• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria or ferrol??

Pasha

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago may 2018
Hi.. I'm from Dublin, Ireland and plan on doing the last section of the Camino Santiago next may... trying to figure out best place to start.. so far from what I've read the 2 most popular are sarria and ferrol? Has anyone any advice on which is best? I was swaying with sarria but I'm wondering is it easier to get transport direct to ferrol from Santiago...
Any help/advice much appreciated

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've walked both routes and personally I'd prefer the Camino Ingles from Ferrol. Far smaller numbers - with the slight downside of less infrastructure to support pilgrims. Reports this year suggest that it is becoming increasingly popular and bed numbers available have not kept up with increasing demand. The route itself is more varied than the last chunk of the Frances.

Ferrol is easier to reach than Sarria - several direct buses each day from Santiago with a short journey time of about 1 hour 20 minutes. To get to Sarria is a longer and slower business which usually involves changing buses in Lugo.

http://www.monbus.es/es/rutas-puntos-de-venta/155/viajar-santiago-de-compostela-ferrol/

Start in Sarria for the "authentic camino" feeling. I suggest that you NOT make the decision based on the number of pilgrims on the route. Other pilgrims are what a camino is about; scenery and history are secondary. The infrastructure on the Camino Ingles lags behind the demand for beds, so even if there is a lower number of pilgrims, crowding may be even worst than on the Camino Frances. I agree with Bradypus about preferring the Ingles, but not as a first camino. Join the crowds; I think you will be happy that you did. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ferrol to Santiago is a lovely route and not too crowded in May. If possible take more than the 5 days and use the available accommodation lists to create your own stages. Some people arrive in Ferrol in the afternoon and walk out to Neda/Naron where there is private accommodation as well as the Neda albergue. We then walked to Pontedeume; Mino; Betanzos; took 2 days to reach Bruma (there is now an albergue at Presedo); broke the stage to Sigueiro making that 2 days as well, then to Santiago.
We found some fellow pilgrims but were able to enjoy walking without too many others around us. Sarria onwards can be crowded with those who set of from far back at around Easter - and crowds are not our scene.

Start in Sarria for the "authentic camino" feeling. I suggest that you NOT make the decision based on the number of pilgrims on the route. Other pilgrims are what a camino is about; scenery and history are secondary. The infrastructure on the Camino Ingles lags behind the demand for beds, so even if there is a lower number of pilgrims, crowding may be even worst than on the Camino Frances. I agree with Bradypus about preferring the Ingles, but not as a first camino. Join the crowds; I think you will be happy that you did. :)

Just goes to show how different we all are in what we hope to find on our journeys :) Last year I walked for 17 days on a pilgrim route in Sweden and Norway and met just 3 other pilgrims (and two of those were a couple travelling together). This spring I walked for 10 days on the Sanabres and met only two other walkers in total. My idea of heaven :) On my first Camino Frances I probably met fewer than 30 pilgrims in total between St Jean and Santiago. I know that I much preferred that first experience to my third walk along the very busy Camino Frances last year. I certainly do not think that my first journey - almost entirely solitary - was any less of an "authentic camino". Each to their own.

Last edited:
Hi.. I'm from Dublin, Ireland and plan on doing the last section of the Camino Santiago next may... trying to figure out best place to start.. so far from what I've read the 2 most popular are sarria and ferrol? Has anyone any advice on which is best? I was swaying with sarria but I'm wondering is it easier to get transport direct to ferrol from Santiago...
Any help/advice much appreciated
Hi Pasha
I have walked both- The Francis in 2016 and last month completed the Ingles, Ferrol to Santiago. The Ferrol route is considerably shorter and a more solitary walk. There are fewer pilgrims and also fewer hostels . I loved it though and wrote a very detailed log of my camino so maybe that might help you decide? Whichever route I wish you well and buen camino! Roisin

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you all so mwell ch for taking the time to reply... I have to say tho as I'm going alone I think sarria might suit me better.. I hope to meet people along the way and the fewer accommodation issue scares me a little... I am already dreading the bus to sarria but I think it will be worth it..
I'm so excited and happy I found this forum for advice from people who have actually done the Camino
Thanks again
Paula

Can I ask another question? Is there a certain place or starting spot in sarria..?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Pasha
I have walked both- The Francis in 2016 and last month completed the Ingles, Ferrol to Santiago. The Ferrol route is considerably shorter and a more solitary walk. There are fewer pilgrims and also fewer hostels . I loved it though and wrote a very detailed log of my camino so maybe that might help you decide? Whichever route I wish you well and buen camino! Roisin
Thank you for your reply
Paula

