• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September Starters

JaneB

there seem to be a few of us now who are planning a September start, shall we encourage each other through the excitement, and panic, of the next few months?

I'm Jane and am planning to leave from StJPdP on 1st September. Originally I was due to leave at the start of September 2008 but real life got in the way and so my plans changed, my first Camino lesson, perhaps? My partner will meet me in Santiago sometime around the middle of October so there should be a clear 6 weeks for me to enjoy the slow pace that will, inevitably, be all I can manage

I've got my pack (Osprey Aura 35), chosen my poles (Pacer) but still not resolved the boots issue! Begun walking, managing 6-8 miles on the local coast path but hoping to step that up significantly now that Easter is nearly over.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I too will be beginning in September. Tickets purchased, pack list in final stages and trying to get my walking in on a regular basis. I have decided to use hiking/approach shoes (New Balance 1110) rather than my leather (and beloved) hiking boots. I might still change my mind though! Only five months to go! Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello,
I also plan to start around the first of September. I haven't bought tickets yet or firmed up my plans.
I have just started to buy my gear. My Jam2 backpack just arrived!!!
I have been walking daily...no big deal, as I always walk for an hour or so, but now I am stepping it up...longer walks, heavier pack, etc. Good hiking in the beautiful mountains of New England starts this week for me. I am lucky I have lots of hiking partners!!!

I will follow this feed
Rita

I will be starting Sept 6 or 7 after volunteering at L'Esprit du Chemin for a couple of weeks. I am still not sure which camino I will do. I did Camino Frances in 2006 but missed a couple of sections due to my sister's injured knee. I would really like to spend some time in France so I may decide to start on one of the French routes.
I haven't bought my ticket yet either. I keep hoping the price will go down some.

Melinda

could be a busy time on the Camino! Just about to attempt to make my reservations at L'Esprit du Chemin, then it'll REALLY feel as though I've started the planning

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will meet you then. I arrive there on August 26th and start volunteering on the 27th.

I'll look forward to it. No doubt you'll be seeing many nervous pilgrims during your time there, more than at any other albergue, I guess!

Hi,
Mike and I, with friends Bruce and Heather (all from Australia), will arrive SJPP and will stay at L'Esprit du Chemin 5th Sept. We'll start walking the next day. Looks as though we'll have lots of company. So looking forward to meeting up with some of you. Happy planning.
Jacki.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
email sent requesting a room for the night of 31st August (also the previous night if I make the connections ok) It's all starting to happen!

now.....back to the problem of boots :D

Is anyone going to be on the Camino del Norte in the last week in September? Subject to my manager agreeing my holiday dates, we plan to leave Limoges on our bicycles on the Via Limocivencis (every time I write that I make a guess at the correct spelling! I try to avoid putting a Lemon in it) about Sept 20th and get to Santander for a ferry home by 5th October.

Hello everyone,

Wow, sounds like there are going to be lots of people starting early September too. I am starting from SJPdP either 6 or 7 Sep, depending on the weather. I have my flights booked into Paris on 03Sep but I am going to take my time and get used to the new time zone. I have 6 weeks as well so I am not in a great rush.

Jane, regarding your boots...it is certainly an individual choice. I read through a lot of posts here and on other sites regarding footwear and the common thread was to get what you felt most comfortable in. I checked out several stores and couldn't find anything that fit me right. After about 5 stores, I tried on a pair of Keen Targhee Mid II and they fit like a glove. They are light but sturdy and waterproof. I wore them home from the store and have been walking in them now for over a month with no problems. Of course I also swapped out the insoles for a pair of Polysorb Backpacker insoles that are great and the hiker socks add to the comfort as well.

Good luck and hope to see you all there!
Bill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Bridget and Peter, I will be planning to arrive in Santiago (coming off the via Lemovicensis - I think!)and the del Norte on September 30th - or that is when I am booked to fly to London for 8 days R&R, after 87 days of walking!. Kevin (Omar) will be a couple of weeks ahead of me, and Alan Pearce - both from the forum will be a couple of days behind me. Three Aussies from three different states. The way you cyclists travel you could well catch up with us all! Mind you I have planned both the Del Norte from Oviedo and the Primitivo and will make a decision when I get there as to which one I will take. Enjoy your planning. Cheers, Janet

somehow submitted twice and so have removed! Cheers, Janet

mrbillyto - I've been trying on boots for months! I have a pair of Berghaus shoes which fit like a glove but due to ligament re-construction on my ankle 10 years ago I reckon that boots rather than shoes will be the order of the day because of the need for support. Nothing, so far, has seemed quite right. My poor partner simply smiles as I announce 'I'm off to try on boots!'
The right pair are out there. just waiting to be found :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
jl said:
The way you cyclists travel you could well catch up with us all!

No, not us! We will not get to Santiago this year! I'm not at all sure we will make Santander - if not will have to take a train to the ferry! We do not cycle fast. We do not wear lycra, do not cycle up hills without panting, (or getting off and walking). We sit around a lot eating. We stop at too many churches and take pictures. We talk to old ladies on benches. We read books in the sun. We get up slowly and drink cups of tea. We even have baskets on the front of our bikes.

