but then others complain the cloth bits get yucky from showers... any other tips or tricks?

I want to be able to wear them around after a day of walking, but also be able to use them in a shower. As lightweight as possible.

My primary footwear is hiking shoes (Anhu Montaras).

Teva Terra Fi Lites are my back-up hiking shoes + evening wear. I love them. A good balance of sturdy, supportive footbed, comfortable, and lightweight to serve as back-up/"recovery" shoes. They are fine in water - say for stream crossings, or rain - but I don't wear them in the shower.

So I also carry super-light Croc flips to wear around the albergue and in the shower. They are clipped to the back of my pack, so easy to slip on when I remove my hiking footwear on a lunch break or at the end of the day when I enter the albergue. Very cushy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I brought some Columbia sandals that could get wet, but I never bothered to wear them in the shower. I just chanced going barefoot, and had no issues.

I brought some Columbia sandals that could get wet, but I never bothered to wear them in the shower. I just chanced going barefoot, and had no issues.

Honestly, me too. And no issues either.

Still love having cushy slide-one flips though. Especially for middle of the night bathroom visits. Putting on shoes with laces/velcro when half asleep, or climbing up & down bunk ladders barefoot - neither of those things is fun.

Honestly, me too. And no issues either.

Still love having cushy slide-one flips though. Especially for middle of the night bathroom visits. Putting on shoes with laces/velcro when half asleep, or climbing up & down bunk ladders barefoot - neither of those things is fun.
I'm thinking about bringing some flip flops this year for the middle of the night...
I was so extremely conscious of weight in my pack last year that I left them out, but this year I have a better idea of what I need, and how much weight I can carry.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Fake crocs. Avtenth of the price and considerably lighter than the real thing. Can be worn with socks on cool evenings.

... but I'm not so sure about my evening shoes/sandals. Does anyone have recommendations? I've heard Tevas, but then others complain the cloth bits get yucky from showers... any other tips or tricks? ... , but also be able to use them in a shower. ...

Frankly I find it a difficult to stomach the idea that anybody would walk around town/albergue and then enter the shower with the same sandals they have just used walking around town or even part of the Camino. If you really insist of wearing some sort of shoes whilst in the shower (also I fail to see the reason for that), please consider bringing flip-flops that you wear exclusively for that occasion. Those many of us that use the shower like we do at home, aka with bare feet, will thank you. Buen Camino, SY

Last edited:
Teva, Columbia, Merrell, Keen....
They all make what you are looking for. Just shop around the various sites and find the pair you like the best.
They are made to get wet should you decide to wear them in the shower, and dry out pretty quick, especially on a July-August CF. Both times I did it during those months it was warm and dry. Most days were beautiful blue skies and zero rain the entire journey both times.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I brought with me a good pair of Tevas (I forgot the model). I used them not in the shower but to walk the many flat sections in the Camino to give some relief to my blistered feet.
No problems with pebbles, dirt, etc getting between my toes since I wore socks. It was not pretty (I got some weird looks from the well-attired in Burgos) but it was effective.

That's what my gut is telling me to do, but reading too many posts about the showers has made me a bit paranoid. I think I'll chance it.

https://xeroshoes.com/shop/ready-to-wear-barefoot-sandals/ztrail-women/

I should say these haven't been tested on the camino yet. And I got them significantly cheaper (cyber Monday sale), but they can go both on the trail (if you are comfortable with minimalist shoes), out in the evenings, and into the shower, and they weigh 6 ounces. They bend into balls like a tiek! I plan on wearing them into the shower if it looks questionable, but also with socks in the evening, to give my feet a break from boots.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's hard to wash your feet if they're strapped into Teva's and I agree with SYates on wearing dirty shoes into the shower! I bring along a pair of cheap, light flipflops for the shower. Teva's and hiking shoes for wandering around town and hiking.