Just goes to show how different we all are in what we hope to find on our journeys :) Last year I walked for 17 days on a pilgrim route in Sweden and Norway and met just 3 other pilgrims (and two of those were a couple travelling together). This spring I walked for 10 days on the Sanabres and met only two other walkers in total. My idea of heaven :) On my first Camino Frances I probably met fewer than 30 pilgrims in total between St Jean and Santiago. I know that I much preferred that first experience to my third walk along the very busy Camino Frances last year. I certainly do not think that my first journey - almost entirely solitary - was any less of an "authentic camino". Each to their own.
Thanks so much for your reply

Thank you I think I will start in sarria? Is there a particular "starting point" and is it easy to find your way along the whole route? I'm guessing I just follow people and maybe some signs?
Very clueless
Thanks again
Paula

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Paula,

I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you start. The advantage of Sarria is that there'll be a lot of other people in the same boat as you just starting out.

Where to start is pretty arbitrary I'd say but I'd say the top of the large flight of steps where the Rua Escalinata Maior meets Rua Maior is as good a place as any. But there are plenty of signs in Sarria so shouldn't be a problem.

Buen Camino.

Hi Paula,

I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you start. The advantage of Sarria is that there'll be a lot of other people in the same boat as you just starting out.

Where to start is pretty arbitrary I'd say but I'd say the top of the large flight of steps where the Rua Escalinata Maior meets Rua Maior is as good a place as any. But there are plenty of signs in Sarria so shouldn't be a problem.

Buen Camino.
Thanks for that info.. it's a lot when you really don't have a clue but I'm sure it will all fall into place
Thanks again

Hard to answer your question without knowing the purpose of your Camino. A vacation? A sports exercise? A leisure walk? A spiritual walk? A religious reflection? A serious life turnover point? A loss of a dear one? The need for guidance on future direction in your life? Solitude & life reflections vs. comraderie and fun? The need to get a Compostela at the end, for whatever good private reason?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Start in Sarria for the "authentic camino" feeling. Other pilgrims are what a camino is about; scenery and history are secondary.
That would depend on what one thinks an authentic camino feeling is. Recently heard it called the "walking Love boat", as in the 70s tv show about adventures on a cruise ship (la croisière s'amuse in Frech). :eek:

Not far from the truth, although the walking may even be a bit of an exageration for some. o_O

Thank you I think I will start in sarria? Is there a particular "starting point" and is it easy to find your way along the whole route? I'm guessing I just follow people and maybe some signs?
Very clueless
Thanks again
Paula
Hi Pasha
Welcome to the forum
I feel you have made a good choice for your first camino. Part of the joy is the connections you make on the way (the camino family).
'Starting point ' - if you choose Sarria ., all you need to do is make sure you get your credencial stamped (a sello) anywhere in Sarria. Whether it is a bar(cafe) or turismo (tourist information centre ) - this proves your starting point. Your accommodation if you sleep there woukd also add a sello.
Over the days walking toward Santiago de Compostela , it is advisable to get 2 sellos per day in your credencial.

You will find enough other peregrinos about in Sarria to give you some encouragement to get started. The way will have more than enough shells or yellow arrows about to show you the way IF you are alone. Your eye will soon start to see the signs toward SdeC.
Buen Camino
Annie

Hi Pasha
Welcome to the forum
I feel you have made a good choice for your first camino. Part of the joy is the connections you make on the way (the camino family).
'Starting point ' - if you choose Sarria ., all you need to do is make sure you get your credencial stamped (a sello) anywhere in Sarria. Whether it is a bar(cafe) or turismo (tourist information centre ) - this proves your starting point. Your accommodation if you sleep there woukd also add a sello.
Over the days walking toward Santiago de Compostela , it is advisable to get 2 sellos per day in your credencial.

You will find enough other peregrinos about in Sarria to give you some encouragement to get started. The way will have more than enough shells or yellow arrows about to show you the way IF you are alone. Your eye will soon start to see the signs toward SdeC.
Buen Camino
Annie
Thank you Annie that info is a great help it's things like this I need to know before going...
I've been reading some threads on the abugueries (spelt wrong I'm sure) do you know if there is an alternative if I wanted a comfy night in a room to myself 1 of the nights?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Annie that info is a great help it's things like this I need to know before going...
I've been reading some threads on the abugueries (spelt wrong I'm sure) do you know if there is an alternative if I wanted a comfy night in a room to myself 1 of the nights?
Hi Pasha
It will come together much more easily than you imagine. With any unknown, your mind builds possible negatives.
Accommodation - There are many on line lists with guide - Gronze.com is just one. This will give a selection of places to stay.
You will also notice many signs/adverts for accommodation attached to trees or fences/walls along the way of Albergues or hostels Etc ., with phone number and a picture.
There are also new accommodations not listed in guides.
Since you have until next May., check out guides and there are some on the 'resources section ' of this forum .
You will find though that you will gravitate to making friends with a group or at least another and make decisions as you go.
But the answer is yes., you can find a room to be alone if you need to.
So many Irish now - great fun to walk with.
I was in Dublin visiting Ireland for two weeks in may (before my June Spain fix) catching up with camino friends from previous years.
Annie

