• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sept. 2021 start

crbwatson

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to start my journey Sept. 17th. I have not yet booked my flights because I am wondering how concerned the local population is about all the pilgrims walking through their village? I am fully vaccinated and will be bringing my card, but that may not even matter if the aubergues are shutting down due to Covid. I am also hoping that enough pilgrims are walking that there will still be a community of pilgrims to commune with. Any thoughts??
Thanks, Chris

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am planning to start my journey Sept. 17th. I have not yet booked my flights because I am wondering how concerned the local population is about all the pilgrims walking through their village? I am fully vaccinated and will be bringing my card, but that may not even matter if the aubergues are shutting down due to Covid. I am also hoping that enough pilgrims are walking that there will still be a community of pilgrims to commune with. Any thoughts??
Thanks, Chris
I’ll be walking the Camino starting sept 15

Thanks, Chris
I start SJPP 8/30, rooms booked, walking alone but hopefully not alone. 4th Camino, 61yo F, carrying vax card in pocket, gratefuls and hope in my backpack.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I’ll be walking the Camino starting sept 15
I am planning on flying out of Idaho on the 14th and arriving in Paris to St. Jean on the 15th. I figured I would need a day or two to get oriented and adjusted to the jet lag. I hope to meet you somewhere on the road, however, I will be a solo walker and at 64 will not be pushing too fast!

I am planning on flying out of Idaho on the 14th and arriving in Paris to St. Jean on the 15th. I figured I would need a day or two to get oriented and adjusted to the jet lag. I hope to meet you somewhere on the road, however, I will be a solo walker and at 64 will not be pushing too fast!
Am 72 F flying from Pacific Northwest to Bilbao then bus to Irun hoping to meet others on the way. I have done 2006 st jean to Santiago 2007 le puy to Jaca 2009 vezelay to foy. 2012 Sevilla to Santiago 2018. Lisbon to Porto ( almost. And Santiago to finistere.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In a "normal" year, your departure would be in the middle of the busy season, and there would be doubts about finding a bed more than anything else. As it is, many pilgrims have decided to sit this year out. But many have also made their plans (including me!) and will be setting off around the same time as you. There is NO chance of finding yourself alone, and there will be lots of people to meet up with. The tricky part this year from a social perspective will be a drastic reduction in the famous albergue communal dinners due to Covid restrictions. Still, the word from people walking over the past month is that even though it is quieter than usual, there are pilgrims out there, albergues open at reduced capacity, and services to be had. Some things are closed, but not most things. As for conditions in a month from now, who knows? My weather prediction is likely to be better than my Covid prediction. Yet, terrific progress has been made in getting people vaccinated, and the odds are looking like the majority of locals will welcome pilgrims with open arms (and open bars!). We like to say that the Camino Provides. Its not clear quite what it will be providing this year - including a possible 10 day self isolation if you get sick - but I expect that it will also be providing what you need when you need it. See you out there......

Buen Camino

In a "normal" year, your departure would be in the middle of the busy season, and there would be doubts about finding a bed more than anything else. As it is, many pilgrims have decided to sit this year out. But many have also made their plans (including me!) and will be setting off around the same time as you. There is NO chance of finding yourself alone, and there will be lots of people to meet up with. The tricky part this year from a social perspective will be a drastic reduction in the famous albergue communal dinners due to Covid restrictions. Still, the word from people walking over the past month is that even though it is quieter than usual, there are pilgrims out there, albergues open at reduced capacity, and services to be had. Some things are closed, but not most things. As for conditions in a month from now, who knows? My weather prediction is likely to be better than my Covid prediction. Yet, terrific progress has been made in getting people vaccinated, and the odds are looking like the majority of locals will welcome pilgrims with open arms (and open bars!). We like to say that the Camino Provides. Its not clear quite what it will be providing this year - including a possible 10 day self isolation if you get sick - but I expect that it will also be providing what you need when you need it. See you out there......

Buen Camino
Can’t wait to get on the road again!!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My wife and I start our 4th camino on Sept 17 from St Jean. I am 64 years old and my wife turns 64 in October. We hiked our three prior caminos in Sept-Oct. Weather has been great and lots of pilgrims competing for beds. Two years ago, we made advance reservations for every night and have done so again this time. During our 2019 camino, we only joined a few communal meals (such as Fonfria). Hope to see you on the trail! Bob and Cindi from Indianapolis

Solo traveler, 67 years young, 1st Camino, leaving Spokane WA September 18 to Paris, spend the night then Easy jet to Biarritz & shuttle to SJPP on the 20th. Will begin my solo trek on September 21st with first stop in Orisson. I have booked many rooms primarily single rooms with private baths. I prefer privacy when sleeping. Buen Camino fellow pilgrims. Looking forward to making many new friends.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks, Chris
Will be walking starting the 17 or 18 also

Hello! How exciting! I will also be there--I am 59 yo (F), doing my first camino with my son who is 19. Our plan is to fly into Pamplona 9/12, see the city a bit then bus to St Jean; he will start from there, I will go back to Pamplona and wait for him as I am not yet fit enough for the Pyrenees.
Though I am doing my training I know I cannot do the complete stages, at least not at first. So our paths may cross!

Hello,

I'm Flying into Biarritz on the 18th of September from Dublin. I'll be spending the night in SJPP to begin on the 19th. Also fully vaccinated.

Cannot wait to get back on the Camino :)

Ciaran

Solo traveler, 67 years young, 1st Camino, leaving Spokane WA September 18 to Paris, spend the night then Easy jet to Biarritz & shuttle to SJPP on the 20th. Will begin my solo trek on September 21st with first stop in Orisson. I have booked many rooms primarily single rooms with private baths. I prefer privacy when sleeping. Buen Camino fellow pilgrims. Looking forward to making many new friends.
I have just booked my flight from Spokane to Paris for Sept. 13th. I will take the train to St. Jean changing trains in Bayonne. I am now starting the trek on the 16th. I too will be arranging a stay in Orrison. I am not a fan of long steep hikes! Buen Camino.

I have just booked my flight from Spokane to Paris for Sept. 13th. I will take the train to St. Jean changing trains in Bayonne. I am now starting the trek on the 16th. I too will be arranging a stay in Orrison. I am not a fan of long steep hikes! Buen Camino.
Yea!!! See ya on the Camino fellow pilgrim

I am leaving British Columbia Canada on Aug. 25th. On to Bilbao. I will begin walking from Logrono on August 30th. I am so excited for my second leg of the journey. I am fully vaccinated and will follow all health directives.

I am leaving British Columbia Canada on Aug. 25th. On to Bilbao. I will begin walking from Logrono on August 30th. I am so excited for my second leg of the journey. I am fully vaccinated and will follow all health directives.
I'm travelling from Bilbao to Logrono on September 7th but noticed the trains to Logroño are PM (at least, they were yesterday, it might change). Instead, I'm taking an early bus to Logroño to avoid an unplanned overnight there. (I'll walk on to my first stop instead).

But, you might already have spotted that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you. I am staying two nights in Bilbao and 2 nights in Logrono to help get over jet lag. Buen Camino and who knows, we may meet along the Way!

I'm from Florida. I'll be starting September 5th from Ponferrada and plan to walk to the coast and back to Santiago. I am 74 years old. To say I'm looking forward to return to the Camino and walk is an understatement. A sincere Buen Camino to all you pilgrims and I hope to meet some of you. ❤

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back