• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Sarria to Santiago - safety tips and tricks in December

Ioana23

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - planned
Hello, I was looking on the forum on updated topics regarding the safety but decided to came along with me questions.
How is the safety along the route from Sarria to Santiago during early december ?
How bad is the weather ?
From your personal experiences, did you do this route or any other in off season? How many tourists did you meet during the days?
Is police or security people along the route?
The paths between small towns are dangerous?
I am planning to travel alone (i am a woman) and I am not concern over the hours of walking or the weather or even the small theft, but I am a bit concerned regarding bad people with bad intentions.
All the accommodations are at hostels or pensions so I will have my own room with my own key. But I am a bit scared if there are groups of boys who will intend to do harm.
How is your experience?
Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The weather can be very variable. Plan for prolonged periods of rain and then be grateful if you do not encounter any. The Camino paths are not routinely patrolled by police outside the main summer season but incidents of assault or violent crime are extremely rare. The main criminal threat is from sneak thieves overnight in albergues and even that is rare. As a man my experience and my concerns may be different but I have never considered any Camino route "dangerous" from the perspective of crime and least of all the Camino Frances which is so popular with other walkers.

I can't speak to the weather in December as I have never walked during that time- I walked the Sarria portion the last week of september into october. Camino is probably the safest space I have ever been in. I never once was concerned about people with "bad intentions".
I did not meet any tourists. I did meet lots of pilgrims. (lol people get bent about the difference.)

I understand being cautious, especially when walking alone in a foreign country where one may not speak the language fluently, and during a season where there may be less people about but I think your concern is overblown. There are no gangs of boys waiting to pounce on defenceless girls.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are also some con artists, but no violent crime that I have seen reported. The scammers we have encountered on this stretch are women pretending to be deaf who want you to sign a paper on a clipboard. They are not deaf and try to urge you to donate.

As a woman, I would not feel afraid to walk this by myself. I will be walking in December and January on this stretch with 10 college students. (Mostly young women) I expect the weather to be rainy and chilly.

I can't speak to the weather in December as I have never walked during that time- I walked the Sarria portion the last week of september into october. Camino is probably the safest space I have ever been in. I never once was concerned about people with "bad intentions".
I did not meet any tourists. I did meet lots of pilgrims. (lol people get bent about the difference.)

I understand being cautious, especially when walking alone in a foreign country where one may not speak the language fluently, and during a season where there may be less people about but I think your concern is overblown. There are no gangs of boys waiting to pounce on defenceless girls.
thank you. better safe than sorry. better to speak up my thoughts than to regret them before. I know the fear is mostly in my head, but I want to be sure.

There are also some con artists, but no violent crime that I have seen reported. The scammers we have encountered on this stretch are women pretending to be deaf who want you to sign a paper on a clipboard. They are not deaf and try to urge you to donate.

As a woman, I would not feel afraid to walk this by myself. I will be walking in December and January on this stretch with 10 college students. (Mostly young women) I expect the weather to be rainy and chilly.
these kind of people are everywhere and they are harmless. my concern was more about men. When exactly will you go? maybe we'll meet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked multiple caminos alone as a woman from my late 20s till more than a decade later. Even in December there will be other pilgrims walking that section from Sarria. You will not find any gangs seeking to do you harm.
Unfortunately, there are very rare events of theft or a man exposing themselves- but given human nature wherever in the world you are these can happen. I don't see these as reasons not to travel or hike - given I have had both happen close to home.
And I will be back out on camino from Leon in early January solo.

these kind of people are everywhere and they are harmless. my concern was more about men. When exactly will you go? maybe we'll meet
We will be in Sarria on Dec 30 and starting walking Dec 31. We will end in Santiago on Jan 7. Taking extra days as this is a class on self-care and we'll be visiting a few cultural sites along the way. Plus some student presentations and homework for them to complete.

From your personal experiences, did you do this route or any other in off season? How many tourists did you meet during the days?
I did walk from Puente-La-Reina to Burgos during last december.
There was very few pilgrims (mainly korean, surprisingly) and about zero tourists.
Take care that Galicia is sometimes wet. I just come back from León to Santiago (via the Francés): it was 12 days of rain...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I did walk from Puente-La-Reina to Burgos during last december.
There was very few pilgrims (mainly korean, surprisingly) and about zero tourists.
Take care that Galicia is sometimes wet. I just come back from León to Santiago (via the Francés): it was 12 days of rain...
and in october with all that rain, there were still pilgrims?

Yes, of course. Pilgrims move towards their objective, Santiago, regardless of the weather.

We had torrential rains for nearly a week when we crossed Galicia in 2014. I can easily recall leaving one morning when we were nice and dry and the rain was coming down so very hard. All the pilgrims walking past had their heads down and were just moving through the rain. We took one deep breathe and stepped into the rain to start our day.

That is the way of the pilgrim.

I finished Camino Ingles (similar route length of Sarria to Santiago) October 31. It rained every day. Yes, there were still pilgrims. People walk Camino at all times of year and in all sorts of weather - there was snow at Cruz de Ferro 6 days ago. We don't usually get to choose the weather we want, although we can choose to walk at certain times of year when the weather is likely to be more favourable. When we book a Camino, we take whatever weather gets thrown at us - or quit and head to a beach for a holiday lol.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have served in the winter on both the Camino Frances and the Via de la Plata as a hospitalera. Although there are fewer pilgrims there are always some. The winter season is less crowded. Fewer places are open, but some people prefer it. For those working in some industries, the winter is the quiet time so it makes more sense for them to walk then.

