• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scarpa boots...

Chacharm

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Frances (2012) Vie Del Norte (2015) Via Frances (2016) Le Puy (2017)
Last night I was putting mink oil on my boots and discovered that they are in pretty bad shape. The sole is separating from the boot on both in a couple of places, and there is a good tear in the ankle area of one.
I sort of had a moment of panic and got online and started looking for a new boot. Scarpa seems to be the best option with so little time to break them in. Plus - it looks like an amazingly comfortable boot.
But they don't sell them in Austin. So I BOUGHT THEM ONLINE.
Is this crazy?
Surely there are a bunch of people who have used these boots and swear by them and are ready to tell me I will love them...please?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last night I was putting mink oil on my boots and discovered that they are in pretty bad shape. The sole is separating from the boot on both in a couple of places, and there is a good tear in the ankle area of one.
I sort of had a moment of panic and got online and started looking for a new boot. Scarpa seems to be the best option with so little time to break them in. Plus - it looks like an amazingly comfortable boot.
But they don't sell them in Austin. So I BOUGHT THEM ONLINE.
Is this crazy?
Surely there are a bunch of people who have used these boots and swear by them and are ready to tell me I will love them...please?
Haven't tried them myself but few of my friends did and told me that they are quite narrow. I guess they're not really comfortable for people with wider feet. You just have to try them on longer walks with (at least half-)full backpack preferably few days in a row and then you'll know... Hope all goes well with your on-line purchase.

Ultreia!

TY! My feet are really quite narrow - so hopefully we'll be a good fit. Dedos a cruzado!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a large range of Scarpa boots, and you don't say which particular ones you bought. On all of my caminos I have worn Scarpa Trek boots, and I love them. I have got about 6ooo km out of each pair [training plus caminos] and my coming Camino de Madrid will see my present pair reach their use-by date. This is of concern as I have not been able to find a store in Australia that now stocks them.

The Trek are full leather, and I hate to disagree with KinkyOnes friends but I have quite broad feet and still find them very comfortable. I do have one foot half a size bigger than the other so I have to buy footwear that suits the bigger foot, so with the first pair of Scarpas it took me 3 months of constant walking before I could avoid blisters on the smaller foot. Now both feet and boots in sync, and I don't get blisters no matter how many KMs I walk. No, I don't lather my feet with anything either - I just walk at least 5 days a week for several months before I leave for Spain, and toughen my feet.

For what it's worth [not very much, because everyone has their own preference!] I wear Wigwam Trek Fusion socks, which I buy online from America.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

There is a large range of Scarpa boots, and you don't say which particular ones you bought. On all of my caminos I have worn Scarpa Trek boots, and I love them. I have got about 6ooo km out of each pair [training plus caminos] and my coming Camino de Madrid will see my present pair reach their use-by date. This is of concern as I have not been able to find a store in Australia that now stocks them.

The Trek are full leather, and I hate to disagree with KinkyOnes friends but I have quite broad feet and still find them very comfortable. I do have one foot half a size bigger than the other so I have to buy footwear that suits the bigger foot, so with the first pair of Scarpas it took me 3 months of constant walking before I could avoid blisters on the smaller foot. Now both feet and boots in sync, and I don't get blisters no matter how many KMs I walk. No, I don't lather my feet with anything either - I just walk at least 5 days a week for several months before I leave for Spain, and toughen my feet.

For what it's worth [not very much, because everyone has their own preference!] I wear Wigwam Trek Fusion socks, which I buy online from America.

Alan

Sorry to be slightly off topic... Wish you nice and blister free Camino de Madrid, Alan! When do you start? If I remember correctly that will be soon.

Alan

I bought these:
http://www.scarpa.com/r-evolution-plus-gtx-womens

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I took a pair in Oct/Nov 2010, very well made and will last the distance and some, they are for narrow feet. However if you find they they are too narrow, no amount of walking will make them slacker unless they are soft types,they are so well made they will not lose shape and that was the problem for my wide feet. Buen 'good fitting footwear' Camino.

My husband has Scarpas and he loved them when we hiked in New Zealand. However....IMO, I think they are overkill for the Camino. We walked last Sept/Oct from SLPDP to Santiago and he wore low Merrell hikers and I wore Brooks trail runners and it is going to be a long time before I put heavy hiking boots on again. Best of all, there was no breaking in time required for the trail runners. Just get them a size larger.
Whatever you choose...Have a "Buen Camino"

My husband has Scarpas and he loved them when we hiked in New Zealand. However....IMO, I think they are overkill for the Camino. We walked last Sept/Oct from SLPDP to Santiago and he wore low Merrell hikers and I wore Brooks trail runners and it is going to be a long time before I put heavy hiking boots on again. Best of all, there was no breaking in time required for the trail runners. Just get them a size larger.
Whatever you choose...Have a "Buen Camino"
I did that - they are a size larger. And I am just more comfortable with a hiking boot on. Weak ankles and rocky descents and wet weather mean I will just do better with a full on boot.
I took these falling apart boots with me to New Zealand - that might be why they are looking so sad right now ;)
And thank you all! I am now excited to try them and not feeling so freaked out that I bought them online!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did that - they are a size larger. And I am just more comfortable with a hiking boot on. Weak ankles and rocky descents and wet weather mean I will just do better with a full on boot.
I took these falling apart boots with me to New Zealand - that might be why they are looking so sad right now ;)
And thank you all! I am now excited to try them and not feeling so freaked out that I bought them online!
They sure look like some serious hiking/mountaineering boots and I do understand why you would feel comfortable with them. Many injuries with my ankles too, that's why I'm almost frightened to walk in under-ankle hiking shoes. They're OK for everyday walking though but day after day with 25-35kms stages - no way I'm going to ruin my Camino ;)

Nevertheless I ditto @mikevasey remark on quality. At least I was told so. And also @Alan Pearce already confirmed that. If they'll fit you I guess you won't regret and return to Scarpa. Have faith ;)

They sure look like some serious hiking/mountaineering boots and I do understand why you would feel comfortable with them. Many injuries with my ankles too, that's why I'm almost frightened to walk in under-ankle hiking shoes. They're OK for everyday walking though but day after day with 25-35kms stages - no way I'm going to ruin my Camino ;)

Nevertheless I ditto @mikevasey remark on quality. At least I was told so. And also @Alan Pearce already confirmed that. If they'll fit you I guess you won't regret and return to Scarpa. Have faith ;)
I do! (Now...)
I have a really nice pair of Solomon hiking shoes that I use around here. They're perfect for hot and relatively flat. But you're dead on - I am almost frightened of walking the Camino in them. I just feel so much more secure in the boots.

Sorry to be slightly off topic... Wish you nice and blister free Camino de Madrid, Alan! When do you start? If I remember correctly that will be soon.

Thanks for the good wishes! It is not the blisters I am worried about - it is the recalcitrant knee that may be the problem.
I leave Madrid on May 6th, after finishing work on May 2nd, getting to Sydney on May 3rd, and flying out on May 4th. Here I come, once again!

Alan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have fallen in love with Scarpa Zen. Officially these are approach shoes, but I walk all my caminos on them. From the second pair on I have always bought them online. Just ordered my fourth pair.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesnā€™t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; Iā€™m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) Iā€™ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Hereā€™s my final packing list (excluding basic...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.