• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago tourism

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wondering how many days would you need to see all Santiago & surrounds have to offer. Are there things to see and do in Santiago after completion of camino Frances. Would be greatful for ideas and thoughts. Thanks

It really depends on what you are looking for or what your timelimits are.
The first time I reached Santiago I only stayed half a day and preferred to get back home quickly.
On other occasions I stayed a couple of days and savoured Santiago.
The town is especially gorgeous early in the morning and later in the evening when the bigger ( bus) groups left.
There is also the option to book an organised trip to Finisterre and Muxia if you prefer that.
Happy preparations.

This link might give you inspiration.

This is what I posted on an earlier thread regarding Santiago.

Have a delicious breakfast at Cafe Tertulia.
Go to Mass at San Agustin and hopefully listen to an inspiring sermon from one of the priests.
Then a stroll to the nearby mercado and observing how the locals go on with their daily life.
Reading a book at Alameda Park.
Lunch at San Clemente.
Siesta in my hostal.
Then when the bigger groups have left , a visit to Praza Obradoiro and the cathedral.
Then maybe shopping for shoes...😄
Some pintxos at Bispo.
Nightcap at O Boneco or Casa das Crechas.

It really depends on what you are looking for or what your timelimits are.
The first time I reached Santiago I only stayed half a day and preferred to get back home quickly.
On other occasions I stayed a couple of days and savoured Santiago.
The town is especially gorgeous early in the morning and later in the evening when the bigger ( bus) groups left.
There is also the option to book an organised trip to Finisterre and Muxia if you prefer that.
Happy preparations.

This link might give you inspiration.

Excellent thank you. I decided Im going to take my time after my walk and soak it all up

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The longest I've stayed over after walking the CF has been three days. I found that two days after my arrival I didn't recognise any of the new arrivals and no longer felt a part of the "family". On the fourth day I was happy to be heading home.

So one day to "decompress" and two days of being a tourist (rather than a traveller) and off I went.

Having said that, working in Santiago for two weeks was a blast as it's a lovely city but then I wasn't a foot weary pilgrim.

You've come a long way, both from home and from SJPP, and everything will be new to you so soak away - you may never pass this Way again! (Bet you do though ;) )

BC.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wondering how many days would you need to see all Santiago & surrounds have to offer. Are there things to see and do in Santiago after completion of camino Frances. Would be greatful for ideas and thoughts. Thanks
My first Camino I got to Santiago quicker than I had expected and decided to stay a week until my flight to Barcelona. Way too long. I would say 2-4 days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would add to the list of important things to see the Pobo Gallego Folk Museum.
Fantastic!
Annie, I want you to know that after all these years of ignoring your passionate advice, I finally went to the museum. You are so right. It’s fantastic. They had an entire gaitero shop, given by the family, some beautiful traditional dress, lots of info on fishing,

End of the three spiral staircases swirling around each other were really cool.

There are lots of threads with good information, but I really like this one that’s relatively recent.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree with folks that say "it all depends on you". I know that I NEVER truly run out of things to do - I always find something.....
I spent 2 1/2 days in Santiago (counting my arrival day). I did the Cathedral Tour w\Museum and walked through streets of Old City and to Alameda Park. I had awesome lunches and dinners at whatever places I stopped and was never disappointed by the quality and quantity of food. I of course had to dedicate some time to souvenir shopping (and I have a big list of folks at home who warrants to get something) so that also took some time... and I (also of course) had to spend some time by the Pilgrim Ghost at Plaza de la Quintana....
I honestly think that if I stayed the whole week (5-7 days) I would ABSOLUTELY find something to do on a very leisurely pace every single day.... so...again.... IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOU!
Good luck, enjoy and Buen Camino

Last edited:
We have spent several weeks in Santiago going to Language School and went to a variety of museums, restaurants, church services, tours, etc. There is plenty to do and when there's time, just having a beverage or snack in the cafe in the Alameda Park is nice. We also enjoyed going down to the Cathedral and watching pilgrims complete their Caminos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, so my plans have slightly changed after completing the Coastal Portuguese and Finisterre/Muxia caminos on June 13. I now have 2 extra days in Santiago and was wondering where I should head...
Hi my name is Bren I have started a daily AA English speaking meeting At 3Rua da Porta da Pena Casa Anglicana 6-7pm daily. Spread the word
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.