• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Self Isolating on the Camino

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD

snale

Time of past OR future Camino
arles
vdlp
le puy
I'm planning to walk the Frances in mid-August. I'll have had the 2nd Covid booster (4th Shot) plus the flu shot. Even at 71, I'm not worried from a health perspective. But if you catch Covid where do you self isolate? I presume the Albergue or Hostel wouldn't want you staying there for the 5 or 7 days?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, you would need to isolate - but you would have to book a private room with a private bathroom - and somehow arrange for someone to bring you food

Yes, you would need to isolate - but you would have to book a private room with a private bathroom - and somehow arrange for someone to bring you food
Thanks, but where would you get the accommodation? I presume pilgrims have faced this problem.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This website should be helpful

Also, if you test postive for Covid while in Galicia you should qualify for regional government's free Covid insurance

This website should be helpful

Also, if you test postive for Covid while in Galicia you should qualify for regional government's free Covid insurance
Thanks, but where will you get accommodation if you need to declare you are positive. This issue must be faced constantly at present. A simple view of Covid statistics would indicate that somewhere up to 5% of pilgrims will catch Covid. Is the issue being ignored which I would not do.

Thanks, but where will you get accommodation if you need to declare you are positive. This issue must be faced constantly at present. A simple view of Covid statistics would indicate that somewhere up to 5% of pilgrims will catch Covid. Is the issue being ignored which I would not do.
I think that it depends a bit on each region. It seems that if you are in Galicia that you phone the number on the Galicia Covid insurance page and they should help you find a place. Each region has a number to call, though I don't know how much assistance each region gives to travelers who need a quarantine hotel.

There's an account from @Blaster here about his wife's experience with testing positive for Covid while on the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think that it depends a bit on each region. It seems that if you are in Galicia that you phone the number on the Galicia Covid insurance page and they should help you find a place. Each region has a number to call, though I don't know how much assistance each region gives to travelers who need a quarantine hotel.

There's an account from @Blaster here about his wife's experience with testing positive for Covid while on the Camino.
Thanks, this was helpful. I guess there will be some form of help in each region. I can understand if hostels or albergues refuse to take you in.

I’m not sure if this helps, but it was recently posted on one of the Facebook Camino groups:
”A hospitalero shared his experience with a group of 7 that got COVID. One of the peregrinos developed COVID symptoms, she was confirmed COVID in the closest public clinic. Some health providers came to the albergue to test the rest of peregrinos and 6 of them tested positive too. 2 of them were Spanish whom were picked up by relatives to to quarantine at their home. 4 of them were foreigners, and the health department helped them to arrange transportation to the closest city were they rented an airbnb to be isolated for ceirtain time. Both the hospitalero and the health department of the Region were there to support them during the whole process. In this link you can find some English publications for pilgrims that could be useful in emergency cases https://www.culturaydeporte.gob.es/consejo-jacobeo/para-el-peregrino.html and in this link is a checklist of what to do if you have covid symptoms https://www.sanidad.gob.es/profesio...00327_Decalogo_como_actuar_COVID19_ingles.pdf

I'm planning to walk the Frances in mid-August. I'll have had the 2nd Covid booster (4th Shot) plus the flu shot. Even at 71, I'm not worried from a health perspective. But if you catch Covid where do you self isolate? I presume the Albergue or Hostel wouldn't want you staying there for the 5 or 7 days?
The account by @Blaster listed is very helpful and assuring 😊. Situations will be different, yet again, by August, but it is good to be mindful of options. Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks ‘snale’ for asking that question & for all above answers - I wondered myself. I have just got 2nd booster (72) & hoping to do some of the Portuguese in September. Can’t wait to get back on the road again, last two years of restrictions was just not nice - at my age I want to make the most of every moment of every day !,

Thanks all. So the upshot is that the requirements for self-isolating are confusing. It appears that if you do feel you have Covid then take a RA test and if the result is positive inform whomever where you are to contact the local health authorities. This should lead to help to find a place where you can self isolate. Again the length of time does not appear consistent and also the rules around who is a close contact is inconsistent.

Thanks all. So the upshot is that the requirements for self-isolating are confusing. It appears that if you do feel you have Covid then take a RA test and if the result is positive inform whomever where you are to contact the local health authorities. This should lead to help to find a place where you can self isolate. Again the length of time does not appear consistent and also the rules around who is a close contact is inconsistent.
If you test positive on a rapid antigen self test you should inform it by having a test done at a health center.
It's my understanding that you need an "official" test report on order to later on get a recovery certificate.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you test positive on a rapid antigen self test you should inform it by having a test done at a health center.
It's my understanding that you need an "official" test report on order to later on get a recovery certificate.
Is this official or your view. This gets complicated because if you have covid and go wandering about to get a PCR test then you're not isolating. As a foreigner in Spain, you basically have no home, car, friends, or whatever to rely on..