The reason some people wear shower shoes is because of athlete's foot. A lot of people have it and if they use the shower barefoot they contaminate the surface. It is easily spread and the fungus thrives in moist, wet environments like showers. Direct contact with a surface contaminated with the fungus is a great way to catch it.
Wearing shower shoes in communal showers is a personal choice, obviously. I prefer to wear them but I don't like the idea of wearing the same shoes outside on the streets where now you are possibly adding other germs (like animal waste) that wouldn't normally be found in the shower (I would hope anyway).

I used my Crocs flip flops for all my Caminos and they work out great. Not only I can use them in the shower to prevent my feet to catch foot fungus, they are also OK to wear them to walk about in town. They are super light, strong and easy to dry, They have no tear, just some wear after 4 Caminos. They also crush well in my small backpack.

They are not exactly fashionable footwear (won't be seeing them at Milan's runways), but they are practical and didn't diminish my Camino experience either.

Go with something that is super light and durable.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The reason some people wear shower shoes is because of athlete's foot. A lot of people have it and if they use the shower barefoot they contaminate the surface. It is easily spread and the fungus thrives in moist, wet environments like showers. Direct contact with a surface contaminated with the fungus is a great way to catch it.
Wearing shower shoes in communal showers is a personal choice, obviously. I prefer to wear them but I don't like the idea of wearing the same shoes outside on the streets where now you are possibly adding other germs (like animal waste) that wouldn't normally be found in the shower (I would hope anyway).

Wearing sandals or similar in a communal shower will not protect you from athletes foot/ foot fungus, sorry. Buen Camino, SY

Wearing sandals or similar in a communal shower will not protect you from athletes foot/ foot fungus, sorry. Buen Camino, SY
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I've never caught athlete's foot wearing shower shoes so I will continue. You of course can do as you wish :) Sorry.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Actually, yeah they do. In the military (where communal showers are the norm) you always have a cheap pair of them when you deploy anywhere. For the Camino I bought a $2.00 (US) pair of cheap rubber sandals at Wal-Mart. The cheapest, thinnest, lightest ones they have. Carried them in an outer pocket in my pack and used only for the shower and for getting up at night to go to the toilet. When I got to Santiago I threw them away.
You can get foot fungus being barefoot in showers, and also, and I hope I don't gross anybody out too much, but guys pee in the showers. Not all men, not all the time but it happens. Like I said, I done the communal shower thing enough times back in the day with 20-30 other buck naked Marines and have seen it.

My primary footwear is hiking shoes (Anhu Montaras).

Teva Terra Fi Lites are my back-up hiking shoes + evening wear. I love them. A good balance of sturdy, supportive footbed, comfortable, and lightweight to serve as back-up/"recovery" shoes. They are fine in water - say for stream crossings, or rain - but I don't wear them in the shower.
What do those Teva's weigh? I have a pair of originals that are too heavy, imo. I'm planning to take my Teva Olowahu which weigh 160 gm. But I like the strappy style better so I'm open to changing. I don't want to buy Crocs since I will never use them aside from this trip. Just not my style.

What do those Teva's weigh? I have a pair of originals that are too heavy, imo. I'm planning to take my Teva Olowahu which weigh 160 gm. But I like the strappy style better so I'm open to changing. I don't want to buy Crocs since I will never use them aside from this trip. Just not my style.

The Teva Terra Fi Lites are 15 oz for the pair.

I have a couple styles of crocs and use them a lot in regular life too - gardening, house shoes, camp shoes, quick errands..... they are durable and insanely comfortable. I have never been accused of being a fashion icon.

I've found that OOfos are great sandals- foamy like Crocs but with more arch support. I wore them on some days walking in the Dolomites & plan to bring them for my Camino in Sept. Can be worn in shower.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another reason why I like to wear my Birkenstock EVAs in the shower is to prevent slipping inside the shower or on the sometimes very slippy tiled floors outside.

I've found that OOfos are great sandals- foamy like Crocs but with more arch support. I wore them on some days walking in the Dolomites & plan to bring them for my Camino in Sept. Can be worn in shower.

Consider Telic brand, foam flip/flops and slides as well. They are similar to Oofos. Same idea, different styles and colors.

While more expensive than basic flip flops, they do provide better foot and arch support. Also they are far better cushioned.

