• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Secondary day pack or.....

LakeMcD

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15' Portuguese 16' GR10/Norte/Primitivo 17' Chemin LePuy 18' Salvador/Prim/Kerry Way 19'
What do people use to stuff what you don't want to leave unattended, carry tablet, cameras, etc... while you sight see after checking in the albergues?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used a 2L Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack. In it I kept my camera, iPad mini, that day's route guide, a pen and kleenex. I kept it clipped to the belt of my Macabi skirt and draped it down into my left skirt pocket. Passport and cards were always hung from my neck under my shirt 24/7 unless I was in the shower and then it and the 2L bag were right there with me just out of the spray.

I used a 2L Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack. In it I kept my camera, iPad mini, that day's route guide, a pen and kleenex. I kept it clipped to the belt of my Macabi skirt and draped it down into my left skirt pocket. Passport and cards were always hung from my neck under my shirt 24/7 unless I was in the shower and then it and the 2L bag were right there with me just out of the spray.
Wait, wait, mini I-pad fitting in Macabi? Not in mine! Otherwise, get Macabi and stuff it all in. Just wait and watch the pickpocket's expression after trying to get in there! They go on for ever - clearly their best feature.

My answer is ... it depends. To shower: I pad, never in the shower, the rest (money , passports, credencial, in a waterproof ziplockbag, inside the ziplockbag Pace Poles instruction came with. In town: those little nylon shopping bags. If it were not for the I pad I would not have needed one, but with the mini I had to look like a foreigner. Not that my lovely hairdo, smell and cut of clothing did not give me a way, Never mind the shoes ;0)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I take a small crossbody bag with money, cards, passport, credencial, mobile and camera. I always keep it with me, when I go to the shower it is at the bottom of my Sea to Summit sil-nylon messenger bag which I use to take my washbag, towel, sarong and change of underwear in and same minus sarong and clean underwear but added laundry out again. Then I put the valuables bag back on, take washbag out by bed, get dressed, carry bag with laundry out to the sinks, wash and hang to dry, then put fleece in bag and go out sightseeing/eaating/drinking. Works for me.

We both use the Sea to Summit ultrasil daypacks. Weight 68gms, fold down into internal tiny pocket and are a useful size proper pack when opened out (adjustable shoulder straps). Showerproof too. We can carry our fleeces,waterproofs and other items safely and comfortably.

Major documents are kept in a secure, under the clothes holder at all times when walking or sightseeing.

This is turning into a Sea to Summit promotional peice but I used a Sea to Summit sil-nylon messenger bag too. I kept all my documents in there (in a waterproof bag). The bag is big enough to put your towel, etc in when you go for a shower.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for all of the replies. Are the Sea to Summit messenger and day packs waterproof enough for the shower? I just bought one of their ultrasil dry bags for the shower, but if the messenger or daypack can serve double duty then even better!

I probably own at least one of everything Sea-to-Summit makes that could support a Camino. Also, I have written often on the forum extensively about the benefits of these products. I continue to strongly support these products. I happen to have the 20-liter day pack mentioned above. Everything the posters, above state about the advantages and uses of the 20-liter day pack are true. But, I did find something better, in Spain.:)

Altus, the major Spanish outdoor products manufacturer, makes an excellent, 20-liter siliconized - nylon day pack called the "Giza." You can buy them along the Camino. I think I saw them in St. Jean Pied de Porte in 2014 too.

The Altus version has better shoulder straps and an easier strap adjustment setup than the S2S version. It also has a second, small zip pocket, where the S2S only has the single main compartment. Here is the direct link to the Altus product page: http://www.altus.com.es/Giza_20_1350300_var.aspx

Moreover, the Altus bag comes in a separate, round, zippered sack, about the size of a hockey puck. The bag has belt loops to mount on a pack strap or a trouser belt. I have one that is attached to the lower part of one of my shoulder straps.

I reach for it there as I enter a town or village so I can shop on the way to my night's lodging. Once I am settled, I use the day bag as my "city bag" for sightseeing or shopping. I also it as my shower bag, to hold everything I need to take into a shower stall at an albergue. If I am using a sleeping bag or liner, it holds my valuables in the foot of the bag. Alternately, stuffed with clothing, it makes a suitable pillow. Finally, it makes an excellent carry-on bag for the flight to and from Europe and the States.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We use light weight nylon hobo bags that fold into themselves and clip to your pack when not in use. They also make a great market bag when you buy foods for the evening. Here we found them in health food stores and vitiman shops.

We use light weight nylon hobo bags that fold into themselves and clip to your pack when not in use. They also make a great market bag when you buy foods for the evening. Here we found them in health food stores and vitiman shops.
But do you dual purpose them for the shower as well?

I don't walk the Camino for style points. I carry a small Ziploc bag in my pant's pocket with my passport, credential and wallet inside. It works very well for walking around town as well. Keep it simple!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My personal preference is a very light cross pody pouch/bag, which is always with me. The one I use is the Civita Travel Pouch from Rick Steeves. It is very small, but suits me because I only carry one techno device.

I did see that Montbell carries a few interesting options for pocketable crossbody bags and backpacks, including a 15L Versalite Pack. It weighs 99 grams and has a sternum strap. Very pricey though.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=1103&p_id=1123820

Last edited:
Decathlon have a cheap one similar to the Altus one mentioned above. It costs about 3 euro. It folds easily into an integrated pocket. I keep it in the small zippered pocket inside the 'lid' of my backpack, and in the evenings I transfer everything into it: waist pack (with valuables inside), notebook and pen, lightweight waterproof, phone etc. It's not waterproof but I'd assume all your valuables will be packed into ziplocks or drysacks anyway, so you could pile them all in and hang the bag in the shower (bring an S-hook or carabiner in case there are no hooks in the shower cubicle

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Decathlon have a cheap one similar to the Altus one mentioned above. It costs about 3 euro. It folds easily into an integrated pocket....
Wow, @VSB, I didn't think one could be anything for 2.95 euro, but this bag is really quite something, especially if it packs down as small as you say. Thanks for the info.
Suzanne :)

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.