The Bilbao ferry (Pand O) has a silly website which will not tell me how much two people plus two bikes cost - a bike is a vehicle and therefore each booking must obviously have only one! However the Santander ferry is Brittany Ferries and their website works! Therefore, they win the custom! (And it was a good price.)

I will be very interested in all your journey - will you be blogging as you go? Though we found it a pain looking for internet access lasy year. Our children complained they didn't know where we were. (Mind you, the youngest had refrained from telling us she was pregnant at 18 before we left, so she was feeling a bit vulnerable, I now know)

I am managing to catch up our blog doing about one day every three evenings! Perhaps by the time you leave I will have got as far as Flavignac, for you to read.

I am procrastinating - I am working at home today and therefore should not be doing this but writing guidelines for implementing Training Standards for foster carers. In a minute!

Hi Bridget (and Peter),

No, I think it highly unlikely that I will do a blog - it has taken me all my time to register on a couple of blogs to leave comments for friends and so I don't think I will be doing one - it would have to be a very steep learning curve if I did. Usually on my trips I send emails out to family and friends, rather, I send to a few key people and then they forward them on. I like to "chat" to people amd so my emails are lengthy and reasonably descriptive - I let my fingers do the talking - it must be the pianist in me I think! I will endeavour to do a post / report a few times while I am on the way though (no promises). If you would like to be on the (email) list send me a PM with your email address and I will put you on it. Who knows - there is no book (in English) about this particular path so maybe I will get my fingers really working on my return!

If all goes according to plan I think I should be in Santander about the 5th Sept. It is a little dissapointing as on around the 1st of Sept there is a really interesting boat race / competition in this area, but I think I will be past it by then, otherwise I would have to walk too far each day later on.

Cheers, Janet

Hi JaneB,
Guess I got lucky by your standards in find a pair of boots! I have no doubt you will find what you feet are looking for, probably in the most unexpected place.
Good luck and see you on the Camino!
Bill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bridget and Peter said:
jl said:
We do not cycle fast. We do not wear lycra, do not cycle up hills without panting, (or getting off and walking). We sit around a lot eating. We stop at too many churches and take pictures. We talk to old ladies on benches. We read books in the sun. We get up slowly and drink cups of tea. We even have baskets on the front of our bikes.

Hi Bridget and Peter
I love the above quote!!!! I had to laugh out loud when I read it, as it sounds like a good way to cylce!!!

I had originally thought I would cycle the Camino, but now have decided to walk.

Now I am thinking I should walk the same way...just meander along, eating, taking pictures and talking to old ladies on benches. Love it!! Love it!! YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY! I can't get the grin off my face.

My husband thinks I am nuts and refuses to walk with me, but if we adopt your policy maybe I can entice him. I will read this post to him.
Good Luck to you guys
Rita

Hermanita said:
Now I am thinking I should walk the same way...just meander along, eating, taking pictures and talking to old ladies on benches.

this is EXACTLY how I plan to walk my Camino!
(I laughed, too :D )

Hermanita said:
My husband thinks I am nuts and refuses to walk with me, but if we adopt your policy maybe I can entice him. I will read this post to him.

Tell him that we have a lovely time together - it's a real treat to be away from the demands of the everyday life, the phone, the offspring needing parental input for things like 'what sort of blind do we need for a velux window' (today's request from a daughter who did not announce her name; they all sound the same on the phone), the dust settling on the clutter which should have been tidied up weeks ago - you know what I mean. Instead there's just the two of us and the open road. All we have to do is cycle to the next refuge, stop in a village to buy something to eat for lunch, something to cook that evening and something for breakfast. On the way we can explore anything which catches our eye. We can talk to each other without being interrupted. It's bliss.

Last time I extolled the virtues of going with my husband a lot of people who like walking alone or whose partner doesn't enjoy walking told me so very forcefully. I do realise that what we enjoy may not appeal to others, but I'm not ashamed to say what a wonderful time we have! (Except when we bicker over who decided to go the wrong way up a steep hill, or worse, down it so that we have to go up it or when its raining and our blood sugar is low and we bicker about the same things we have biockered about for the last 30 odd years)

love Bridget

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
must be the good vibes from here but I think that I've settled on my boots (finally!). I did all the right things today; walked 3 or 4 miles in tried and tested shoes so that my feet were bigger, wore the socks + liners that I intend to wear then went to the best local outdoors shop (Taunton Leisure, for anyone local). I've tried on lots of boots in there before but today I got a young man who was prepared to take all the time in the world, plus encourage me to visit other places (inc. giving me recommendations for their rivals). He wanted to know details of the terrain, time of year, whether I wanted GoreTex (I don't) and agreed with my reasoning when I said I didn't. Then he got out every pair of boots that might be suitable. I ran up and down stairs, walked round and round the shop, up and down the slope, backwards and forwards. Had a lesson on lacing for different situations, going up hills and coming down again. All taking into account the surgery I had on my ankle some years ago. He was great!

