• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I risk not booking in SJPDP and go for the refuge instead?

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Not going on the CF until September, but flight is booked accommodation as far as Zubiri booked, but I haven't booked in SJPDP and my reason is this: I arrive on a Saturday at about 10:30am, I note from Gronze that the Ospitalia Municipal Refuge doesn't start taking pilgrims until 2pm. Am I wise to risk not booking anywhere and going for the refuge?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On the 15th May 2019, one of the busiest single days to date I stayed in a reserved bed the day and night of my arrival.

The next day I decided to stay a second night without a reservation and the town was seemingly completely booked out, including where I had stayed the night before.

I didn't stay at the Refuge because I made my decision late in the day but I did find a very nice bed using Airbnb.

If you are flexible with your requirements and resourceful and happy to take a bit of a risk then you are likely to find a bed for the night. Certainly the Refuge looks like a useful option if you arrive early in the day as you have planned.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I recommend booking ahead of time, for two reasons.

(1) Knowing you have a room waiting for you is good if you will be arriving later in the afternoon - like on the LAST TRAIN from Bayonne.

(2) Spending two nights at SJPdP on arrival gives you one full day in the middle to get over jet lag, obtain last minute supplies, do souvenir shopping, and explore this beautiful, fascinating and historic small town.

I HIGHLY recommend booking into a hotel or inn and staying two nights. Start out after breakfast on the second morning.

The local cuisine is fabulous, and the evening PIlgrim Mass at 2000 is not to be missed.

Check in first thing the morning after arrival at the Pilgrim Office at #39 Rue de Citadelle, for the latest Napoleon Pass update, as well as any other information you might need. It's a great place to ask questions. Say 'hi' to Mona.

Also, the "best" scallop shells can be had here for a donation. They come from the local restaurants, as in the Middle Ages. Coquille San Jacques = Saint James Scallops. They are delicious too. Staff at the local Pilgrim Office drill the cord holes - so it is worth the added donation value to have the "real deal."

Also, check out Express Bourricot, next door, at #37 Rue de Citadelle. You can send a rollaboard-sized suitcase direct to Santiago for about €70. It arrives after a couple of days and goes into secure, locked storage at the Loop Inn, in the San Roque area of Santiago, about a 10-minute walk from the Cathedral. This Inn was formerly the Lasalle Hotel / Hostal.

I HIGHLY recommend this to get all the stuff you will not need until you arrive at Santiago, there, in advance of your arrival. You do not have to be staying at the Loop Inn to do this. However, I recall they might offer a lodging discount if you do.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Last edited:
Not going on the CF until September, but flight is booked accommodation as far as Zubiri booked, but I haven't booked in SJPDP and my reason is this: I arrive on a Saturday at about 10:30am, I note from Gronze that the Ospitalia Municipal Refuge doesn't start taking pilgrims until 2pm. Am I wise to risk not booking anywhere and going for the refuge?
The night or nights you spend in SJPDP are important; you need to have a to get a good nights sleep, and some of the people you will meet will form the foundation of a walking group that you will see off and on from there to Santiago. I reserved with one of the privately run hostels, took the meal option, and was glad I did.

During our second CF in 2017, we made an advance reservation for a private room in an albergue. We took a bus from Pamplona to SJPDP and arrived around 11:30 am. We collected our first stamp at the pilgrim's office, then headed to the albergue to drop off our backpacks. Imagine our frustration to learn that the doors did not open until 3 pm, forcing us to haul our backpacks around town for several hours. For our CF in 2019 and 2021, we made reservations at Central Hotel. We stopped by and Christine allowed us to store our backpacks until our room was ready. We had a fabulous room that overlooked the river and mountains and Christine waited / served us a delicious dinner in their restaurant. Bob

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The benefit of booking is you have a guarantee of a place to sleep before you start on your journey and eliminate the stress of chance. Worked for me 3 times but it's what will work best for you. I appreciated the day to adjust to travelling from Canada.

Thanks for all the useful comments much appreciated.
Here are some things I don't have to worry about, the first is jet lag, I'm only flying from Gatwick. I have done the CF before and the last time I strayed in the inn opposite the pilgrim office, which wouldn't let us in until well past midday and wouldn't let us leave our backpacks there until it opened.
I have plenty of time to reflect on what I do, and may well take the advice offered here, silly not too.

The Pilgrims' Office will find you a bed
They did for me on my first Camino in Sept/Oct 2013. The train from Bayonne was delayed getting us into SJPdP about 20:00. There were several of us who needed a bed. I was given a bed in the attic of the albergue Gite Le Chemen ves I’Etoile. The perfect way to start the Camino. 😎👣🌻
Attick%20SJPdP.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Arrived in SJPDP without booking end of March 22 to start CF. Went to the refuge, found a bed. No problem. Did not book a bed from SJPDP all the way to Santiago (except Leon where I rang up a day ahead because of Easter). I love the freedom and flexibility of taking it day by day. Mind you, this was still fairly early after the pandemic, so not sure how much busier it is these days.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Arrived in SJPDP without booking end of March 22 to start CF. Went to the refuge, found a bed. No problem. Did not book a bed from SJPDP all the way to Santiago (except Leon where I rang up a day ahead because of Easter). I love the freedom and flexibility of taking it day by day. Mind you, this was still fairly early after the pandemic, so not sure how much busier it is these days.
Me and my wife will start our CF on the coming 17th April, I am somehow a bit nervous about not to book our stay in SJPDP because the other albergues are over our budget except municipal one. hopefully we can get our bed, finger cross : )

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Me and my wife will start our CF on the coming 17th April, I am somehow a bit nervous about not to book our stay in SJPDP because the other albergues are over our budget except municipal one. hopefully we can get our bed, finger cross : )
I will arrive at SJPP on 18th April.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back