• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Everyone,
Richie here from Ireland.
I'm hoping to start the camino Frances from SJPP next june2024.
I'm just wondering if you can give me some recommendations on hiking boots?
Cheers
R
You will be given plenty of recommendations in here. However - are you sure boots are the right choice for that time of year?
Personally I would go for Mammut boots but again it's a personal preference. For june I would go for sandals or light trailrunners.

I wore Goretex lined leather boots on the CF with no complaints but since then I've been wearing Merrill Moabs that I classify as hiking shoes (they're fabric and leather). They come both with and without Goretex and different heights; I'm on my second pair of Moab Vents, the kind without the Goretex. I see an awful lot of other hikers wearing them and that's a good sign. There are many other forum members recommending them too.

Trail runners are also highly regarded by many members. I have a really crappy pair of them but I'd accept that other makes may do well.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I wore goretex lined leather boots on the CF with no complaints but since then are I've been wearing Merrill Moabs that I classify as hiking shoes (they're fabric and leather). They come both with and without goretex; I'm on my second pair of Moab Vents, the kind without. I see an awful lot of other hikers wearing them and that's a good sign. There are many other forum members recommending them too.

Trail runners are also highly regarded by many members. I have a really crappy pair of them but I'd accept that other makes may do well.

Indeed a very personal view. I cannot do without my full leather Hanwag boots , winter and summer.
Due to my high arched feet and hallux valgus trailshoes just do not work for me. Custommade insoles also.

Keen closed toe sandals. Try them on in the Great Outdoors, Dublin.

I have worn them on numerous Caminos including the Frances and the Norte.

I also use one hiking pole.

Everyone here has their preferences! My tuppence-worth.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I started out of SJPP in trail runners and ended up buying a pair of Tevas (eta: hiking sandals) in Pamplona. I’ve walked the last 500km in them, and plan to continue to Finisterre without switching back. I wear them with Darn Tough socks, and my feet are plenty warm EXCEPT on the days when the heavens open and there is no escape from the rain. Although, as it turns out, other people’s feet got just as wet and my shoes dried faster 😁

I seriously cannot imagine walking in the summer in hiking boots, although I’m sure a lot of people do and are very happy with it. The few 30°C days we had in late September I wanted to peel my skin off and I’m really glad my feet could breath.

At then end of the day, it’s your Camino! It’s probably worth doing at least one long walk in whatever shoe you pick though. I didn’t field test my gear and have a couple items that are functional but I secretly hate one month in lol

June should be something like +30°C and barely any rain ever on the Frances.

If you plan to walk 10-15km daily then I guess boots are just fine.

If you want to do 22km+ which is the standard distance (I think), then you would need an option that breathes way more than boots do.

Camino Frances is 80% on soft sandy surfaces. The trail has very few areas where a technical shoe is good to have.

I did my first Frances in cheap sneakers, second one in trail runners. Only downside of cheap old sneakers was that it hurt walking down mountains. Probably would have been fine with a new pair of cheap sneakers.

You might find this blog post helpful:
http://caminopilgrim.travel.blog/2023/03/29/shoes-for-camino/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I find it hard to find boots that fit my foot well - so if I find a pair I keep them for winter. I go with trail runners the rest of the year, though I prefer goretex ones.
Truthfully, as you are in Ireland there are a range of outdoor shops from Cork to Sligo and its best to go in and try some on. Don't buy immediately! Come back and try them on again and then buy. And most of the shops are used to camino walkers too!

I have worn boots, shoes and sandals. My preference is boots, even in summer, but I also think it is very much your personal preference. Talk to the staff at an outdoor retailer and get a feel for the range of footwear, and what the various models are optimized for. Provided you are not carrying a heavy pack, you won't need boots made for multi-day wilderness treks carrying food for several days! Most brands will carry models with descriptors like 'trail walking' or 'hiking' designed for lighter loads that are going to be more suitable than their heavier boots and shoes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have worn boots, shoes and sandals. My preference is boots, even in summer, but I also think it is very much your personal preference. Talk to the staff at an outdoor retailer and get a feel for the range of footwear, and what the various models are optimized for. Provided you are not carrying a heavy pack, you won't need boots made for multi-day wilderness treks carrying food for several days! Most brands will carry models with descriptors like 'trail walking' or 'hiking' designed for lighter loads that are going to be more suitable than their heavier boots and shoes.
I have the same experience for over 40 years, in the andes, in the wet and hot amazon, in the "Camino", in the Cantabric range, in winter or summer. I've try Chacos, Keen, Merrell sandals, Trail runners of all brands but I prefer BOOTS (Italian boots). So, Get on your Boots! But this is a very personal opinion. What works for me maybe doesn't work for the others. Buen Camino!