So, it look as though I shall be wearing Meindl Arizona Women's boots, non-GoreTex lined, suede and nubuck. They're soft and comfortable as well as being supportive of the ankle. Never thought that I'd find something to replace my much loved Berghaus shoes but I guess I have

Moral of this tale? It's worth taking the time to find the right boots, but that can also mean finding the right person to talk to!

Hi, Here's another one planning a september Camino. And there's me thinking it would be quiet then. I'm setting off from SJDP but haven't set a start date yet. I'm fortunate enough to be retired and living in the south west of France. So no need to book anything. I can just start when I'm ready. Walking about 60km a week at present. If I increase that by 10% each week I should be ready by september. Look forward to meeting some of you.

Mike

A slightly strange day today as I would have been beginning the Camino but for family bereavement. It was definitely the right decision to postpone. I am now planning to start from Valencia on around September 6th, finishing around 8 weeks later,

Andy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Andy
I had to postpone my Camino last year and am now starting almost exactly 12 months later than I originally intended. It is indeed an odd feeling, I spent a long time thinking, and saying, I SHOULD be doing so-and-so now, or I OUGHT to be walking into such-and-such a place by now. It took me a while to realise, and accept, that the time wasn't right for me then. It was, I think, my first Camino lesson. The first one of many, I'm sure. You can plan as much as you like but the Camino has its own ideas for you!

Bridget and Peter said:
Hermanita said:

Tell him that we have a lovely time together - it's a real treat to be away from the demands of the everyday life, the phone, the offspring needing parental input .... I do realise that what we enjoy may not appeal to others, but I'm not ashamed to say what a wonderful time we have!

love Bridget

I was just reading through September starters again (which is when we will start too) and agree so much with what Bridget wrote. These weeks are so precious in a world of frenzy. To be able to walk it with Adriaan has certainly been one of God's blessings. Rita, tell your husband that if he is fit, he should consider walking with you.
We want to experience the Camino at least one more time, as we are both in the "over 65 category". We leave Roncevalles on 16th September and should arrive in Santiago about 21st/23rd October, so that we can hopefully celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary with mass at the cathedral. Who knows, the botafumero might just swing for us - we didn't see it last year!
Anne

Rita, tell your husband that if he is fit, he should consider walking with you.
and...
We leave Roncevalles on 16th September and should arrive in Santiago about 21st/23rd October, so that we can hopefully celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary with mass at the cathedral. Who knows, the botafumero might just swing for us - we didn't see it last year!
Anne

Hi Anne I wish it was that simple. My husband is very fit, but he has no iterest in a pilgrimage, unfortunately for me. But maybe it is meant to be that I should do this alone.

Congratulations on your almost 45 years of marriage. We will celebrate 45 years this year also.

Maybe we will meet on the Camino.
All the best to both of you
Rita

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Boots have done their first 'proper' outing with no problem

Flight booked to Biarritz 30th August

L'Esprit du Chemin booked for 30th and 31st August

My camino is really happening!

Howdy all...

I will be leaving SJPP around the 20th of August.... because I will probably be walking wayyy slower then everyone else... I will probably be seeing you. I will have 9 weeks for my Camino and I love that... slow and steady. I hope to see all of you at various stages of our amazing journey's.

K.

Hi hypnotrekker55, reading your post I just have one little comment. With 9 weeks to walk the Camino you might like to consider starting just a few days further down the valley at somewhere like Saint Palais - or even Ostobat. This would only be a few days extra walking and it will gently ease you in to the mountain hop you have to do. Except for a steepish hill before Ostobat it is a lovely walk up the valley and it is a real treat seeing all the Basque villages along the way.

Enjoy your planning, and remember it is your Camino and so what if you are taking it slowly - you will have lots of time to absorb the beauty and culture surrounding you. regards, Janet

Hi Jane; I am starting Sept 9th, also bought an Osprey 35, and walking local trails, got to 25K last weekend with the pack on and 8K of stuff in it, and it was not too bad. I bought a pair of Keene "Targee" hiking boots, light, over the ankles ( they are boots not shoes) and after putting about 100K on them I am really pleased. They were recommended by several Camino hikers at a gathering I attended here in Victoria last month. Cost here about 150CDN. Also bought the liners by Superfeet, the store fit them to the boot and they are much better than the liner that comes with the boot. Cost about 30CDN.
Have not bought the hiking poles yet, why did you choose that brand ( I ask because I know nothing about poles but everyone I talk to says to get some). I also bought a raincoat and will probably buy a lightweight poncho too.

