• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Barcelona

702Jenn

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hey all! I have a family trip starting in Barcelona on June 22 2023. Considering walking the Camino Portugues sometime before that. What is the simplest way to go from Santiago to Barcelona? Plane, train, combo? I don't mind paying a little more to avoid some headaches.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rome2Rio.com is always a good place to start. It looks like flying is probably the best option.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Plane is likely faster and cheaper, but the fast train (SdC-Madrid-Barcelona) has its benefits! You’ll see a great deal of the northern Spain countryside, be able to eat/drink while enroute, depart/arrive from the city centers, and generally have a much more relaxed journey. And of money is an issue, there is actually a direct train at a very slow 13 hours 😂. This latter train follows along much of the Camino Frances route, so you can revel at the fact that it takes 9 hours to cover the 30+ days you would have walked from Pamplona

Plane is likely faster and cheaper, but the fast train (SdC-Madrid-Barcelona) has its benefits! You’ll see a great deal of the northern Spain countryside, be able to eat/drink while enroute, depart/arrive from the city centers, and generally have a much more relaxed journey. And of money is an issue, there is actually a direct train at a very slow 13 hours 😂. This latter train follows along much of the Camino Frances route, so you can revel at the fact that it takes 9 hours to cover the 30+ days you would have walked from Pamplona
I did this years ago after spending 2+ months walking from BCN to SdC and even at 13 hours the experience was both jarring and a highlight of my trip, if you arent in a rush and enjoy being on trains, highly recommend the train.

Last edited:
If you are wanting to fly, Vueling (Spain's discount national carrier) has frequent direct flights from Santiago to Barcelona. In my experience the cost is reasonable and flight schedules are reliable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey all! I have a family trip starting in Barcelona on June 22 2023. Considering walking the Camino Portugues sometime before that. What is the simplest way to go from Santiago to Barcelona? Plane, train, combo? I don't mind paying a little more to avoid some headaches.
I have flown from Santiago to Barcelona and have taken the train - Santiago-Madrid-Barcelona. I much prefer the train, it is high-speed rail, less hassle than the airports, and is a great way to see the countryside. It does take a few hours longer, though.

I have flown from Santiago to Barcelona and have taken the train - Santiago-Madrid-Barcelona. I much prefer the train, it is high-speed rail, less hassle than the airports, and is a great way to see the countryside. It does take a few hours longer, though.
Thank you for your response. I'm leaning towards train as well, it sounds good. You only had to make the one transfer in Madrid? It looks like the train lines connect at the airports?

Thank you for your response. I'm leaning towards train as well, it sounds good. You only had to make the one transfer in Madrid? It looks like the train lines connect at the airports?
Yes, that was the most inconvenient part of a great trip. The Santiago train arrives at one train station and the Barce train leaves from another. It's an easy cab ride and the trains leave for Barcelona every 30 minutes (if I recall, could be an hour), so there's no rush to get across town. I love high-speed rail, so my input is biased 😃

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Although I have taken a direct flight between SdC and Barcelona, I far more prefer the train.

Off topic a bit, but once you and your family are in Barcelona, getting admission tickets in advance online is a must for places like the inside of Guadi’s Sagrada Familia or the Picasso Museum.

I usually fly, but now that I have heard about the slow train, I will take that next time. 13 hours of comfortable sightseeing.

Don’t forget the wine, cheese, olives, bread, and chorizo…😎

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
Hi! I plan to go on El Camino Portugues starting in Vigo this summer, and after, I am going to explore Europe. I need a suitcase for my trip after El Camino, and I have been struggling to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back