• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Madrid - how far ahead is it necessary to book?

Kiwi-d

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sep/Oct 2014
I'm planning on spending three or four days in Madrid after finishing the Camino Frances in October, before flying home to NZ. Without knowing exactly when I'll arrive in Santiago, is it foolish of me to plan on buying a plane, bus or train ticket when I get there? And not having access to technology, will it be difficult to find a travel agent or bus/train station to make a reservation/buy a ticket?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, kiwi-d,
In my experience, you can easily get a seat a few days ahead of time. Especially since you will be going in October, I don't think you'll have any problem. I know a lot of people who have bought their tickets at RENFE stations along the Camino, about a week before stopping. It can be something to do in a small town without much going on, and it's hassle-free. But that was during high season when things get filled up.

The only advantage to buying ahead is that you can often get some really cheap fares online, and other posts recently have described the wonders of the apparently newly redone RENFE website. Buen camino, Laurie

My daughter and I walked the Camino last summer, and we had booked our flight home out of Barcelona, thinking it would be fun to see that city while we were there. However, we were rushed in our walk, because we had a deadline to catch this flight across the country. We were tired and dirty by the end, no clean clothes, and looking back, we wished we had just flown out of Santiago at the end of the walk, as it was such a fantastic walk, that it kind of spoiled it to go to the hustle and bustle of Barcelona, so far removed from the Camino. We wish now that we had spent the extra days on the trail seeing more of the villages we rushed through. We didn't pre-book our flight from Santiago to Barcelona, however, and it was easy to book a flight. (Avoid the airline that starts with "R!" at all cost, it is a total nightmare!) (Are we allowed to say that here?) There are national travel agents in offices in many places in Santiago, you will see their signs alongside the shops on the streets, (can't remember the name of them, but just ask anyone) to help with flights and accommodations. Don't forget to go to Finesterre, -- awesome ride through the seaside villages along the way on the bus. Also, we wished we had more time in Santiago, it was fabulous, we could have spent days there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm planning on spending three or four days in Madrid after finishing the Camino Frances in October, before flying home to NZ. Without knowing exactly when I'll arrive in Santiago, is it foolish of me to plan on buying a plane, bus or train ticket when I get there? And not having access to technology, will it be difficult to find a travel agent or bus/train station to make a reservation/buy a ticket?

There is ticket office for the train right next to the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago, and ticket office for the bus at the back of the courtyard where you enter the Pilgrims' Office. Both the main railroad station and the main bus station are within easy walking distance from the Pilgrims' Office -- a little over 1 km to the railroad station, and a little less than 2 km to the bus station.
Buen Camino,
Jim

Hi, kiwi-d,
In my experience, you can easily get a seat a few days ahead of time. Especially since you will be going in October, I don't think you'll have any problem. I know a lot of people who have bought their tickets at RENFE stations along the Camino, about a week before stopping. It can be something to do in a small town without much going on, and it's hassle-free. But that was during high season when things get filled up.

The only advantage to buying ahead is that you can often get some really cheap fares online, and other posts recently have described the wonders of the apparently newly redone RENFE website. Buen camino, Laurie

I agree with Peregrina2000 and others about not needing to book ahead since October is not in the high season. Early last May I bought a train ticket from Santiago to Madrid on the day of departure without any problem! If you are a risk-minimizer, you may want to book purchase a ticket a few days before getting to Santiago - once your schedule is more firmed up. One problem with pre-booking your plane/bus/train tickets is the rigidity of your schedule - and leaves no room for spur-of-the-moment kinds of explorations.

I arrived in SdC on an October morning. I attended the pilgrim's mass and walked down to the train station (about a 15 minute walk from the church), purchased an overnight train ticket to Madrid, and walked back into town and enjoyed the day in SdC. That night (about 2200 hours), the train left for Madrid. The train arrived in Madrid about 0700 hours. It was cheap, easy, and needed no reservations. Madrid is awesome. Enjoy!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much everyone for your very helpful replies, you have eased my mind. I have 55 days in Spain, which I'm hoping will allow me to just potter along, getting side-tracked whenever opportunities arise. Not having to be anywhere at any particular time appeals (apart from the international flight home).

Most read last week in this forum

For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back