I started out of SJPP in trail runners and ended up buying a pair of Tevas (eta: hiking sandals) in Pamplona. I’ve walked the last 500km in them, and plan to continue to Finisterre without switching back. I wear them with Darn Tough socks, and my feet are plenty warm EXCEPT on the days when the heavens open and there is no escape from the rain. Although, as it turns out, other people’s feet got just as wet and my shoes dried faster 😁

I seriously cannot imagine walking in the summer in hiking boots, although I’m sure a lot of people do and are very happy with it. The few 30°C days we had in late September I wanted to peel my skin off and I’m really glad my feet could breath.

At then end of the day, it’s your Camino! It’s probably worth doing at least one long walk in whatever shoe you pick though. I didn’t field test my gear and have a couple items that are functional but I secretly hate one month in lol
I started walking the Via de la Plata in Tevas with darn tough socks last spring. It was wet and I got blisters so ended up taking a bus back to Seville to buy some shoes. The only ones I could get from Decathlon were a pair of Merrell vent shoes. These were cheap and probably the best shoes I’ve ever worn on a camino having tried many of the more expensive boots in the past. Incidentally, I practiced extensively on the Malvern hills in my Tevas before I went on that crappy camino.

I wear Meindl boots years round, on all of my Caminos (spring and autumn) and for my job as a walking tour guide. Trail runners of all kinds simply make my feet ache. The thicker sole of the boots is great for asphalt, gravel, cobblestones or mud and water. Yes, they have Goretex too.

It’s very much a personal choice. In the UK, if it’s damp/wet I normally wear Scarpa boots. However, in dry conditions I wear Altra Olympus 5 trail runners, which is what I’ve just worn to walk the CF, with no blisters or injuries. However, foot care and the right socks are really important, Bridgedale liners are superb.

Hi Everyone,
Cheers
R
I know that a lot of people say trail runners for summer, but for me trail runners are not the right choice. I need the ankle support, and so I chose a pair of La Sportiva boots, but they are very, very lightweight. I spent probably 3 hours at REI getting fitted and testing them out. They feel as light as trail runners and will need almost no break-in time, but will support my ankles.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Which model do you use?

Yak leather. The Tigri line. Bought them three years ago.
Tigri out of stock but Hanwag now has other versions in yak.

FB_IMG_1698074207652.jpg
Alternative is the Travi.

Yak leather. The Tigri line. Bought them three years ago.
Tigri out of stock but Hanwag now has other versions in yak.

View attachment 159070
Alternative is the Travi.

I know them but don't have them. I have the Lhassa II and the banks straigt fit. I think the tigri has a flexibel sole?

I know them but don't have them. I have the Lhassa II and the banks straigt fit. I think the tigri has a flexibel sole?

I just checked. I do not find the Vibram sole of the Tigri very flexible but I will compare it this week with the Lhassa version ( friend of mine has those and we will go for a walk ). Before the Tigri I had the Alta Bunion ( also Hanwag ) but the subtle leather of the Tigri is superb.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Everyone,
Cheers
R
Hi Richie, lots of advice and opinion above. I've got a question. What do you normally hike in? If you are a habitual boot-wearer wear your boots. If you usually walk in Trainers/Trail-shoes or the ilk wear those.

I wear boots, Meindl now that Brashers are but a mockery of the name but that's because I always wear boots. There are perfectly rational, respected and veteran members of this forum who hike in sandals. Each to their own.

Three different generations of Altra Lone Peak trail runners for the CF (2021), CP (2022), and Via Podiensis (2023) averaging 25-38km/day. No blisters or any other foot problems. Oh, and Darn Tough socks.

I'd go with your favorite footwear for local hiking. For me, it's boots. I love hiking boots and hiking shoes. Those are what I choose to walk in when I do mixed road/trail walking for 20 km at home. Opinions vary based on personal experience. I believe that it is important to develop some personal experience before going on an 800 km walk.

I do need to add a slight amendment to my earlier reply about Tevas: I did very much eat shit today on one of those paved downhills that become small streams when it rains. Was it just hubris? Could it have been avoided in boots or sneakers? We will never know. I’m fine though and I walked another 30km after, so I stand by the sandals lol

Have worn Lowa Renegade in boot and shoe form for years. Nepal, Camino, Scotland, Dolomites all have my shoe and boot prints. I like a solid and supportive sole. Also depends on height and weight of the walker and how much of Mother Earth you like to have a grip of.
I find Merrills are too flexible for my liking and my feet ache after a long day.

I find Merrills are too flexible for my liking and my feet ache after a long day.
Yes, on the other hand (foot?) the flexibility can also be a good point. My toughest walking and hiking is in New Hampshire, known as the Granite State. The flexibility allows more of the Vibram to contact the rock and it allows me to walk down slabs that Peg slides down on her butt.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Footwear is something you need to let your feet and ankles decide. I would also recommend at least one visit to a podiatrist to identify any as yet undetected foot issues.
Advice from a podiatrist and prescription orthotics- though not cheap - changed my Camino experience.
PS. I tried every trail runner I could find - sadly all in vain 😢- and then returned to my faithful Merrells.