Is this official or your view. This gets complicated because if you have covid and go wandering about to get a PCR test then you're not isolating. As a foreigner in Spain, you basically have no home, car, friends, or whatever to rely on..
Based on reports that I've read on the forum and elsewhere.

Update from Ce in Burgos - isolating with Covid
Just to pass on live info for her.
Ce last Monday self Rapid Antigen Tested in an albergue past Burgos and was positive having picked it up along the way from SJPdP although she is triple vaxxed - her symptome were correspondingly mild with cough, running nose and a headache for 2 days.
She did the right thing, informed the others who rushed out the door!
The Hospitalero helped her find a small hotel that took her (2 other hotels declined) and arranged a taxi there.
She called the Health no but they were not very helpful.
She isolated for the 7 days.
This Mon she paid her bill and went to find a doctor to give her a certificate. One wouldn't see her and she went to a public hospital. They told her to come back in 2 hours which she did.
They gave her a RAT test that was faintly positive. She offered a photo of the previous RAT test she did herself but they would not accept it and she was told to isolate further for 2-3 days and she would get a call!
The Health call is slow coming and she is nearly there and will use her own RAT test to ensure she is clear.
The lesson looks like - if you are +ve on your own test you must get a witnessed test from a Pharmacy, Doctor or Hospital to start the quarantine...
Only that starts the isolation clock officially ticking for a 7 day isolation.
She had very mild symptoms and is ready to go again.
There will be quite a few on the Way who have symptoms or are shedding but do not test and do not report or stop so common sense precautions are wise.

Thanks, yes Ce yesterday passed through Sarria having trained forward from Burgos to where she would have been - after 5 Camnios "has the T shirt" and doesn't feel compelled to walk every step - still carring her pack and feeling ok. She had to isolate another 2-1 days when the hospital would accept her RAT test ( only a Chemist, Doctor or Hospital test is considered official" see my post above.
She is fine and going well.

The best thing to do is to contact the local health health authority. Each region has a phone number to call.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The article says that the self isolation for mild and asymptomatic cases already ended on March 28th.
Thanks, but high risk, which includes those over 60, still need to isolate.

By August I will have had the 2nd booster (4th shot) so I'm not worried from a health point of view.

Whilst not fair on other walkers I suspect many on the camino are ignoring the rules. It is going to be interesting to know what levels of covid there are as the season picks up in May and June

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For USians only: I buy travel insurance from Allianz. They currently cover Covid-related trip cancellation or interruption, Covid-related medical expenses, and Covid-related isolation up to €100/day for a certain number of days that I recall being adequate. The rep suggested contacting them even if covered by the Galician policy, as they usually have lists of hotels that offer cost-effective isolation. Allianz is also very good if you are over 65 with a Medigap supplement of lifetime 50k OVERSEAS coverage -- because they step in as primary insurer, so you don't exhaust your Medigap. Other insurers like World Nomads act as secondary insurers.
Something to consider when you're outside Galicia.

Last edited:
For USians only: I buy travel insurance from Allianz. They currently cover Covid-related trip cancellation or interruption, Covid-related medical expenses, and Covid-related isolation up to €100/day for a certain number of days that I recall being adequate. The rep suggested contacting them even if covered by the Galician policy, as they usually have lists of hotels that offer cost-effective isolation. Allianz is also very good if you are over 65 with a Medigap supplement of lifetime 50k OVERSEAS coverage -- because they step in as primary insurer, so you don't exhaust your Medigap. Other insurers like World Nomads act as secondary insurers.
Thanks for the info. The Allianz insurance sounds great. I bought AIG’s Travel Guard while booking with United. The policy doesn’t mention Covid related services though. I will check w/ them, if they don’t, I will get the Allianz coverage. Does it specifically mention of Covid related expenses?
I also bought coverage from InterMundial too. Need to check if it includes coverage for Covid.

Thanks for the info. The Allianz insurance sounds great. I bought AIG’s Travel Guard while booking with United. The policy doesn’t mention Covid related services though. I will check w/ them, if they don’t, I will get the Allianz coverage. Does it specifically mention of Covid related expenses?
I also bought coverage from InterMundial too. Need to check if it includes coverage for Covid.
You have to ask them. On their home page they make a vague reference but it's hard to tease out. NB: Because I live in NY State, their standard covid coverage doesn't apply, but they step in and offer "parity."
I used to use AIG Travel Guard. Not sure when or why I switched. But I really like that they step in as primary insurer if you have another policy. Be sure, if you have multiple insurers, that you know whom to call first.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What is the Allianz website?

