• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking Canadian secular pilgrims who experienced transformation on the Camino for research

JordonOzero

Time of past OR future Camino
CF x 3
***UPDATE***

With gratitude and thanks, I have had a great response to this post. I am just in the process of ensuring my first volunteers and I are all on the same page. Assuming this is the case, I won’t be able to take on any more participants. I see more willing volunteers so if anything changes, I will be sure to contact those people soon. Thank you all for your interest and willingness. Thank you so much, this is a wonderful community! Jordon.

Hello Camino Community

I am a graduate researcher working on my thesis and looking for three more pilgrims to be part of my research. My thesis focuses on the catalysts of the personal transformation of secularly motivated pilgrims. This research aims to provide substantive information to those seeking personal transformation or those seeking to facilitate transformation in others in a non-Camino setting.

I hope to connect with Canadian pilgrims (apologies to the rest of the world, but I had to manage the scope of my research!) who walked the Camino with secular motivation (any non-religious calling or motivation) and experienced personal transformation. The transformation itself need not be life-altering because it is the catalysts of the change that are being researched rather than the change itself.

If this describes you and you would like to be part of this research, please send me a private message through this forum. I will send you more detailed information and we can set up a mutually agreeable time for a virtual interview.

I appreciate your consideration and wish you all a very healthy and happy 2023!

Warm regards,

Jordon Ozero
Royal Roads University
Victoria, BC, Canada

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Camino Community

I am a graduate researcher working on my thesis and looking for three more pilgrims to be part of my research. My thesis focuses on the catalysts of the personal transformation of secularly motivated pilgrims. This research aims to provide substantive information to those seeking personal transformation or those seeking to facilitate transformation in others in a non-Camino setting.

I hope to connect with Canadian pilgrims (apologies to the rest of the world, but I had to manage the scope of my research!) who walked the Camino with secular motivation (any non-religious calling or motivation) and experienced personal transformation. The transformation itself need not be life-altering because it is the catalysts of the change that are being researched rather than the change itself.

If this describes you and you would like to be part of this research, please send me a private message through this forum. I will send you more detailed information and we can set up a mutually agreeable time for a virtual interview.

Warm regards,

Jordon Ozero
Royal Roads University
Victoria, BC, Canada
Hi. I live in Kitchener, Ontario and completed a Camino in 2015 and my second in October 2022. I would be interested in your research if you still need people. David Joudrey

Blessings as you move to identify and further understand journeys of the soul. Fondly sandi

Hello Camino Community

Warm regards,

Jordon Ozero
Royal Roads University
Victoria, BC, Canada
I tick some of the boxes (Canadian, experienced some level of transformation, non-secular motivation) but did not walk the whole thing and also have limited time to participate. With those reservations, if you are interested, let me know by way of reply.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Jordon,
I would be interested in talking with you. I think the camino is transformative and i would like to share my experience with you.
Kind regards
Mark

PS Jordon- can you provide an email address?

Last edited:
I sent you PM Jordan. The Victoria chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims is meeting on Thursday morning for their monthly coffee.

Andrea

***UPDATE***

With gratitude and thanks, I have had a great response to this post. I am just in the process of ensuring my first volunteers and I are all on the same page. Assuming this is the case, I won’t be able to take on any more participants. I see more willing volunteers so if anything changes, I will be sure to contact those people soon. Thank you all for your interest and willingness. Thank you so much, this is a wonderful community! Jordon.

Hello Camino Community

Warm regards,

Jordon Ozero
Royal Roads University
Victoria, BC, Canada
I would be reluctant to provide information. There is no assurance that information is for what is claimed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would be reluctant to provide information. There is no assurance that information is for what is claimed.
Hi. Healthy scepticism is never a bad thing. That said, everyone taking part in my research is given contact information for my university’s ethical department to verify my thesis project. As a side note to this, as mentioned in the update section, I have received enough participants and am not looking for anymore at this time.
Good day to you.
Jordon

Speaking as an academic employed in Canada who supervises research with human subjects, anyone completing this work must *at minimum* follow Canada's TriCouncil Policy on ethical conduct; the researcher must provide an outline of the research, and its intended purposes, a supervisory body contact, and documents that would address the concerns of any prospective participant. The researcher also needs to have certification in ethical standards (A TCPS II certificate) and others where relevant (SGBA+ for example). Anyone can look up the SSHRC, NSERC and CiHR Tricouncil policies.
Writing to Jordan would initiate a conversation on the topic, on his ethical obligations etc. and would then move to providing all the documents for informed consent, for the right to exit at any point, etc. And, in general, any participant receives a copy of the work at the end.
Questions that do not relate to the research are not permitted.
There's no need to scare off people who might be interested.

