• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking input, considering changing my Camino starting point...

AnaR

Hello Fellow Pilgrims!

Until recently I have been planning to walk the Camino Portuguese starting in Porto on October 8th. I am reconsidering my route now. This is my first Camino. I am 57, a woman and will be starting on my own. Part of my enchantment with walking the Camino is that there will be others from around the world walking as well. While I enjoy alone time, it is not a goal for me on the camino. I am concerned that I will feel too isolated on the Camino Portuguese on my own. And honestly, although I am not a fearful person, the reports of women being harassed recently have made me a little nervous as well. I have a month, and so am considering changing to the Camino Frances starting somewhere where I can reach Santiago de Compostela by November 2nd. I am in pretty good shape for the walk I think, but have no desire to race, rather this trip is for relaxation and reflection for me. Any thoughts about the population of pilgrims on the Portuguese and Frances routes in October as well as any recommendations for where to start on the Frances route or other tips, I will be grateful to receive. Thank you and wishing you all a wonderful camino!
Cheers,
AnaR

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi AnaR,

Both are lovely routes, each in their own individual way. My first Camino was the Frances in April 2011 and to me it was the ideal introduction into the Camino life. This year I walked the Portgues from Porto in August/ September.The Portugues is getting more popular so also more pilgrims. But yes the Frances is more populated and has more albergues/ hostales if you want to walk a short day.

I would suggest walking the Frances , you will certainly get the Camino bug and come back! Maybe starting in Pamplona / Logrono or somewhere in between these two cities. Gives you time to reach Santiago in the designated time.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Portuguese and Frances, both in October. Also on the Portuguese there will be pilgrims, particularly from Tui onwards, so I doubt if you would feel very isolated there. However, I see that you have app. 24 days walking days available, which is quite a lot for the Portuguese (in fact you could walk from Porto to Santiago and back in that period), so - as you seem to have time - I would opt for the Frances instead. I do not know how fast you walk, but by starting in Burgos, Logrono or Pamplona, you should be able to reach Santiago. You can always come back and walk the Portuguese next time around (it is perfecly doable in two weeks). Buen camino !

dear ana,
both caminos might not be very busy in october, but there will be enough pilgrims to make friends for sure!
i'm your age and been walking both the frances and portugues for a couple of times, mostly on my own or partly with pilgrims i met on the camino.
i always felt save and proteted and never had been harassed on the about 5000 km of spanish camino i have been walking so far. on the camino you live in a community of caring people.
considering that you have plenty of time and are in good shape, the portugese is a bit short. it is nice and easy and not so challenging, you could walk it also when you are 70 :)
actually i find it doesnt make much sense to compare caminos in a touristy way, because pilgrimage is an inner process, but it might help at times to add some challenges and most of all follow the desire of your heart and you can never go astray.
the spiritual attraction of the camino frances is very strong as well as its sweet transforming energy.
it is very beautiful! just go for it, you can do it :)
in 3-4 weeks you can easily walk from burgos to santiago, so you can also cross the wonderful magic meseta, the land of wind and fire... before you come to the mountains and galicia, the land of earth and water. so your camino is complete. this is what i would do. you might even have time to go to finisterre. i wish you a wonderful camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello Fellow Pilgrims!

Until recently I have been planning to walk the Camino Portuguese starting in Porto on October 8th. I am reconsidering my route now. This is my first Camino. I am 57, a woman and will be starting on my own. Part of my enchantment with walking the Camino is that there will be others from around the world walking as well. While I enjoy alone time, it is not a goal for me on the camino. I am concerned that I will feel too isolated on the Camino Portuguese on my own. And honestly, although I am not a fearful person, the reports of women being harassed recently have made me a little nervous as well. I have a month, and so am considering changing to the Camino Frances starting somewhere where I can reach Santiago de Compostela by November 2nd. I am in pretty good shape for the walk I think, but have no desire to race, rather this trip is for relaxation and reflection for me. Any thoughts about the population of pilgrims on the Portuguese and Frances routes in October as well as any recommendations for where to start on the Frances route or other tips, I will be grateful to receive. Thank you and wishing you all a wonderful camino!
Cheers,
AnaR

I am a 67 male in pretty good walking shape. Have been on Camino in Spain and France several times. I am thinking of walking Porto to Santiago at end of October and want to know what I can expect. Cold isn't a huge factor (I am Canadian) however, I am a bit spooked by information that many of the refugios/albergues are closed. I will need to decide PDQ so any advice/information would be MOST WELCOME. Bon Camino. Mel

Hello Fellow Pilgrims!

