• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Hendaye by train

davejsy

Walked the Camino Francés for SSD UK 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 sept/Oct
Primitivo July 2024
Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience of this route via train? It does look like it's possible via Madrid (I can't see any options not via Madrid), but seems less than straight forward, although that could be due to my limited understanding of the Spanish train booking system. I basically need to get back St Malo in France (and can do this easily enough from Hendaye/Bayonne), and whilst flying to Paris (and then train to St Malo) from Santiago seems easiest and cheapest I would much prefer the train for various reasons. There does seem some options on the other side via Perpignan and some sleeper, but again it's hard to understand and the other side via Hendaye/Bayonne is more direct.

Getting to St Jean PdeP to the start from St Malo by train is relatively straight forward and not expensive which is great.

Thank you,

Dave

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello @davejsy, I'm planning an interrail trip at the moment and have been looking at travel to Hendaye from Galicia (Vigo, in my case).

I also came to the conclusion that it's probably best to do it via Madrid, even though it feels counter-intuitive. You can take a fast train to Madrid and another to San Sebastián. From there, take the local Euskotren to Hendaye.

I'm hoping that someone chimes in here with a smarter solution!

Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience of this route via train? It does look like it's possible via Madrid (I can't see any options not via Madrid), but seems less than straight forward, although that could be due to my limited understanding of the Spanish train booking system. I basically need to get back St Malo in France (and can do this easily enough from Hendaye/Bayonne), and whilst flying to Paris (and then train to St Malo) from Santiago seems easiest and cheapest I would much prefer the train for various reasons. There does seem some options on the other side via Perpignan and some sleeper, but again it's hard to understand and the other side via Hendaye/Bayonne is more direct.

Getting to St Jean PdeP to the start from St Malo by train is relatively straight forward and not expensive which is great.

Thank you,

Dave
There should be a train directly from Santiago to Irun with possible change in Palencia. From there, you can walk/take a taxi across the border to Hendaye. I have done that a couple of times; it'a running along a good part of the Camino, only this time, you can watch the pilgrims on the Camino from the restaurant couch, sipping some red... :cool:

Click the link below for details:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you have the time and like the idea of 'slow travel', take a look at the FEVE train (sometimes known as the small yellow train). You can take it all the way from Ferrol to Bilbao. Then, it's easy to continue with the Euskotren all the way to Hendaye. The scenery will be fabulous and you have the option of stopping in some wonderful towns if you want to. Will take a bit of research.

We will be walking later this year (from France to SdeC) and if time allows we will take the FEVE train to get back to Hendaye and then Bayonne etc.

1693925180067.png

The train along the coast is torture, I took it once many years ago. The bus isn't much better, it is all night long and stops quite a few times along the way. I agree watching from a dining car with a glass of wine would be my preference as well but Renfe hasn't come up with a solution.

If you have the time and like the idea of 'slow travel', take a look at the FEVE train (sometimes known as the small yellow train). You can take it all the way from Ferrol to Bilbao. Then, it's easy to continue with the Euskotren all the way to Hendaye. The scenery will be fabulous and you have the option of stopping in some wonderful towns if you want to. Will take a bit of research.

We will be walking later this year (from France to SdeC) and if time allows we will take the FEVE train to get back to Hendaye and then Bayonne etc.

View attachment 155822
Ferrol to Bilbao on the FEVE can be done in two days with very careful planning and a little luck. Three days makes for a much more relaxed trip. I'm planning a two - three week trip on FEVE for next Spring that will open up all sorts of delights. You can purchase the FEVE equivalent of an Interrail ticket that covers the whole of the network.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ferrol to Bilbao on the FEVE can be done in two days with very careful planning and a little luck. Three days makes for a much more relaxed trip. I'm planning a two - three week trip on FEVE for next Spring that will open up all sorts of delights. You can purchase the FEVE equivalent of an Interrail ticket that covers the whole of the network.
After we walked the Camino Ingles last fall we returned to Ferrol to take the FEVE as far as Santander. Our first stop was at the Playa de las Catedrales- just make sure you plan to be there at low tide! We enjoyed our ride and stopped at other places along the way- we only had a week so enjoy your time on the train. :) 🥾

There should be a train directly from Santiago to Irun with possible change in Palencia. From there, you can walk/take a taxi across the border to Hendaye. I have done that a couple of times; it'a running along a good part of the Camino, only this time, you can watch the pilgrims on the Camino from the restaurant couch, sipping some red... :cool:

This sounds just what I'm looking for thank you Alex. Will take a look :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

View attachment 155822
Knowing how beautiful the coast is by car would love to see it by train so will take a look. One of my favourite train rides is from Bermeo to Bilbao, and I love that kind of quaint travel! Thank you :)

There is a direct train from Santiago to Palencia and another from there to Irun.
That's about a 12 hour trip so you might need to overnight there
Walk over the bridge to Hendaye station for SNCF trains

No longer a direct train.... :-( It was even called Camino de Santiago.
I'd say change at Vitoria-Gasteiz instead of Palencia, the connection times work well. Although current bus replacements (link below) between Ourense and Monforte mean I've just used the Madrid route.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used the old direct service a couple of times for my early Caminos. The death sentence for rail journeys via Irun seems to have been when the main Paris to Madrid route shifted from Irun to Barcelona. Not much reason for long-distance services to Irun these days :-(

I'd say change at Vitoria-Gasteiz instead of Palencia, the connection times work well. Although current bus replacements (link below) between Ourense and Monforte mean I've just used the Madrid route.

Yes seems you can do via Vitoria if your dates are in next fortnight or so, but then nothing. Maybe you just can't book it too far in advance? Otherwise seems you can avoid going all the way to Madrid by changing at Segovia instead. Think I'm just going to have to look nearer the time.

Yes seems you can do via Vitoria if your dates are in next fortnight or so, but then nothing. Maybe you just can't book it too far in advance? Otherwise seems you can avoid going all the way to Madrid by changing at Segovia instead. Think I'm just going to have to look nearer the time.
Dave if you take this option and haven’t been to Segovia - you could break the journey and stay a night or two there. It’s a fabulous place. 😎

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dave if you take this option and haven’t been to Segovia - you could break the journey and stay a night or two there. It’s a fabulous place. 😎
Segovia does look amazing. I'm unsure of how much time I'll have as this will depend on when I get to Santiago, but it's definitely an option thank you :)

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back