Hi. Healthy scepticism is never a bad thing. That said, everyone taking part in my research is given contact information for my university’s ethical department to verify my thesis project. As a side note to this, as mentioned in the update section, I have received enough participants and am not looking for anymore at this time.
Good day to you.
Jordon
Best wishes with it, Jordan.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Speaking as an academic employed in Canada who supervises research with human subjects, anyone completing this work must *at minimum* follow Canada's TriCouncil Policy on ethical conduct; the researcher must provide an outline of the research, and its intended purposes, a supervisory body contact, and documents that would address the concerns of any prospective participant. The researcher also needs to have certification in ethical standards (A TCPS II certificate) and others where relevant (SGBA+ for example). Anyone can look up the SSHRC, NSERC and CiHR Tricouncil policies.
Writing to Jordan would initiate a conversation on the topic, on his ethical obligations etc. and would then move to providing all the documents for informed consent, for the right to exit at any point, etc. And, in general, any participant receives a copy of the work at the end.
Questions that do not relate to the research are not permitted.
There's no need to scare off people who might be interested.
Your comments confirm that caution is reasonable. The institution and not the individual should provide.

Your comments confirm that caution is reasonable. The institution and not the individual should provide.
But not to a forum. That's not how it works. And the institution does not provide the material. The researcher provides prospective participants with the name and contact information of the institutional supervisor. NGO's doing similar work will often use the services of an REB (research ethics board) that is provincially regulated but independent of any particular institution.

and who decides?????
I have seen these ethical tribunals become the new ecclesiastical judges of our society. Let's not forget there is a 23 years old on the tribunal because we want everyone represented. Sometimes these work but sometimes it is the self proclaimed arbiters of truth that are an embarrassment to anyone with a functioning brain. I have seen an academic unable to do fundamental research because of the whining's of a group of incompetent people who were not capable of assessing the validity of the research...
Ok I will pull my axe from the grinder.....
Jordon, you seem like a wonderful man who is genuinely interested in this. Good luck with your research. In case you need an example of someone transformed by the Camino, I was a nice guy before the Camino and now a miserable curmudgeon. That is not true by the way- the Camino is transformative and most people who start are wonderful and they finish even more wonderful. I will be interested in reading about your research and remember...please be kind.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey if you are looking for another volunteer... I have a pretty good story and tick all the boxes. Three rounds of bed bugs, a kidney stone, infected blisters, and my backpack was throw away the day I got out of the hospital from the kidney stone and I didn't give up. Talk about transformation!

While we are in this particular thread, I thought I’d put in a link to a very interesting study out of departments of education and anthropology at the Nationail University in SdC.
I love that it draws attention to controversial values and uses of the pilgrimage along the way for different *local* contexts, and to multidimensional operationalizations of the way (leaving it open to negative environmental impacts even while it is able to fulfill more noble preservation goals). My early read on this forum is that members here tend to be reasonably interested in and attentive to heritage along the way (architecture/art, tradition etc), but my experience of a great many walkers is that they are not especially interested and just want a place to walk with their own ego investments and fascination with their own interior worlds. So for the readers here who care about the camino there I give you this open access article (downloadable for easier reading and printing too):

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
and who decides?????
I have seen these ethical tribunals become the new ecclesiastical judges of our society. Let's not forget there is a 23 years old on the tribunal because we want everyone represented. Sometimes these work but sometimes it is the self proclaimed arbiters of truth that are an embarrassment to anyone with a functioning brain. I have seen an academic unable to do fundamental research because of the whining's of a group of incompetent people who were not capable of assessing the validity of the research...
Ok I will pull my axe from the grinder.....
Jordon, you seem like a wonderful man who is genuinely interested in this. Good luck with your research. In case you need an example of someone transformed by the Camino, I was a nice guy before the Camino and now a miserable curmudgeon. That is not true by the way- the Camino is transformative and most people who start are wonderful and they finish even more wonderful. I will be interested in reading about your research and remember...please be kind.
Great finish to this post! Humour is in short supply it seems so it should be enjoyed when it makes an appearance! I'm holding my last two interviews tomorrow however once the paper is finished it certainly will be available for general consumption. Cheers.

I’m curious about this group and when and where they meet?
Hi Willy,
I just send you a PM with the details about the Victoria Chapter. Maybe we will meet at the next coffee or walk!
Andrea

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back