Can't wait til Sept.

regards,

AJP
Victoria BC Canada

Hi AJP,

Pacer Poles (which JaneB has bought) are different to normal hiking poles. They have been ergonomically designed by a physio, and the style when using them is not unlike what I have observed of skiers (only in the movies though - we don't have snow here!) The carbon fibre ones are very light, and when walking up hill they almost push one up. Check out their website to see the differences, the handle shape, and the technique whan walking. It is quite a different technique to the normal nordic pole style, but the advantage of them is that they can be used for many kilometres without hands ever getting tired, and no fear of "RSI" in the wrist. Hope that helps a bit in your decision making. Cheers, Janet

G'day September starters,
I'm setting off from Hondarribia on Sept 6 to walk to Santander. Bridget and Peter, I like your style for cycling. That's what I am trying on foot. Plenty of soaking up the atmosphere to get a 'feel' for the country and people. Janet, I think you replied to my first posting a couple of months ago. I was wondering how your plans were going. Good luck. I've a little over 3 months to go and I'm just about ready. The backpack weighs about 8kg. My training is going well. I hope your preparations are well in hand.
I have a question about the distances between Castro-Urdiales and Laredo that I hope someone might have an answer for. I'll post my question on the Norte forum as well.
The CSJ Guide seems to indicate that the distance between Castro-Urdiales and Laredo is just under 30km (if my reading of it and calculations are correct). I've checked a couple of other posts that seem to agree. However, another guide and an excellent posting here by Peregrina2000 states it closer to 40km. Can anyone help me resolve this? The difference might be about going through Islares although the CSJ Guide refers to going via there.
Good luck everyone.
Cheers,
Rodney

I've just booked my tickets for Barcelona, arriving on September 4, and (deo caninibusque volentes) will be in Santiago October 23d.

September 4th is my birthday and I hope to be walking into Pamplona that day having left St Jean on the 1st, still doesn't seem real

I have booked by airline tickets as Air Canada was having a seat sale. I fly out of Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada on Sept. 7th and arrive in Madrid on the 8th. Planning to stay in Madrid that night and then the next day to make my way to Roncesvalle via Pamplona and begin to walk on Sept. 10th. I am not returning until late Oct. in order to give myself enough time to walk and to do a bit of sightseeing - would love to see the Alhambra.

It seems overwhelming now as I have so much to do. I have been walking but since I retire in less that two weeks I will soon be able to get out and walk everyday and walk longer to build up some stamina. But the excitemnt is there as I made the big decision to walk my camino April 7, 2008. I have never done anything like this before, so it will be a great experience.

I will be walking slowly for the first little while and not walking the stages suggested in the various books and hoping to get a bed each night. I plan to stay in a hotel in Burgos and Leon and perhaps a few other nights if needed.

Hope to see lots of fellow pilgrims along the road

Gail

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome Gail!
Congratulations on both your retirement and your Camino. I will be starting my Camino from SJPdP a few days before you are starting from Roncesvalles but you never know, we may end up meeting each other on the Camino somewhere!
Enjoy,
Bill

JaneB said:
email sent requesting a room for the night of 31st August (also the previous night if I make the connections ok) It's all starting to happen!

now.....back to the problem of boots :D

Jane Hi

We are just back from our first Camino, we walked from Roncesvalles to Burgos in 15 days. We are delighted with that and hope to return later, in second half of sept ,to do the next section.

WE WERE VERY HAPPY WITH OUR WALKING BOOTS, they are Demon leather walking boots. No problems with our feet Thank God. We used Bees Coconut oil on our feet every morning and all was well.

Buen Camono

Elizabeth

Hi Rodney, I am planning to reach Irun on about the 25th August at this stage. I am booked to fly out from Aust. on July 3rd and am planning to start walking from Troyes / Bar-sur-Seine / Chaource (north of Vezelay) on 6th July. Thus I will be about 2 weeks ahead of you. After reaching Santiago I am going to London for a wind down for 8 days. (don't want to waste 9 days of my leave and am only able to spend 90 in the Schengen State, thus using my extra days in England - they will get my tourist dollar instead of Spain!) It is really getting exciting now - 6 weeks to go for me! Cheers, Janet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hermanita said:
Hello,
I also plan to start around the first of September. I haven't bought tickets yet or firmed up my plans.
I have just started to buy my gear. My Jam2 backpack just arrived!!!
I have been walking daily...no big deal, as I always walk for an hour or so, but now I am stepping it up...longer walks, heavier pack, etc. Good hiking in the beautiful mountains of New England starts this week for me. I am lucky I have lots of hiking partners!!!

I will follow this feed
Rita
hi hermanita i am also planning to do my third camino in september so i know now i will not be alone.it is a lonely path at times we met no one on the porto to santeago way.

mrbillyto said:
Welcome Gail!
Congratulations on both your retirement and your Camino. I will be starting my Camino from SJPdP a few days before you are starting from Roncesvalles but you never know, we may end up meeting each other on the Camino somewhere!
Enjoy,
Bill
hi bill pardon my question but where is sjpdp.lilloby

lilloby said:
hi hermanita i am also planning to do my third camino in september so i know now i will not be alone.it is a lonely path at times we met no one on the porto to santeago way.

Hi lilloby
What date will you be starting? and from where?

September seems to be a popular month.
I am glad this thread has come alive again.
The time is getting closer and each day I get more anxious and excited.
Still haven't bought tickets yet. Better get going on that.