Yes, on the other hand (foot?) the flexibility can also be a good point. My toughest walking and hiking is in New Hampshire, known as the Granite State. The flexibility allows more of the Vibram to contact the rock and it allows me to walk down slabs that Peg slides down on her butt.
Nowt wrong with 5 points of contact! Means that you have less distance to fall! Or is that my mountain rescue background speaking?

also a full stepped heel is better at preventing slips on the downhill that lead to falls and subsequent serious injury. Strangely Moab shoes don’t have a stepped heel while Moab boots do.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Richie

Arrived back 2 weeks ago from Tuscany hiking in 30 C +, As someone who for years extolled the virtue of boots in all circumstances you can now rarely get me out of my Hoka speedgoat 5s, though they'd probably just about last the Camino Frances but they'd be 'slicks' by the end.

What you'd wear in Ireland won't necessarily translate into what you'll need for Northern Spain, In the Uk I may well wear Salomon Quest 4 gtx in winter, they fit my feet perfectly, I would not take them to walk the Camino in June ( I speak from experience) also how far you're intending to walk in a day may well influence your choice, The above boots for me are limited to 10-15 miles, anything above that I wear trail runners for the extra forefoot cushioning. I can comfortably wear them at distances of 25-30 miles without suffering blisters or pain. For me the argument for boots only holds out if you have weak ankles, but the CF is almost entirely on good paths, roads or pavement so ankle support isn't the issue it would be in rougher terrain.

Now I weigh 15 stone, add a pack that and cushioning becomes even more important, my other half who weighs 9 stone and who from time to time walks with me is now also a convert to Hoka's which she wore for the first time and for the first time didn't get any blisters. ( I do not work for Hoka ;-) )

Another point for Trail runners is they adapt to your foot shape far easier than boots do.

Gore-tex, In June in Spain? for me ? Certainly not! Let your feet breathe!

My pilgrimage footwear experience is...

Salomon 4 gtx: Good boot, Good grip, good ankle support, Durable sole, way too hot for Late spring and summer in Spain. Limited by forefoot cushioning for longer days.

Salomon X ultra mid: Very light, poor grip in the wet, wear very quickly for a boot, forefoot cushioning poor, again limited on longer days.

Lowa z-6: Didn't feel that good once under way, poor grip, poor forefoot cushioning. Didn't wear them for long.

Altra Olympus trail shoes: Very comfortable, roomy, excellent cushioning, excellent grip, durable sole. Only recommended if you can cope with the zero drop. I found that they strained by tendon a little but no so much as to stop me.

Hoka Stinson 6: Very comfortable, excellent cushioning, will cope with long days, questionable grip on some surfaces, uppers wear quite quickly may not survive the trip!

Hoka speedgoat 5 gtx : Very comfortable, excellent cushioning, will cope with long days, very good grip though not quite as good as the Altras. Uppers hold up very well, in fact better than the Salomon boots over 500 + miles. Sole wears quickly but even when smooth still retained good grip on most surfaces. A little warm in hot weather.

Hoka speedgoat 5: Non gtx. review the same as the gtx version but with the bonus of being cooler which is ideal for warmer climates.

if you were venturing into rugged terrain I would always recommend boots, but the Camino is not 'rugged terrain' so I'm comfortable with recommending trail runners.

I hope this helps but as with all footwear you'll never really know till you're on the walk. :-(

Martin

I have the same experience for over 40 years, in the andes, in the wet and hot amazon, in the "Camino", in the Cantabric range, in winter or summer. I've try Chacos, Keen, Merrell sandals, Trail runners of all brands but I prefer BOOTS (Italian boots). So, Get on your Boots! But this is a very personal opinion. What works for me maybe doesn't work for the others. Buen Camino!
I have just got scarpa boots, they are amazing. Started training and no problems only positives.

Hi Everyone,
Cheers
R
I suggest running shoes, trail runners, hiking shoes not boots.... The trail, for more than 90% is not technical enough, not arduous enough, not bad enough to warrant the use of boots. Moreover, since you plan a trek in June, I recommend a non-waterproof (sot the shoes can dry quicker(, very breathable (to reduce heat and ventilate sweat) type of footwear. Having said that, it is so personal so only you or should I say your body can recommend what you can or should wear or not.

Boots or trailwalkers? Different for everyone. More than 40 years ago I had a close encounter with a rabbit hole going downhill. Spectacular cartwheel, many stars seen when my head hit the ground which distracted me from my ankle being mangled. Took weeks of being in plaster, limping for months and pain for a couple of years. Even to this day it still hurts when stressed so boots for ankle support first and foremost. Allowing for other considerations, heat, weight etc I have Merrell Moabs which serve very well

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.