• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scanning Credential and Laminating Compostela

Maurice Frank

Camino for Community
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Sept-Oct 2023, Portuguese July-Aug 2024
First, let me say I understand that pilgrimage is an inner journey of transformation and that many pilgrims place little or no post-Camino importance on artifacts such as the Credential or the Compostella. I know some pilgrims do not even request a Compostella. I respect how others walk their Camino. What matters to me as described below will not matter to everyone, but perhaps to some.

I walked my first Camino (Frances) last fall, and for me my credential full of stamps and my Compostella are meaningful reminders of my Camino which I do consider a transformative pilgrimage.

To preserve these paper items I went to the Printing Services section in a local office supply store (Staples, but others provide the same service) and they laminated my Compostella protecting it on both sides. I also have a digital photo of it. At home, I used my multi-function printer to scan my Credential with all of its colorful stamps. I value these perishable documents and wanted to protect them. If you were unaware of these options, or just did not think of laminating or scanning, I am sharing my experience in case it helps you.

Again, I know these papers are not meaningful to everyone. These steps were part of my Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Maurice,
I agree entirely that such documents are meaningful, but may I belatedly suggest that lamination is NOT good for them. A friend is a curator in a museum and advises that a simple glass frame with a paper and cardboard backing is a much safer way to preserve the documents. Apparently, adhesives in lamination often have detrimental effects on the paper over time.

I know, too late now for you! But in the spirit in which you offer advice to others, so do I.
Regards, Digger

Hi Maurice,
I agree entirely that such documents are meaningful, but may I belatedly suggest that lamination is NOT good for them. A friend is a curator in a museum and advises that a simple glass frame with a paper and cardboard backing is a much safer way to preserve the documents. Apparently, adhesives in lamination often have detrimental effects on the paper over time.

I know, too late now for you! But in the spirit in which you offer advice to others, so do I.
Regards, Digger
@digger, I was unaware of that, so thank you. I have learned something. In the future, if I have any other paper items I will not laminate. As the saying goes, it seemed like a good idea at the time :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One year, perhaps a decade ago, I purchased an A4-sized binder and A4 plastic document sleeves at an Oriental Bazar in Santiago. This allows me to keep all my certificates in one convenient binder, on a shelf.

They are always there as memory joggers or for story telling. My credentials are in these page protectors too.

I found this to be a convenient, portable and compact method for keeping all my Camino documents together.

Hope this helps,

Tom

One year, perhaps a decade ago, I purchased an A4-sized binder and A4 plastic document sleeves at an Oriental Bazar in Santiago. This allows me to keep all my certificates in one convenient binder, on a shelf.

They are always there as memory joggers or for story telling. My credentials are in these page protectors too.

I found this to be a convenient, portable and compact method for keeping all my Camino documents together.

Hope this helps,

Tom
That sounds like a better option. Thank you

First, let me say I understand that pilgrimage is an inner journey of transformation and that many pilgrims place little or no post-Camino importance on artifacts such as the Credential or the Compostella. I know some pilgrims do not even request a Compostella. I respect how others walk their Camino. What matters to me as described below will not matter to everyone, but perhaps to some.

I walked my first Camino (Frances) last fall, and for me my credential full of stamps and my Compostella are meaningful reminders of my Camino which I do consider a transformative pilgrimage.

To preserve these paper items I went to the Printing Services section in a local office supply store (Staples, but others provide the same service) and they laminated my Compostella protecting it on both sides. I also have a digital photo of it. At home, I used my multi-function printer to scan my Credential with all of its colorful stamps. I value these perishable documents and wanted to protect them. If you were unaware of these options, or just did not think of laminating or scanning, I am sharing my experience in case it helps you.

Again, I know these papers are not meaningful to everyone. These steps were part of my Camino.
If you want to get and keep your compostelas and it is obviously important to you, no caveat is needed. You need not explain yourself to anyone. I have 8 compostelas. The first one means alot to me. I have given most of my other ones away to children, and close friends. They have all appreciated it. This year I will give my compostela to the wife of a dear friend who died this year. One my first camino I was walking behind a guy who very loudly declared (or should) I say shouted for all to here) that anyone who wants and gets a compostela, has no idea what a pilgrimage means. then denigrated the character of pilgrims who get compostelas and blah blah blah. After about 30 seconds of his blabber I walked up to him and told him I really want a compostela and how much it will mean to me. I then told him he was an obnoxious, self righteous, putz, whose opinion means S#$T to a tree and no one except for maybe his mother cares what he thinks. I saw him a few times in the next few days in bars. Can you believe he never asked me to join him for lunch or a drink????? So keep laminating your compostelas and your credentials and enjoy your memories and your plans for your next camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hi Maurice Frank, thanks for posting this and I was going to laminate my Credentials too but didn't think to laminate my Compostella's and thought the same reasons to preserve them but after Digger's advice I will think again, thanks to both of you...

Mark Mclaughlan

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.