Still working on my kit.

Hope to see you on the camino.
Rita

re september starters :this will be my third camino ,i think it becomes a drug ,you just want to go back on the trail leaving reality behind .We did the porto way last september and the weather was warm and sunny every day.We met no other pilgrims on the trail and few in the hostels if you want a quiet time this one is for you.We walked in the mountains and drank great coffee with the locals it was so cheap to eat and drink i would love to do it again but this year we will do some of the northern way.good luck to all first timers,it will change your life.lilloby

oursonpolaire said:
I've just booked my tickets for Barcelona, arriving on September 4, and (deo caninibusque volentes) will be in Santiago October 23d.
Are you going to walk the Camino Catelán?
Anne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Assuming that my knee holds up and the dogs don't get me. Currently, I am planning to head off NW to Huesca, over the Sierra de Loarre to Jaca and then the north side of the Embalse de Yesa to Leyre, then down to the Camino Francese. But, then again, I might change my mind.

We are planning to start on September the 11th from Pau to Pamplona via le col de Somport. Busy collecting information and reading other peoples blogs. All is helpful thanks.

I have booked my ticket from West Australia for Sept 11 and expect to be in SJDP on the 12th. Will probably leave from there on the 14th or 15th. I'm thinking I might book a night at Orisson. That would enable me to start slowly !! I'm allowing 6 weeks to walk. Of course, I might surprise myself and arrive in santiago sooner !!
Take care everyone and I look forward to meeting fellow pilgrims on the Way.
Alexandra.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am planning to fly home to Australia from Barcelona after walking SJDP to Santiago. Has anyone some ideas on the best way to travel from Santiago to Barcelona. I always enjoy reading the good advice on this Forum. Thanks.
Sandra (Alexandra).

Alexandria: go to Vueling airlines. The cost of an airline ticket to Barcelona is low and it is a whole lot faster than trying to make that distance using train or bus. They have only a few flights out each day but the price is right.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Alexandra,
We booked our flight to Barcelona from Santiago when we got to Leon. There is a travel agent close to the Cathedral where the staff were very helpful. Once you get to Leon you can work out roughly how long it will take you to get to Santiago. We flew with Spanair. Booking online is also an option. Enjoy your Camino. We will be walking the Portuguese route this time and also will be flying out from Barcelona again. It is a great city, so try to allow some time there. Staying in the Barri Gotic area was especially good.
Sharon

Greetings, folks!

I just submitted a new post, then saw this "September Starters" string, so I thought I'd cut and paste here to introduce myself as a September starter! I trust that's not breaking any rules. I'm quite new to this blogging thing!

My name is Ivor and I will be walking the Camino frances in September of this year, starting at St. Jean-Pied-de-Port and finishing in Finisterre. Perhaps there are others out there who plan to begin at the same time? I have had the "knowing" I would walk the Camino since early 2005, but life kept getting in the way! Now it's imminent and so, with only three months remaining, the pressure's on to get in shape!

I am retired and one of the things I do in my spare time is coordinate the Winnipeg chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims (http://www.santiago.ca/) so having actually made the pilgrimage will certainly be a benefit in that regard.

Peace & Love,

Ivor Lockhart
Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA

Ivor, there are several of us walking the camino in September. I'm starting on 1 Sept from SJP, and another member is starting from there either that same day or a day or so afterwards. :)

Kelly

And we are starting on 16th September from Roncevalles. Hope to see you along the Way. Anne & Adriaan

IvorL is well known for his work in starting up the Winnipeg branch and pilgrims should make a point of buying him a copa of tinto if they meet him on the way.

WolverineDG said:
Ivor, there are several of us walking the camino in September. I'm starting on 1 Sept from SJP, and another member is starting from there either that same day or a day or so afterwards. :)

Kelly

Thanks for sharing that. We'll be chatting before then, I'm sure, Wolverine.

Peace, ~Ivor

annakappa said:
And we are starting on 16th September from Roncevalles. Hope to see you along the Way. Anne & Adriaan

Hi Anne,

Yes, I saw your entry on the Camino Calendar. Not sure when I'll be starting as I want to spend about ten days in England first, but probably about the same time as you and Adriaan. I'm sure we'll be chatting before then anyway.

Peace,

Ivor

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I finally bought my ticket! I will arrive in SJPP on Aug 26, be volunteering at L'Esprit du Chemin until Sept 6th and will probably start walking Sept 7th. I still haven't decided which route to take though.

Hi Everyone,
This is my first time on the forum. My name is Cronan from Ireland and I am currently travelling in
Asia.
I would also love to do the Camino in September as I have taken a year out of work and have the time.
Does anyone have any advice for me ie should I walk on my own and weather advice etc??
I cant really buy a Camino guide over the net as currently I have no permanent address.
Should I just fly to the south of France and plan from there??

