• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago in four days

drsalerno

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2013
I will be walking the final stage in early March and would like to do it in four days. Are there any recommendations for the best way to segment the trip? Most travel sites suggest 5-6 days. I would love to know if there are recommendations for accommodations in places other than the popular intermediary points.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was initially a bit hesitant to reply as it seems a shame to set out with such a short time frame. However, it's not my pilgrimage, it's yours and to each his/her own.

Having said that, I confess to only taking four days from Triacastela on my first pilgrimage. That wasn't planned, it just happened that way and was after I had already walked for three and a half weeks so fitness wasn't an issue.

My stages with approximate distances in brackets from Triacastela were Ferreiros (33km), Palas de Rei (32 kms), Arzua (28kms), Santiago (37kms).

If you arrived in Sarria early enough you could possibly walk to Ferreiros because it's only about 13kms. That would enable you to break up the last day.

Hiya drsalerno,

lots of options depending on how you feel like breaking it up. There is no 'best' way per se. I played around with a few different options and I think the below combination allows you to complete in four days, achieves a relatively even distribution of kilometers, and still puts you in locations at the end of the day with reasonable accommodation options (perhaps less so in Gonzar).
Day 1: Sarria to Gonzar. 30.6km
Day 2: Gonzar to Melide: 31.3km
Day 3: Melide to A Rua: 32.1km
Day 4: A Rua to Santiago: 20.7km

Check out the following websites for assistance with working out where you want to stay:
http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-frances.htm

Cheers,

Jason.

Attachments

• 4 Day Camino.gif
    4 Day Camino.gif
    20 KB · Views: 1,281
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As the others have shown, I think 4 days is very reasonable. We made it past Sarria to Morgade, then stayed in Palas de Rei, Arzua and Amenal so that we had a short day into Santiago and were able to make it for noon mass. That involved a couple really long days (30-35km) but it wasn't too bad. So from Sarria you could do it as well, maybe with a normal length final day. Enjoy.

NateFaith,

We are really excited to see you in Santiago. I already wish it was March...I am really looking forward to this trip!

jastrace, thank you for this information! It is wonderful and detailed. It will make our decision-making much easier.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
jastrace said:
... and still puts you in locations at the end of the day with reasonable accommodation options (perhaps less so in Gonzar).

What I meant to say above was not that the accommodation options in Gonzar were unreasonable, nor did I mean to imply that they were inferior, just that Gonzar is a small village and there are only a couple of places to stay.

Cheers,

Jason.

Gonzar:
Albergue privado Casa García

(37 votos) ¡Me gusta! 35 comentarios

Dirección: Gonzar , 3
Localidad: Gonzar
Teléfono de contacto: 982 157 842, 670 862 386
Propiedad del albergue: Privado
Institución o administración encargada de los costes de mantenimiento: Particular
Persona encargada de atender el albergue: Norberto García
Observaciones: Albergue con bar-restaurante. Menús y desayunos
This fairly new albergue is just off the Camino. I have not stopped there, since the bar next to the municipal albergue has always been my coffee stop. It appears nice, and gets good reviews. The older municipal albergue may be a lower quality accommodation.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
falcon269 said:
Gonzar:
Albergue privado Casa García I have not stopped there, since the bar next to the municipal albergue has always been my coffee stop. It appears nice, and gets good reviews. The older municipal albergue may be a lower quality accommodation.
We've stayed here and liked it. The Garcia family (elder couple) with their younger staff are very helpful, the food is good (dinner and breakfast), and the accommodations with sanitary decent.
The signs from the main road to the albergue in the center of the village are not evident. You can also backtrack a short distance from the bar and the municipal albergue. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jason,

Thank you so much for the information and the "map." I just finished the four day Camino today. It was great!

Blessings,

Mitch

Jason,

Thank you so much for the information and the "map." I just finished the four day Camino today. It was great!

Blessings,

Mitch
Hi Mitch, which route did you decide to take?
I am leaving this weekend to walk for four days also would appreciate any advise!
Thanks

Hi Mitch, which route did you decide to take?
I am leaving this weekend to walk for four days also would appreciate any advise!
Thanks
Lydia, He hasn't been on the forum for a couple of years but perhaps others can help with your question.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back