This post from @Blaster detailing his wife's experience with isolating due to Covid should be helpful.

Not quite (only 7 + 2-3) .

Day 1 - she did her own 2 RAT tests and found she was positive for Covid (probably caught it a few days before in another Albergue).

Ce informed the other pilgrims at the Albergue that morning and they were quickly out the door and back on their walk - including a man that had been suffering a cough for a few days!

Ce quickly reported to the Hospitalero, who was great and helped her - after two hotels refused to take her for isolation in Burgos, she found one that did and organised a taxi to get Ce there.

Ce tried to call a health hotline there but was unsuccessful being understood.

She self-isolated for 7 days.

Ce paid her bill and went to a Dr in Burgos for a cert - they wouldn't see her so she went to a hospital - they said they were too busy and come back in 2 hours!

She did and they gave her a RAT test that was faintly positive (much less than her earlier one), and said she had to isolate.

She showed a photo of her earlier tests and they said they could only accept a test from a chemist, Dr or Hospital and to now self isolate for 2-3 days and someone would call her.

She got back to the previous hotel who were very helpful, gave her her own room back and 3 days later (10 in all) after a -ve self RAT test and no call back, she went back on the walk.

She went forward by train and met up with her Camino family again and walked into Santiago, had a rest and for fun, went to a Corona and is walking back again to Santiago.

As a triple vaxxed person she only had a couple of days of a cough and headache at the beginning and said she feels fine.

Looks like many Peregrinos may be walking with Covid symptoms but are not treating them as anything more than the old flu, so if you need to take precautions around others.

If you are unwell, get an "official test - Chemist, Doc or Hospital at the beginning".

The rules have probably changed by now re isolation periods and close contact rules so keep checking.

It would be great if Pilgrims are give some helpful literature along the way for what to do if unwell but it is probably changing so quickly (masks indoors are about to disappear) but a working hotline telephone number might be helpful?

Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So I am currently in Santiago, dealing with a positive Covid test and wonder if anyone has experience in Santiago with getting the US required medical clearance letter needed to fly home.

I had just finished my 700 km walk, and felt reasonably well but had a occasional slight cough and decided to self test with a test kit I had been carrying for a month. I had a flight to Madrid scheduled for that day and wondered about the cough.

My rapid antigen test was positive, and I realized in retrospect that I probably had had very very mild symptoms over the preceding 5 days. And I remembered all the pilgrims I had talked with who had reported a variety of URI and other symptoms, and had not self-tested.

I knew enough to get my rapid home test confirmed with an official lab test. This is easy in Santiago as there is one lab company that is happy to come to your hotel room.

I was staying in Hospedería San Martin Pinario, my favorite place in Santiago, in one of their 4th floor pilgrim rooms when I tested positive, and they were happy to let me stay on, delivering meals outside my door. In fact, they told me I could not leave.

The Galician public health number in SpTH is no longer correct. The hotel gave me the new number but my Spanish was not good enough to get much advice. I did learn that isolation is now longer required in Spain. The new policy is one must always wear a mask for 10 days, and especially avoid high-risk people.

The Santiago tourist office was very helpful in sending me information in English from Galicia Public Health and lists of lab facilities and clinics.

PerCDC, I would be allowed to fly home after May 7th, 10 days after onset of symptoms, but I am worrying about how challenging it will be when I find a doctor at a clinic tomorrow …..any experience out there?

Currently in Leon with positive and only symptom is fatigue. I couldn't put in more than 10 km.

I am contacting airline tomorrow to double check. From US embassy in Spain....

https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Recovery certificates that are issued at least 11 days after the first positive COVID test, and up to a maximum of 180 days after the date of sampling, are accepted as valid. The COVID tests accepted are those authorized by the European Commission and must have been performed by healthcare professionals after October 1, 2021. Passengers with a Recovery Certificate other than an EU Digital COVID Certificate or equivalent must also provide documentary proof of the diagnostic test from which the Recovery Certificate is derived.

Crossing my fingers that I may get negative test because my flight only gives me 8 days. For others....get a PCR test asap to get the clock running. I tried two self tests and they we negative.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Currently in Leon with positive and only symptom is fatigue. I couldn't put in more than 10 km.

I am contacting airline tomorrow to double check. From US embassy in Spain....

https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Recovery certificates that are issued at least 11 days after the first positive COVID test, and up to a maximum of 180 days after the date of sampling, are accepted as valid. The COVID tests accepted are those authorized by the European Commission and must have been performed by healthcare professionals after October 1, 2021. Passengers with a Recovery Certificate other than an EU Digital COVID Certificate or equivalent must also provide documentary proof of the diagnostic test from which the Recovery Certificate is derived.

