A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Luggage Storage in Santiago

Advertisement

Sept Already Booked?

JAO

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sept 2018
I looked into pre-booking in St Jean and Roncevailles for early Sept 2018 and was shocked to learn that many places were already fully booked. I had intended to stop in Orisson, but haven't got an answer yet. This means that in Roncevailles I would have to hope that the municipal hostel has space. I'm a slow hiker. Should I be worried?

Advertisment

Morgan Holmes

Every day is a path to walk.
Donating Member
Camino Angel
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances to Santiago from SJPDP (2014); Sahagún to Santiago (2018).
If you can't get into Orrison, seriously consider taking the Valcarlos route and staying over in Luzaide/Valcarlos.
I was worried about my capacity to walk in 2014 and sought a spot at Orrison but it was already booked 3 months ahead.
I learned on my first days that it's often a "mistake" to force yourself to be in a particular place at a particular time. I had pre-booked for my first night in SJPDP, but missed out because of travel problems out of Bordeaux, so that was money lost. When I arrived a day late to SJPDP, I was easily and happily welcomed at the municipal at the last minute.
I did walk all the way to Roncesvalles on the first day out, and it was fine --- stayed at the monastery which was lovely. The next day at Zubiri there wasn't a single bed in town because of a festival going on, but there was a man with a van and a casa rural up the hill, so 5 of us piled in and shared two rooms, had a lovely sunrise breakfast on a hilltop verandah....
Try not to worry too much; there are always alternatives to "the plan".

trecile

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Aug-Sept(2016) SJPDP-Finisterre, July-Aug(2017) SJPDP-Muxia-Finisterre, July-Aug(2018) El Norte
I looked into pre-booking in St Jean and Roncevailles for early Sept 2018 and was shocked to learn that many places were already fully booked. I had intended to stop in Orisson, but haven't got an answer yet. This means that in Roncevailles I would have to hope that the municipal hostel has space. I'm a slow hiker. Should I be worried?
Make sure that you have the correct email address for Orisson. It's refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr

davebugg

DustOff: "When I have your wounded."
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
Hi, JAO, and welcome to the forum.... :)

I noticed that lodging, in general, in SJPdP was becoming more difficult to locate as I was looking at reservations for September 17 this year.... and that was back in February. o_O St Jean is popular with both tourists and pilgrims during the fall season, which is why I had started looking at the lodging situation so early; I wanted to get a feel of how things were going. I remember posting about this back then as someone had talked about whether or not to book a room for early September, even though it we were just barely into 2018.

You can reserve a bed at the albergue in Roncesvalles.

http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/reservas.php

There are also lodgings in Burgette and Espinal, which are about 3 and 7 km further along from Roncesvalles, although Burgette, especially, is also popular; but fewer pilgrims plan on spending a night there. At any point along Camino that lodgings are fully booked at your planned daily stop, you can always take a taxi to the next town and then return to your stopping point the next morning, if you find yourself too tired to continue.

So, for example, if you get to Roncesvalles and the albergue is completo, then take a taxi (if the extra 3 km is too much for the day) to Burgette or Espinal, spend the night there, then taxi back to Roncesvalles the next morning.

Monasp

I'm a manager of pilgrims office in SJPP
Camino Angel
Camino(s) past & future
Camino in 2008.
Hi,
Don't be afraid the pilgrims office 39 rue de la Citadelle à SJPP will help you.

Advertisment

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 26 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 94 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 156 26.1%
  • June