I live in South Florida and use Oofos slides around the house. I prefer not wearing outdoor shoes inside.

At the beach, I use Telic flip flops. I rate them as equivalent in cushioning and overall foot support.

I find both brands at running stores and small shoes shops. However, both are available online as well.

Refer to:
http://www.oofos.com/
Or
https://www.telic.com/

I generally go up one size as I do not like my toes or heeels at the absolute edge of the sandal.

I hope this helps.

Consider Telic brand, foam flip/flops and slides as well. They are similar to Oofos. Same idea, different styles and colors.

While more expensive than basic flip flops, they do provide better foot and arch support. Also they are far better cushioned.

I live in South Florida and use Oofos slides around the house. I prefer not wearing outdoor shoes inside.

At the beach, I use Telic flip flops. I rate them as equivalent in cushioning and overall foot support.

I find both brands at running stores and small shoes shops. However, both are available online as well.

Refer to:
http://www.oofos.com/
Or
https://www.telic.com/

I generally go up one size as I do not like my toes or heeels at the absolute edge of the sandal.

I hope this helps.
Those Telic's look good.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Where do you get fake crocs?
Here in NZ you can find them in any $2Shop (usually for five or six dollars and you have to want black or pink), or $20 for a thicker sole (but still nowhere near as firm as the real thing) at Number One Shoes.

I brought with me a good pair of Tevas (I forgot the model). I used them not in the shower but to walk the many flat sections in the Camino to give some relief to my blistered feet.
No problems with pebbles, dirt, etc getting between my toes since I wore socks. It was not pretty (I got some weird looks from the well-attired in Burgos) but it was effective.
Me too! They saved my Camino when I had blisters on the outsides of my pinky toes. Europeans don't seem to see socks and sandals as a problem like we do in the US. Sigh.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
6oz sandals has me sold.
There have been a few times when my feet get tired on longer walks, I just take my shoes off and finish the last couple of miles barefoot.
Yeah that and I read a blog where a woman mentioned that she had no problems hiking in them as well. I did a day hike once on the AT in birks and was happy as a clam, but it was TN and it was stinking hot! lol

I take Teva Verras, with thin straps, lightweight but hikeable soles. Straps dry fast and I like the option for hiking, since they're not flip flops. I'm not sure they make the Verra anymore but there are similar Tirras on their website.
64459_700.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yeah that and I read a blog where a woman mentioned that she had no problems hiking in them as well. I did a day hike once on the AT in birks and was happy as a clam, but it was TN and it was stinking hot! lol
If I could wear my Clark sandals on Camino, I would. So comfortable.

If I could wear my Clark sandals on Camino, I would. So comfortable.

Yeah if I were not walking in March, I would definitely be one of those people hiking in sandals exclusively. My feet are always happiest that way.

https://xeroshoes.com/shop/ready-to-wear-barefoot-sandals/ztrail-women/

I should say these haven't been tested on the camino yet. And I got them significantly cheaper (cyber Monday sale), but they can go both on the trail (if you are comfortable with minimalist shoes), out in the evenings, and into the shower, and they weigh 6 ounces. They bend into balls like a tiek! I plan on wearing them into the shower if it looks questionable, but also with socks in the evening, to give my feet a break from boots.
I took the Xero sandals with me last fall, walked to the rough bit at the top of the Pyrenees in them, several other sections, and certainly around cities and in the evening. They were great. I go barefoot in the shower, just watch where I put my feet if it's sketchy. They may make another appearance in April on the Norte/Primativo - after posting I had found the perfect hiking shoes, I hadn't, so an currently thinking about just wearing my new somewhat sturdy but light weight Khombu hiking sandals with the Xeros for backup. After two caminos I am finding my feet do not like to be enclosed for any length of time or distance by anything other than clown shoes! I'll keep you all posted - Cherry

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took the Xero sandals with me last fall, walked to the rough bit at the top of the Pyrenees in them, several other sections, and certainly around cities and in the evening. They were great. I go barefoot in the shower, just watch where I put my feet if it's sketchy. They may make another appearance in April on the Norte/Primativo - after posting I had found the perfect hiking shoes, I hadn't, so an currently thinking about just wearing my new somewhat sturdy but light weight Khombu hiking sandals with the Xeros for backup. After two caminos I am finding my feet do not like to be enclosed for any length of time or distance by anything other than clown shoes! I'll keep you all posted - Cherry

So glad to hear that they worked for you! I also bought their closed toe shoes (men's only, at the moment), and absolutely love them. I got them all really cheap around Black Friday...for those who don't need them right away, I'd wait for then to purchase.