Hi Pasha
It will come together much more easily than you imagine. With any unknown, your mind builds possible negatives.
Accommodation - There are many on line lists with guide - Gronze.com is just one. This will give a selection of places to stay.
You will also notice many signs/adverts for accommodation attached to trees or fences/walls along the way of Albergues or hostels Etc ., with phone number and a picture.
There are also new accommodations not listed in guides.
Since you have until next May., check out guides and there are some on the 'resources section ' of this forum .
You will find though that you will gravitate to making friends with a group or at least another and make decisions as you go.
But the answer is yes., you can find a room to be alone if you need to.
So many Irish now - great fun to walk with.
I was in Dublin visiting Ireland for two weeks in may (before my June Spain fix) catching up with camino friends from previous years.
Annie
Thanks so much Annie I'll check those out.. I'm looking forward to meeting people along the way.. and I don't want to have everything booked be nice to just wing it for once but once I know that's possible haha
Thanks again
Paula

According to Gronze.com it's actually 4 km longer. From Sarria 115 km and from Ferrol 119 km to SdC ;)

I'm beginning to mistrust the distances stated in some guide books!
Our group walked 146 on the Camino Ingles from Ferrol, but we did stay at some accommodation off the Camino.

Feral - Neda - 22kms
Neda - Pontedeume - 16kms
Pontedeume - Mino - 15kms
Mino - Betanzos- 16kms
Betanzos- Abegondo- 15kms
Abegondo- 'Meson do Vento- 15kms
Meson do Vento- Abaixo - 11kms
Abaixo - Sigueiro- 22kms
Sigueiro - Santiago - 14kms

All these distances taken from an average of FitBit readings.

That said I much prefer the Camino Ingles for its authenticity and peacefulness. The lack of infrastructure was a bonus for us.

Each to his own though!

Whichever way you choose for your Camino, I hope you have a wonderful time!
Sheena

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Our group walked 146 on the Camino Ingles from Ferrol, but we did stay at some accommodation off the Camino.

Feral - Neda - 22kms
Mino - Betanzos- 16kms
Abaixo - Sigueiro- 22kms

That said I much prefer the Camino Ingles for its authenticity and peacefulness. The lack of infrastructure was a bonus for us.

Each to his own though!

Sheena
Thank you Sheena.. I'm going to start in sarria for my 1st... I really can't wait for it but not till may so I'm gonna have to
Thanks again
Paula

@Pasha I think Sarria is a great choice for a first camino. I've walked quite a few of the different routes and I still think Sarria to Santiago is lovely walking - soft Galician paths, gentle hills, good infrastructure, and other pilgrims to keep you company.

Buen Camino!

@Pasha I think Sarria is a great choice for a first camino. I've walked quite a few of the different routes and I still think Sarria to Santiago is lovely walking - soft Galician paths, gentle hills, good infrastructure, and other pilgrims to keep you company.

Buen Camino!
That's exactly what I'm looking for kangaroo especially cause it's my first and on my own so anything will be exciting but I want to meet loads of people..
A girl I kind of know did it recently and has given me info too, she loved it.. sarria was my gut instinct no idea why but it was.. so I'm gonna stick with it

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
GIGO:)

A Fitbit counts steps fairly accurately, but distance is just a calculation from data input by the user. I would not rely on it for the accuracy on distance!

Feral - Neda - 22kms
Mino - Betanzos- 16kms
Abaixo - Sigueiro- 22kms

Each to his own though!

Sheena
Completely agree that distances in guides are very different and usually info how were they measured isn't included in the guide. I just wanted to inform OP and others who might be mislead by post that Ingles in "significantly" shorter. It is longer in fact.

Just for the accuracy sake of Ingles mileage I will post my stages from 2016. I walked strictly on marked Camino, no detours are incorporated in distances. I started in old port of Ferrol at the official starting point huge granite block, other distances are measured from albergue to albergue (because of injury I was only able to walk short stages and used all of Ingles albergues) and in the end right to the center of Praza do Obradoiro. Distances were recorded by Wikiloc (that's GPS and not calculation with steps which can be longer on flat and shorter on up/down hills) which I have found most accurate of all similar apps.
Ferrol - Xubia (albergue de Neda): 15,6km
- Pontedeume: 16,1
- Mino: 11,1
- Betanzos: 11,9
- Presedo: 14,1
- Hospital de Bruma: 16,3
- Sigueiro (Praza Concello): 24,8
- Santiago: 17,3
Total: 127,2km

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back