Crossing my fingers that I may get negative test because my flight only gives me 8 days. For others....get a PCR test asap to get the clock running. I tried two self tests and they we negative.
I got a medical clearance letter based on cdc requirement that 1O full days had passed from onset of symptoms, and I had been symptom free 5 days. My illness was very very mild, like having 3% of a head cold.
Some information provided by airlines says that one must be 10 past positive Covid test, which I am not. CDC says 10 days past positive test, or onset of symptoms, whichever came first.
I’m not sure the provider would have given me clearance if my rapid antigen test on day 10hadn’t been negative.
British airways is letting me on their plane to London now. They can’t say whether British Airways in London will let me fly on to the the States tomorrow.
CDC is quite clear one does not have to have a negative test in the 90 days after infection, but in Spain, some medical folks feel otherwise.
It is not straightforward.

Well today tested +, with a home test on route on the Via Gebennensis. Figured the fatigue was from 7 days of 14 mile days. Today took a PCR test in La Côte San André for confirmation but am now at an accueile jacquaire where the host picked us( my husband and I ) up and will let me isolate here!! My husband is -, so he’s going to sleep outside or on the couch. The kindness of this woman has put me to tears. Presently I have a little dry cough.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks, but where would you get the accommodation? I presume pilgrims have faced this problem.
I walked the Camino for 6 weeks last August and used Booking.com to make all of my lodging arrangements. I booked (90+% of the time) single rooms with private bathrooms. This was to help avoid getting COVID to begin with. I would hope you could do this to book a place to stay if you were to get COVID. Good luck on your adventure.

I walked the Camino for 6 weeks last August and used Booking.com to make all of my lodging arrangements. I booked (90+% of the time) single rooms with private bathrooms. This was to help avoid getting COVID to begin with. I would hope you could do this to book a place to stay if you were to get COVID. Good luck on your adventure.
Thanks. Now waiting until next April

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just to share my experience. Had covid pos on Camino Frances. Alberga kicked me out - naturally. I went to a monastery where I was isolated alone for 3 days. Symptoms where there only for 6 hours. Then all fine. Walked 26km next day and then +30km. All normal. Symptoms naturally vary. I was lucky.

Afterwards one can say that isolation time was short, but having heard all the coffing and sneezing at albergas its not that bad...🌞

Key messages 1) in case you feel ill get your self tested. Processes are good in Spain 2) Isolate and take care of your self. Symptoms vary. 3) Camino is not necessary ending with covid. If you are lucky and have time all can go good. Take it slowly in the beginning.

Afterwards it was amazing experience. 3 days in Eastern in totally solitude taken care by nunns. Walked the whole Camino Frances + Finisterra +Muxia + SdC = over 1000km. 2 rain days. 1 covid 🌞

I started my isolation yesterday y Santoña (CDN)
i started my isolation yesterday in Santoña (CDN) and got info from the tourism office in Laredo. I also found Just Eat, a food delivery service. Fortunately I brought Test Kits and Cold FX with me, and Advil for the fever. For the first 24 hrs I just slept and now am more alert. So things are not so bad other than being more expensive!

Thanks. Now waiting until next April
Just got back from the CF and honestly this is probably the right decision. A lot of people have given you well meaning advice, but there is so much more to it than simply calling the health department. For the people I met who had gotten Covid, no one had anyone hold their hand through the process. On the camino odds are you will be in a small town, so your first priority when you become ill is to figure out how to get to a larger town/city in order to have access to medical care in case things go south. Pilgrims I met who got Covid had to take a bus or taxi to a larger town or were given a ride by a hostel owner. They knew they were putting people at risk but there wasn’t much they could do beyond informing people and wearing a mask. Second, you have to get private accommodations and be in a place where you can get meals delivered. Private accommodations (with private bathroom) can be easily booked in hostels or hotels on booking.com in larger cities (smaller towns are often sold out of private accommodations), but of course are expensive. Lastly, you might miss your flight home or other bookings and may not get refunded. That is also expensive. So, overall it’s just super expensive and complicated to get Covid along the camino. You get sick and all of a sudden have to worry about a bunch of details like “how am I going to eat?” That’s really anxiety-provoking. Plus, it’s going to be soooooo hot in August. April will be much better! Buen camino!

I may be coming late to this but I thought that if you were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms, isolation was no longer required by the Spanish government. Are people (pilgrims) still required to isolate, or are just self-isolating until symptoms are gone to be considerate?

Isolation is no longer required for those who have tested positive though masks and some discretion are “advised”.
How the asymptomatic are to exercise that discretion is debatable assuming they’ll not have tested and become aware of their status in the first instance

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.