Hi Cronan,
I am sure you will manage fine walking on your own, and you'll soon discover there is plenty of company if you should want it. (I walked on my own as a 50 year old woman, so I am certain as a young man you will be fine!) If you arrive in SJPP you can collect some sheets of info from the Pilgrim Office with altitude charts and albergues for the whole Camino Frances. You can also buy the Miam Miam Dodo guide that has maps and more detailed info about albergues in Spain: it is in French but has lots of little pictures that provide an easy to follow code for what's available where. I actually can't recall seeing any English guidebooks in SJPP, but they may have been there. An alternative might be to get someone from Ireland to post you an English language guidebook eg the CSJ one, to the Post Office in SJPP not long before you are due to arrive there....

All the best with your plans.
Margaret

Leave your poles behind. You won't need them. Don't worry about boots, either. Instead, consider sandals (with two or three straps on each foot). Buy a comfortable pair and wear them for two weeks prior to starting the Camino.

Do not under any circumstances leave your poles behind because someone suggests it. They will be the most valuable piece of equipment you take. They could be a problem in carry-on baggage. Naturally, leave them behind if YOU want to.

Sandals will not give you lateral support, and you will have a tendency to feel like your are slipping out of them on sideways inclines. If you are comfortable with sandals, they are cooler, but if you are accustomed to shoes/boots that give you support, stick with them. If you use inserts/insoles, they will not work with sandals. Sandals have a cult following, but you will find them only on one in one hundred on the Camino. I saw two pilgrims in bare feet. Their feet looked like ugli fruit, but they walked comfortably. It is something you get used to like most things in life.

Footware is really a function of how your prepared and to what you have become accustomed. I would never dream of sandals on the a pilgrimage of this length (or any length); my feet need more support as well as my ankles. I suspect that is the situation for most people not in their 20s. The second issue is don't consider a shoe/boot that is not broken in also. Very few people are in such a high degree of physical shape they can begin the Camino with no preparation. Those that think they are in that kind of shape readily come face to face with reality and suffer needlessly as a result of their decisions.

The flip side of this is spiritual and intellectual preparation. Of course, this is only a concern for those who have a spiritual facet to their Camino. It is a fine line between expectation and openness/willingness to learn from each moment. Intellectually, it is being able to appreciate the culture you will see and understanding it without judging it. Peace.

MichaelB10398 said:
Footware is really a function of how your prepared and to what you have become accustomed. I would never dream of sandals on the a pilgrimage of this length (or any length); my feet need more support as well as my ankles. I suspect that is the situation for most people not in their 20s. The second issue is don't consider a shoe/boot that is not broken in also. Very few people are in such a high degree of physical shape they can begin the Camino with no preparation. Those that think they are in that kind of shape readily come face to face with reality and suffer needlessly as a result of their decisions.

The flip side of this is spiritual and intellectual preparation. Of course, this is only a concern for those who have a spiritual facet to their Camino. It is a fine line between expectation and openness/willingness to learn from each moment. Intellectually, it is being able to appreciate the culture you will see and understanding it without judging it. Peace.

Michael
All very good and wise advice.
My boots are well broken in and my body is conditioning (as much as possible for the "woman of a certain age" that I am) from all the walking and hiking I have been doing.
What do you suggest for "spiritual and intellectual preparation"?

What do you suggest for "spiritual and intellectual preparation"?
Wipe your mind completely clean. Pretend you have never heard of God, Catholicism, St. James, Choelho, Shirley MacLaine, Hape Kerkeling, religious ritual, or non-Christians religions. Pretty much become an atheist.

Do not try to fit anything into pre-existing conceptions. Look at everything to see what is real and what is facade. Then see what the Camino shows you about yourself, others, spirituality, nature, and divinity.

Voila. Tabula rasa to complete knowledge in just a month, and you will know what is true and what is false because you have seen/done it first hand, not because someone centuries old has told you what he thinks is true or false.

falcon269 said:
Wipe your mind completely clean. Pretend you have never heard of God, Catholicism, St. James, Choelho, Shirley MacLaine, Hape Kerkeling, religious ritual, or non-Christians religions. Pretty much become an atheist.

Do not try to fit anything into pre-existing conceptions. Look at everything to see what is real and what is facade. Then see what the Camino shows you about yourself, others, spirituality, nature, and divinity.

Voila. Tabula rasa to complete knowledge in just a month, and you will know what is true and what is false because you have seen/done it first hand, not because someone centuries old has told you what he thinks is true or false.

Thanks falcon!!! Good adivce. I Love it.
You are so right about wiping your mind clean and have no preconceptions. If only we could remember to do that ALWAYS!!

Forgive me if the post appears twice.

My name is Joe, from the US, planning to leave SJPP 16-18 September 2009, walking to Santiago on the Camino Frances for roughly 30 days. Reading through these forums is helping me realize I should perhaps get myself a bit more prepared before leaving.

I will be traveling with a small guitar and am looking forward to the solitude of the trail and the companionship of the alburges.

Buen viajes!

