• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

shoe lace tying!

AnnieY

AnnieY
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2014
again I read so many interesting threads and someone had posted one novel way to keep boots tied, which I meant to recall, and now cant find - anyone seen it?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Annie - if you are at the 'camigos' meeting in june we'll wear our boots and show you how we tie ours. I remember the thread but not where to find it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The following site gives three basic locking techniques, the first two of which are the better in my opinion. Either of them do an excellent job "locking" your heel into the heel of the shoe, which helps prevent slipping (blisters and toe hammer).

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm
If you are using boots with hooks (rather than eyelets or lugs) it is only possible to use the first two locklacing methods in any case. With a bit of practice, it is possible to tie the high lock pattern on a boot with hooks in such a way that you don't have to let go of the laces. This is important if you don't want to lose the tension in the laces - something that I find a continual bugbear with hooks and lugs.

I have had some success recently using a variation on the segmented lacing technique on the lower portion of my boots, followed by a lock lacing on the section with hooks. The key here is not to use a proper knot at the end of the segmented section, but to do a simple double overhand to tie it off, and then continue. The double overhand is enough, and using it rather than a knot makes the whole thing easier to undo when I want to remove my boot.

My final observation is that if you want to finish with a proper locking knot, learn to tie the Freedom Knot. This cannot be undone by just pulling one end of the lace - the knot stays intact until both lace ends are pulled out.

Regards,

Last edited:
Sorry Annie, I thought I had made a link to the thread with the information. It is here at 'Camigos in south Devon' and hopefully this goes to the post #74.
Look forward to meeting you

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
again I read so many interesting threads and someone had posted one novel way to keep boots tied, which I meant to recall, and now cant find - anyone seen it?
I believe I saw a YouTube clip on how to tie shoe laces!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.