I have served in the winter on both the Camino Frances and the Via de la Plata as a hospitalera. Although there are fewer pilgrims there are always some. The winter season is less crowded. Fewer places are open, but some people prefer it. For those working in some industries, the winter is the quiet time so it makes more sense for them to walk then.
thank you very much for your response and it is awesome that you are so involved in this. very nice!

It sounds like you already have things reserved, however, there is a website that is regularly updated in the winter for pilgrims on the Camino Frances which lets you know if you need to call in advance. You can find it here. In addition in the state of Galicia along the entire route from Sarria to Santiago there are numerous albergues along this route that are run and supported by the state of Galicia. They are open 365 days per year. They don't take reservations or accept luggage transport, but are also another option for winter pilgrims.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked it in December a few years ago. There is generally only 1 or 2 albergues open in each stage so everybody ends up the same albergue which means it is quite good from a social perspective. Be prepared for it being very wet but still enjoyable.

Yes, we were quite surprise to meet not so few pilgrims.
Yet, most of albergues were ready to close (often on october 31th).

Just looking at the calendar and I think Dec 6 is a holiday in Spain and may result in more pilgrims on the Camino or maybe more tourists in Santiago. Something to be aware of as you are walking and looking for services.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just looking at the calendar and I think Dec 6 is a holiday in Spain and may result in more pilgrims on the Camino or maybe more tourists in Santiago. Something to be aware of as you are walking and looking for services.

Indeed. Six and Eight of December.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, I was looking on the forum on updated topics regarding the safety but decided to came along with me questions.
How is the safety along the route from Sarria to Santiago during early december ?
How bad is the weather ?
I am planning to travel alone (i am a woman) and I am not concern over the hours of walking or the weather or even the small theft, but I am a bit concerned regarding bad people with bad intentions.
All the accommodations are at hostels or pensions so I will have my own room with my own key. But I am a bit scared if there are groups of boys who will intend to do harm.
How is your experience?
Thank you!
Hi Ioana. As everyone says crime is very low and weather unpredictable. I've just got back from santiago after the section sarria to santiago. It was wet every day but I would rather that than summer heat I'm sure you will not have any problems along the way. A couple of things I would suggest asking if there are any rest areas open at that time of year I couldn't do without lunch and needed that fuel around 1pm every day so not sure how many are open in October when I went all seemed to be open although some were closing around 3pm think because most pilgrims had gone through for the day I will say though there is some excellent food on the trail and only had a snack in the evenings as lunch was so filling check albuques and hostels also. There is a souvenir shop about an hr out of sarria he will introduce himself to you I would recommend him to buy from it may be the only place actually on the camino trail you come across so if you want your wrist band and camino she'll get them there don't forget to write your name on the shell. Good luck and enjoy for me it was a blast and loved every step even the painful ones.

If it's any help

I did Ferrous ( 100k marker ) to Santiago in just under 24 hours. So I did almost 12 hours in DARKNESS. and didn't have any problems.... Often ( quite Often ) I didn't see anyone for hours upon hours. The only time wad when I saw a car at times I needed to cross a road or walk beside a road. My feeling is that it's way safer than the UK at night and daytime.... I am now looking at doing the Ingles in a day also.

ps. I think when I saw Ivar in his near shop. I am actually afraid of the dark. But that seemed to never raise its head. That's how safe I feel it is...

Another safety thing to know is that even when people are on pilgrimage together, they often walk at different speeds. To try to keep up with someone can increase the risk of blisters or other injuries so when my husband and I are together, we are often walking alone and then just waiting for the other one at a cafe or resting point. Many people do walk alone, both men and women.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would suggest September as the best month weather wise.

You will rarely be alone on this most popular of all Camino stages.

No keys in albergues except for a locker.

Have no fear and Buen Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
How bad is the weather ?
How is your experience?
Thank you!
Hello, I walked from Leon to Santiago in April, alone. I sm 76 yrs ols and walked slowly. I walked long passages totally alone because tje younger ones had passes me long before.
There were no policemen or guards on the way and I must say that a 15 kilometers stretch without a pilgrim pn sight didn’t feel very nice. My mantra walking after five o’clock was ” don’t let the darkness fall” It never did and no one disturbed me and no one was unfriendly. I was stolen some money but I slept in bunkbeds with many people. You are lucky having your own rooms. Do not close yourself away from the other peregrinos, enjoy dinners wlth others and learn to know other walkers by walking with them .I am sure there sre less bad people on the Camino than there are in cities. Do not be afraid, it will spoil your camino. From Sarria to Santiago is the most popular way on the Camino so I am sure you’ll have company on the way. Buon Camino and do tell news along the way.
Marja from Finland

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked Sarria to Santiago in mid January 2020 and met about 20 other pilgrims. It only rained one day but was very windy near Melide - could hear trees falling when in the nearby forest.

One thing to be aware of is the lack of open cafes/bars between major towns and then there may only be one option. Highly recommend stocking up on food from supermarkets the evening before. I just about managed to get two sellos each day.

I felt very safe as a lone female. ¡Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back