We are arriving San Sebastian on September 10. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could go about hiring a car to take us to St. Jean Pied do Port and the cost. There are four of us. So I thought it may be cheaper and easier to hire a car to take us there rather than 3 train rides.
Thanks.

flyfree said:
We are arriving San Sebastian on September 10. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could go about hiring a car to take us to St. Jean Pied do Port and the cost. There are four of us. So I thought it may be cheaper and easier to hire a car to take us there rather than 3 train rides.
Thanks.

Flyfree,

Contact Ivar who runs the Camino Travel Centre. He is the man behind this site that brings us so much valuable information. http://www.CaminoTravelCenter.com/
Santiago de Compostela

Cheers Rose Louise

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
HI ALL YOU SEPTEMBER STARTERS,well how are the nerves holding up not long to go now .I have my ticket now so no going back leaving from stanstead on 5 sep arriving in st jean pdp sometime in the afternoon all going well .this is it cant wait. :D

Seems like everyone is leaving at the beginning of September...but I am a September starter too so I wanted to say hello. I'm leaving SJPdP after arriving on the early train from Bayonne on September 27. Given the mid-day start, I'll spend my first night at the Refuge Orisson.

Anyone else leaving from SJPdP in late September?

€83,-
Hi All
Less than 7 weeks!! I am getting anxious. But I am also trying not to rush it. It will be here soon enough.
Buen Camino to you all
Rita

argh

I have a feeling someone has other plans for my Camino this autumn

5 weeks ago I came down with shingles, the blisters have all but gone but I'm still subject to a certain amount of pain and am tired by the afternoon. So I decided to defer a decision until the end of July. Then 3 weeks ago I broke a toe, not in a major way but enough to make me hobble and grimace, I still decided that the end of July would be my decision date. With the end of July fast approaching and my training plans in shreds I've dislocated and broken another toe, this time in a much more spectacular fashion. The x-ray is 'interesting' and I'm now on crutches unable to put on a sock never mind a shoe (unless it's a Croc)

The end of July is this week and I feel that someone is taking this decision out of my hands (a Camino lesson in itself?) However this would be the 2nd time I'd had to defer and I'm not happy about it. Next year is a Holy Year and I had already said that I didn't want to walk in the increased numbers that that brings

a tired and in pain JaneB

Hi Jane,

I know how you feel. I was due to walk the Levante in April, but had to postpone when my mother in law died. I am now planning to start on September 8th. You must be really frustrated, but you can't push your body more than it can take. The only thing I can say is that postponing for me was absolutely the right decision. If you end up walking in the Holy Year, you could take one of the quiet routes,

in sympathy,

Andy

Thank you, I'm trying to find the silver lining but today that appears to be impossible. Normally I'm a reasonably positive sort of person . . . .

Jane, I'm sorry to hear you're having such trouble. Have you asked your doctor why you're breaking your toes? Are you training too hard? Take deep breaths, take it slowly; perhaps you'll be ready by September. You can take it as slowly as you like it. The first time I walked, I met a woman who was only walking 10k/per day (doctor's orders) and the 2nd time, I met a Canadian woman who had just gotten over knee surgery & under doctor's orders to walk one day & rest the 2nd. So she walked one day & took a bus to the next stop down the road. She planned to do this until she got to Sarria & then would only walk 10k/day, since you have to walk that entire stretch in order to get the Compostela.

Kelly

Jane, it is funny when our decisions get made for us; I think i best to stop fighting it and go with the flow. Assume He knows what is best for you. Put away your concerns of a crowded Camino during the Holy Year and continue to prepare for your Camino. If that is to happen next year, be grateful and know that 2010 is the time for your Camino. If it is 2011, then you will find that out next year.

All of us need to learn to stop spitting into the wind. You will have a better Camino because you will have more time to prepare both physically and spiritually. Peace,

Mike

€46,-
Hi! I cannot believe I leave for the Camino exactly 6 weeks today! Seems like yesterday that I was lying in bed with a bad cold ( that was in March) , leafing through books and dreaming of the Camino, which then seemed so long in the future.
I leave Canada on Sept 7 for Biarritz, and hope to start the Camino from SJPP on the 10th or 11th. I've got everything ( I think) and have been walking local trails with pack sack full for conditioning, boots and poles work fine, and I am ready to rock! I intend to walk ( or rock) to Finnisterre and have allowed 7 weeks total for the trip.
From reading this forum it looks like we will have a diverse and spirited group walking in Sept. I look forward to meeting some of you.....

All the best for a buen camino,

Alan P.
Victoria CAN.

HI Jane ,i am so sorry to hear about your mishaps and i hope you can still begin your camino in september as i have read how life keeps getting in the way of your dream that is the camino.I have been looking foreword to meeting you as i start on sep 6 from st jean.I want to encourage you to listen to your body and dont give up ,as kelly said you can take your time walking slowly until you get strong,keep focused on your goal ,dont feel defeated and maybe it will all work out just how you planned either way i wish you all the best .lillian

Hi Jane,
Sorry to hear about your mishaps. I too am looking forward to meeting you on the Camino. I hope your current issues are mended in time for your September adventure. Don't give up just yet but you will know when it is time to make the final decision, just as you knew when you found the right boots.
Take care and see you in September!?
Bill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re: September Starters-Starting Sept 8th

Jane,
It has been a week and we haven't heard anything. How is that broken toe? Can you get your foot into shoes? Boots? You haven't aborted your Camino plans yet, have you?
I'm thinking of you and wishing you well.
I so hope you can make your Camino, especially after you had to postpone it once already
A big hug for luck.