Cheers,
AnaR

Frances first Ana,
Portuguese second

I am a 67 male in pretty good walking shape. Have been on Camino in Spain and France several times. I am thinking of walking Porto to Santiago at end of October and want to know what I can expect. Cold isn't a huge factor (I am Canadian) however, I am a bit spooked by information that many of the refugios/albergues are closed. I will need to decide PDQ so any advice/information would be MOST WELCOME. Bon Camino. Mel

Hi Melze,
You will be ok, only take into consideration that you will have to plan a bit ahead. I just took a look at th Gronze site. All official albergues are open. There might be other openinghours but there will be a note where you can find key/ hospitalero.
The new private ones where I stayed , told me that they were still unsure about their openingtimes so also a good idea to call them ahead.
The Casa Fernanda and my favourite Acogida from Antonio in Pedra Furada are open and will take a reservation.
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-portugues

If something is closed, especially in Spain you will easily find a cheap pension and pay 20 € for a single.
Good luck.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Fellow Pilgrims!

Cheers,
AnaR
Hi Ana, I would say Burgos. You're have time enough and you are not alone. :cool:
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I would like to cast my vote for starting in Logrono. Even though the park walk on your way out of town will feel like a bit of a strange beginning, there are wonderful albergues in the first few days and you can even stop to see the chickens in the church.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Fellow Pilgrims!

Until recently I have been planning to walk the Camino Portuguese starting in Porto on October 8th.
Cheers,
AnaR

Buen Camino AnaR!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Considering the time of the year, I would personally go for the Francés, mainly because you will certainly find more company.

Thank you all so much for your replies and input on my "which Camino" question! Already I feel that I have friends on the camino! I believe that I will walk the Frances from Longorno or Burgos. My flight arrives in Porto (I am flying from Washington, US) so I will need to find my way to my staring point. I am thinking that I would like to start from Longorno but not sure about transport from Porto, the flights that I see are prohibitively expensive. Do any of you know if a train (I love trains!) runs from Porto to Longorno? Or, I could fly into Pamplona, much cheaper and take a bus to Longorno? I would start in Pamplona, as I have always wanted to visit there, but not sure that I would then have time to make it all the way to Santiago.
Again, many thanks to all from this newbie!
AnaR

dear ana,
both caminos might not be very busy in october, but there will be enough pilgrims to make friends for sure!
i'm your age and been walking both the frances and portugues for a couple of times, mostly on my own or partly with pilgrims i met on the camino.
i always felt save and proteted and never had been harassed on the about 5000 km of spanish camino i have been walking so far. on the camino you live in a community of caring people.
considering that you have plenty of time and are in good shape, the portugese is a bit short. it is nice and easy and not so challenging, you could walk it also when you are 70 :)
actually i find it doesnt make much sense to compare caminos in a touristy way, because pilgrimage is an inner process, but it might help at times to add some challenges and most of all follow the desire of your heart and you can never go astray.
the spiritual attraction of the camino frances is very strong as well as its sweet transforming energy.
it is very beautiful! just go for it, you can do it :)
in 3-4 weeks you can easily walk from burgos to santiago, so you can also cross the wonderful magic meseta, the land of wind and fire... before you come to the mountains and galicia, the land of earth and water. so your camino is complete. this is what i would do. you might even have time to go to finisterre. i wish you a wonderful camino!
Thanks so Much Nirvana!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would like to cast my vote for starting in Logrono. Even though the park walk on your way out of town will feel like a bit of a strange beginning, there are wonderful albergues in the first few days and you can even stop to see the chickens in the church.
Yes! I would like to start in Longorno I think. Thank you!