I admire and envy those of you who are willing to go barefoot in the albergue showers, but unfortunately I seem unable to reconcile to myself that it's "ok", so I end up needing to bring 3 pr of shoes. Hikers, evening sandals, and flipflops.

I admire and envy those of you who are willing to go barefoot in the albergue showers, but unfortunately I seem unable to reconcile to myself that it's "ok", so I end up needing to bring 3 pr of shoes. Hikers, evening sandals, and flipflops.

I confess I'm with you on this one. I grew up camping with my folks and we have camped with our kids for years. Shower shoes is a must, imho.

I take Teva Verras, with thin straps, lightweight but hikeable soles. Straps dry fast and I like the option for hiking, since they're not flip flops. I'm not sure they make the Verra anymore but there are similar Tirras on their website.

They do still make the Verra I believe - though I've never tried it.

I've tried Tirras, but found them uncomfortable - the double cross straps up front chafed my toes all kind of wrong. The Terra-Fi Lites are about the same weight (~15 oz/pair), but far more comfortable, in my opinion. I can hike in those no problem.

Teva's got something new out now - the Terra Float, using a much lighter material. I think they are ~12oz/pair.

I found a pair on Amazon at a much lower price than the Teva site, and with free returns, so I'm going to give them a try.

Depends. Do you want your "evening sandals" to also be back-up "hikers" (as in not water shoes)? If so, then yes, you need 3 pairs.

But if you don't intend to actually ever hike in your evening sandals, then you can choose evening shoes - a slide, z-strap, clog, or flipflop - that are also waterproof and shower suitable.

Crocs are a good variety - durable, lots of styles (not just the ugly clogs), not too pricey, comfy.

But upthread, a couple of posters recommended 2 other varieties - OOfos and Telic - that look like fantastic options. These are waterproof like Crocs, but also designed to be "recovery shoes". They both seemed highly reviewed all over the place.

Depends. Do you want your "evening sandals" to also be back-up "hikers" (as in not water shoes)? If so, then yes, you need 3 pairs.

But if you don't intend to actually ever hike in your evening sandals, then you can choose evening shoes - a slide, z-strap, clog, or flipflop - that are also waterproof and shower suitable.

Crocs are a good variety - durable, lots of styles (not just the ugly clogs), not too pricey, comfy.

But upthread, a couple of posters recommended 2 other varieties - OOfos and Telic - that look like fantastic options. These are waterproof like Crocs, but also designed to be "recovery shoes". They both seemed highly reviewed all over the place.
Thank you for your observations and ideas. I will plan to ditch the shower flip flops if I can find a pair of Croc (or similar sandals for evenings) that are also water friendly. I need an open toe sandal because I like to add socks (dorky) on chilly evenings. I probably won't make them serve as bavk up hikers, only because that usually would mean more weight. I can't order online as my feet are very fussy, so will have to pound the pavement at home to find something that works.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can't order online as my feet are very fussy, so will have to pound the pavement at home to find something that works.
Ah, that's the beauty of Zappos with free shipping and return shipping! Order a bunch of shoes, try them on at your leisure at home, and return what doesn't work. I have to order many of my shoes because the stores simply refuse to carry my size.

Ah, that's the beauty of Zappos with free shipping and return shipping! Order a bunch of shoes, try them on at your leisure at home, and return what doesn't work. I have to order many of my shoes because the stores simply refuse to carry my size.
I suppose I should try Zappos. I've heard of them, but never used them. Sounds like I can have a whole shoe store right in my living room!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.