Bill,
I may see you in Roncesvalles. Just one month and I leave for Spain!! I will be starting from Roncesvalles the 8th of September, so we may meet up there. If not, have a wonderdful trip.

Anyone else starting in Roncesvalles on the 8th??

Hi Rita,
Yes, I should be in Roncesvalles on the Sep 8th. I hope to see you there!
I have to say, I am very envious of the area you get to do your training in. Wow, what beautiful scenery you get to enjoy while walking. I train here in downtown Toronto which I can assure you, while beautiful in it's own way but not the same kind of beauty as you see every day! I can see why you are enjoying your training so much.
Simply amazing pictures!
Bill

mrbillyto said:
Hi Rita,
Yes, I should be in Roncesvalles on the Sep 8th. I hope to see you there!
I have to say, I am very envious of the area you get to do your training in. Wow, what beautiful scenery you get to enjoy while walking. I train here in downtown Toronto which I can assure you, while beautiful in it's own way but not the same kind of beauty as you see every day! I can see why you are enjoying your training so much.
Simply amazing pictures!
Bill

Hi Bill
Yes, I am very lucky to have such beautiful places to walk.
Toronto is a lovely city. My Mom lived in Kitchener for many years so I visited Toronto many times.
but you are right, there is nothing like walking in a natural setting through thick pine forests, along streams and rivers. It certainly makes for a nice way to spend a morning.
I am told that a lot of the Camino is like that. so, I think we are in for a treat. Even though it will also be a tough, long walk.

Looking forward to meeting you.
Rita

€60,-
Re: September Starters-Starting Sept 8th

Hermanita said:
Jane,
It has been a week and we haven't heard anything. How is that broken toe? Can you get your foot into shoes? Boots? You haven't aborted your Camino plans yet, have you?
I'm thinking of you and wishing you well.
I so hope you can make your Camino, especially after you had to postpone it once already
A big hug for luck.

Bill,
I may see you in Roncesvalles. Just one month and I leave for Spain!! I will be starting from Roncesvalles the 8th of September, so we may meet up there. If not, have a wonderdful trip.

Anyone else starting in Roncesvalles on the 8th??
HI all i will be a day ahead of you but i feel sure we will all meet at some point i really hope so feels like i know you all already :lol: lillian at the moment i am walking around the house wearing my back pack looking very silly...

hey guys,

Another september starter...
I will arrive in St. Jean around 9 or 10 in the morning, do my shopping (pole, shell, the first sello etc.), and head out right away.
20 years old, experienced hiker, but first Camino. Anyone up for accompanying me, just say hi and smile :)

- Christina

Have all of you posted on the pilgirm calendar here? If not, at the bottom of this page, for example you will see a link for it. Post your camino and see who else will be around. Don't forget to say which Camino you are doing.
Lillian

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everybody,

Finally set my start date and booked in at the Esprit du Chemin for 17th Sept. I'll be setting out at the crack of dawn on the 18th. I've set aside 32 days to get to Santiago (or as far as my legs take me). Got my forum badge now so say hello if you see me.

Mike

No - I'm English but I live in France - Vigneau's the name of my house! I live in Aquitaine so I'm getting the train from Bordeaux to Bayonne on the 17th Sept and then onto St Jean.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mike,

Vigneau is a common Acadian name in Canada. It's also the name of a very important poet in Quebec.
I assume you know the meaning of the name, i.e. Vigneau ou Vignot was the name of the wodden tables used to dry codfish on the beaches in older days.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Hi all!
My name is Margot and I arrive in Mardrid on the 4th, heading to Roncesvalles on the 5th and starting from there on the morning of the 6th of September.
I'm so excited I can hardly sleep!!
Any advice on getting from Madrid to Roncesvalles? Anyone else walking from Roncesvalles around the 6th?
See you on the Camino!
Margot

Hi everyone!
This is Inma. I'm a spanish girl, 28 years old. I live near Barcelona.

I'm planning to walk the camino in September, too. I'm looking some people to walk together. I am a bit nervous about starting alone.

I'm not sure about my start point. I'm thinking to start from Roncesvalles on the 6th of September or maybe from Saint Jean Pied du Port but it is difficult to get there on the weekend because there is no buses available.

I made the camino del norte 2 years ago and I would like to repeat. It was an amazing experience!!!

Anyone else walking in early September?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi there,

I'm starting on Aug. 30th. (almost a September starter) from St. Jean Pied de Port. My daughter will be doing the first 3 days with me but then she has to return for her work. So after Pamploma I'll be walking on my own. I'm from the west coast of Canada and looking forward to the walk ahead. My best to all the September starters, and perhaps we'll meet on route.

Happy trails,
Jan

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back