• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sept 2015

kami50

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning my trip September 2015
Hi everyone, I'm a 50 year old, quiet fit with a babckground of triathlon and marathons. I will probably be on my own. My main concern is my gear, and language barriers. Hoping to go september 2015.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am planning my trip for the same time frame. Hope to leave around september 4 to arrive in Santiago by October 11 for my 65th birthday

Hi, Kami -

"Fit" is good. Great, actually, as long as it does not make one over-confident or create an expectation that "I should go farther/faster.". Even worse would be the expectation that "This will be a breeze."

Camino is not a triathlon nor a marathon. It is an endurance walk.

Physically, it puts totally different and very prolonged stresses on feet, back and joints.

Mentally, it hangs one out to dry rather often.

Start slow, get acclimated. I have seen a lot of very fit people nearly destroyed by the time of arrival in Santo Domingo.

Gear - Keep it simple, keep it light. Plenty of threads here to be found on September/October experience on the Camino to help with your pack list. Just use the "Search" function here.

I hope this helps!

B

PS to Danny Doyle - What a GREAT WAY to celebrate 65! (I have the same plan to commemorate mine.:))

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks simply B, have been looking up and reading everything I can get my hands on, plan to take it slow, as I want to see everything I can, and enjoy the walk, not rush through. And danny doyle, maybe run into you on the trail, am thinking of going around the same time.

Hi there,

I'm planning to walk the Frances route around the same time kami and danny - Sept/Oct 2015. I'm planning to allow extra time so I can choose how far I walk each day and have the option for extra rest days if I choose. Not planning to book anything in advance except my airfares and Orisson the first night. After that it will be a see where I end up proposition each day.
I'm sure we'll chat here more than once before we go and maybe even meet up on the camino.

Hope

Hi Hope, I wasn't going to book anything ahead, apart from flights. Has anyone done a walk/hike/trek before? In any country? My main concern is the gear, have been reading up on it and of course everyone has different ideas. And then I get to the store and just get even more confused. Luckily I've given myself over 12 months to prepare! Lol.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good morning Hope. I have not scheduled anything yet eitger. I am doing a lot of reading though so I can figure out what to bring. I too will start with flights first as I would like to be in sjpdp for around September 3

Has anyone done a walk/hike/trek before? In any country? My main concern is the gear.

I did a 3 day trek in New Zealand earlier this year. Had to carry everything, food water etc. I loved it!! As far as gear goes I've found it pretty confusing as well. I bought "Pilgrim Tips and Packing List" by S Yates and Daphne Hnatiuk. It's an easy read and came well recommended. I've found it quite useful so far with tips on what to look for in gear. After visiting the shops I went home and googled as many reviews as possible to make sure I was on the right track. So far I've bought my pack and my shoes.

I too will start with flights first as I would like to be in sjpdp for around September 3

Looks like we'll be walking at the same time. I might be starting a day or two before you but I'm sure you'll catch up!!

I did the Death Valley 300 mile ultra many years ago but I'm now a lot older, I smoke but I do walk a lot and am planning to do Mt snowdon in a couple of weeks, followed a week or two later perhaps the Cotswold way in the UK and then at the end of august. I'm then off to Spain to do some mountain walks.. Plan to do the camino in around June 2015. Travel as light as you can is my advice.. But make sure you take essentials.. Enjoy..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hope, will have to see if I can get a copy of that book. Primus, I'm hoping once I do the camino I will get yhe hiking bug and do similar holidays, so have been looking up more walks through Europe. I'll have all the gear by then, so I may as well use it. Lol.

I did the Death Valley Badwater ultra a couple of times then I did the double and after that I said I would never run again..two weeks later I was.. Although I don't run anymore I do walk a lot and if you have a good camino you will get the bug, even if you have a bad camino, you will still get the bug..best advice... Listen to your body..pain is your body's way to say take a rest..lol..

Hi there, just a quick Hello - I'm planning for the same time frame. I'm from Germany, will start in SJPdP in the 1st or 2nd week of September.
I'll start out alone and see what comes my way ... ;-)

Cu,
Volker

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anyone looking at a June 2015 start...would like to complete before the real heat of mid august...

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back