Dear Ana, if you can get a flight yo pamplona that would be excellent. You could start there though i reckon it would make sense to have no time pressure but a couple of spare days just in case of injuries or just days of rest. From pamplona you can take cheap buses to Estella, Logroño, santo domingo de la calzada which also would be a beautiful starting place or Burgos. From Porto it would take much time to travel overland (via lisboa and madrid or vigo, santiago...) at leadt 2 dsys and quite expensive. And yes, sure you already have friends on the Camino :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have started from Pamplona twice as it is an easy and cheap airport from USA West Coast. On map I think you can walk from Pamplona airport to CizurMinor (or taxi about 5km).
Pamplona-Burgos is 11 stages and Leon-Santiago is 16 stages. So a CF without the meseta can be done in your 24 days if you skip a few days by bus. Meseta is some of the best long distance walking but for me doesn't have the great fungsui of the early CF or Galicia. ( Astorga-Santiago is 11 stages).
I'd recommend starting in Pamplona then play it by ear after Burgos. The Basque country is magical for walking and fall food--tapas, pinchos, lamb, laRioja wine. IMO one of the sections not to be missed. Happened into Puente laReina one fall for a chili festival--air filled with the smell of roasting peppers!
Lots of bus/train options along the way. One year I walked with a friend from Leon to Ponferrada, took the train back to Pamplona, walked to Burgos, bus to ???, walk to Santiago . Only confusion was getting Compostella-- they did not know what to use as my starting point!! So you can hopscotch if you wish--only the map books and guides are linear!!
My notes show RENFE stations in Roncevalles, Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Sahagun, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada, and Santiago. Not sure all on same routeschedule, but at least RENFE

hi Ana. I love trains as well, it is such a nice way to travel. There is an overnight train that will take you from Porto (change in Coimbra) to Burgos in only 9 hours. The same train also goes to Pamplona (extra 3 hours) if you want to visit this city as well (I would, if I were you). From Pamplona I am sure you can easily bus into either Logrono or Burgos.

Hello Fellow Pilgrims!

Cheers,
AnaR

Hi Ana

I am 55, I started in Porto Sept 25, in Pontevedra tonight. Before I reached Tui, I saw a grand total of 4 other pilgrims lol. Since Tui, there's several people of all ages and nations on the Way.

I also am walking alone, but I never felt isolated, the route went through villages and towns, and local people were very friendly.

I loved walking the coast for so many days, but I actually DID come for solitude and thinking time :)

Hope this helps and Bom Caminho.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much Kay! I have decided to walk the Camino Frances this time. I am happy for you that you have had solitude on your Camino so far. It is very helpful to get your input. I will still spend a day in Porto but then travel directly to Pamplona from there to start the walking part of this journey. Perhaps Portugal for me another journey... May your pilgrimage continues in peace. Thanks again.
Cheers
Ana

Thank you so much Kay! I have decided to walk the Camino Frances this time. I am happy for you that you have had solitude on your Camino so far. It is very helpful to get your input. I will still spend a day in Porto but then travel directly to Pamplona from there to start the walking part of this journey. Perhaps Portugal for me another journey... May your pilgrimage continues in peace. Thanks again.
Cheers
Ana
Hi Ana
Decisions.......... Now don't be surprised whilst spending the day in Porto if you meet a like minded pilgrim or group about to set off or on their way already. You may decide to join them. You would have time at the end to include the walk the finistere and muxia and still have time to relax with friends in Santiago after all that. Go with whatever feels right.
You can always pick up a credential at the cathedral in Porto . Make sure you have a look at the beautifully tiled walls in Porto train station and whichever way you end up - once you start they are all wonderful ways. Bom caminho/ buen Camino

I have walked from Porto once in the middle of September and twice on the Frances in October, last time in 2016. There were still a lot of pilgrims in October on the Frances. I would suggest you could start in Leon or Astorga and have no race to SdC. Most albergues will be open.
If you choose to start in Porto check up openingtimes of albergues on www. gronze.com and be aware that there are a lot of cobblestones along the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back