• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best day to reach Santiago (hypothetically)?

davejsy

Walked the Camino Francés for SSD UK 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 sept/Oct
Primitivo July 2024
So having read and heard a lot about the busyness of the Camino, and especially the final 100km for obvious reasons, I was wondering if with some planning you could avoid it to a degree. I have no idea, but I'm guessing the majority of people doing say just the final 100km are more than likely to be finishing in Santiago on the weekend? And if so therefore the various stages leading up to Santiago will be busiest on this time basis, if you get what I mean (they are all moving in similar waves).

So anyway, before I probably confuse my actual question any further - what is the best day to arrive in Santiago do people think or have experience of? Or perhaps it makes no difference? Although I would imagine there is also a tourist influx at weekends.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
People in Spain often start on a weekend so add 5 or so days to a Saturday or Sunday. The weekend is lively in Santiago as there are non-pilgrims who also come to Santiago. Lots of exhibits, music festivals, shopping, conference meetings, etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So having read and heard a lot about the busyness of the Camino, and especially the final 100km for obvious reasons, I was wondering if with some planning you could avoid it to a degree. I have no idea, but I'm guessing the majority of people doing say just the final 100km are more than likely to be finishing in Santiago on the weekend? And if so therefore the various stages leading up to Santiago will be busiest on this time basis, if you get what I mean (they are all moving in similar waves).

So anyway, before I probably confuse my actual question any further - what is the best day to arrive in Santiago do people think or have experience of? Or perhaps it makes no difference? Although I would imagine there is also a tourist influx at weekends.
Arrival day is simultaneously the best and worst day of the Camino. But, it’s still worth every moment getting there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The busiest day of the week at the Santiago pilgrim office is usually Friday. But with the new computerised system for issuing Compostelas waiting times at the office are quite short. The difference in numbers day by day is probably not big enough to make it worthwhile timing your arrival for a particular day

I agree with Bradypus. Once I used the QR code at the door, it took three minutes to have my number called. That was on a busy Friday in mid June this year. In another post earlier this year someone gave a warning to go to the restroom before you use the QR code because you won't have time before your number is called. That was very true.
On another note, after you finish, there are some restaurants on the street of the Camino office. It was really pleasant to sit at an outside table and see people we had met on the Camino come in. The look on their faces as they walked down the ramp and spotted the Camino building was priceless.

I arrived in Santiago on late Tuesday morning. And yes it was busy, but it wasn't horrendous. When I walked back into the square later on, it was practically empty.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is usually a wave of short-walker pilgrims who start at Sarria on Friday, Saturday or Sunday mornings. They have a five-day walk into Santiago. While the new process at the Pilgrim Office quickly handles most any number of daily arrivals, the Camino Frances route from Sarria to Santiago can get VERY busy.

This 'wave" of new pilgrims coming out of Sarria, walking towards Santiago each weekend, will act to saturate the available cafes, restaurants and accommodations at the five major stopping places on this part of the Camino Frances. However - and this is key - this varies by day of week and month of the year. I call it the "pig in the python" affect.

In the autumn or winter I would not worry about crowds at all - anywhere. The bigger problem would be finding places to eat or sleep that are open.

But, from Easter through mid September. There are usually waves of just starting pilgrims coming out of all the starting points on the weekends, along all the Caminos. You need to think about this pattern, and plan your travels accordingly - unless you are one of those people wio loves crowds.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
There is usually a wave of short-walker pilgrims who start at Sarria on Friday, Saturday or Sunday mornings. They have a five-day walk into Santiago. While the new process at the Pilgrim Office quickly handles most any number of daily arrivals, the Camino Frances route from Sarria to Santiago can get VERY busy.

This 'wave" of new pilgrims coming out of Sarria, walking towards Santiago each weekend, will act to saturate the available cafes, restaurants and accommodations at the five major stopping places on this part of the Camino Frances. However - and this is key - this varies by day of week and month of the year. I call it the "pig in the python' affect.

In the autumn or winter I would not worry about crowds at all - anywhere. The bigger problem would be finding places to eat or sleep that are open.

But from Easter through mid September. There are usually waves of just starting pilgrims coming out of all the starting points on the weekends, along all the Caminos. You need to think about this pattern, and plan your travels accordingly - unless you are one of those people wio loves crowds.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you Tom, very helpful. I have no expectations, but was thinking if it was possible to arrive in Santiago at it's quietest it would be preferable. I totally get that crowds can add to atmosphere, but I prefer the quiet life!
Both times I have been to Santiago on road trips we have been very lucky and it has been very quiet.

Try Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, where none of these days are holidays - religious OR secular.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back