• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I? Three weeks in Spring 2007

Nepumuk

Hi Folks,

my name is Thomas, I'm from Germany and I am thinking about doing the Camino Frances. I am not really sure, if I should do so, since I've never been away from my loved ones for such a long time. During the last 10 years, I've never been away from my family for longer than 5 days. So I always question mysell, if I should take these couple of weeks for me and walk (a part of) the Camino. My wife says, that it is totally ok, but the kids may be very sad, not to see their dad for several weeks.
Is here anybody, who is or was in the same situation? How did you decide and how did your family react?
Does anyone has a suggestion or a comment?

Regards,
Thomas

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
family

Thomas,

I don't have a family (re:kids) but i would highly recommend that you go. i think if this trail is in your heart you may have regrets later. how old are the kids? Do as much of the trail as you can. Perhaps the whole family can do the trail.
Bethan Davies and Ben Cole who now live in Vancouver wrote a book on the camino francis. i believe it was 2 years ago they updated the book, and they took there 2 year old son with them!! They also took 40 days to do the hike.
Go for it!!!!

Dawn of a new Day said:
Thomas,

I don't have a family (re:kids) but i would highly recommend that you go. i think if this trail is in your heart you may have regrets later. how old are the kids? Do as much of the trail as you can. Perhaps the whole family can do the trail.
I have a 9-year-old daughter and a 6-year-old son. If I would walk the camino, I'll definitly do it alone. I want to do the camino to have some time with myself and findout some things for the my future. Therefore, I want to go alone. But for me it's hard to leave my family home. Normally, my wife I splitt the homework, everyone takes his/her part and we both care fore the children. I know that my wife can make it on her own for those weeks, but it would not be so easy her and the kids. That's why I'm worried.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thomas, once my father had to step in for another manager in another office for six months. It wasn't easy not seeing Dad every day, but we managed, although all of the electrical things went haywire when he left (the fridge, the dryer, the dishwasher; Mom said they were "in mourning" for Dad :lol: ). Fortunately, he was able to come back home in late August instead of November as scheduled. This was during the summer months when my brother & weren't in school, so sometimes we would drive up to see him & other times, he would fly home to see us.

I think sometimes, as much as families love each other, it's good to have some time apart. Nowadays, there are cell phones & the internet, so you can keep in touch somewhat better than we could back in the 70's. I think if you & your wife make suitable plans, 3 weeks should be no problem for you to walk the Camino.

Kelly

What to do?

Thomas,
The simple answer to this is how much do you want to do the camino?
Of course you will miss your children and your wife and also being alone
will exagerate this feeling of isolation. For me this would be a distraction in the meditative natire of walking alone for such a long time. It sounds like you would have difficulty without them for a period of 3 weeks.
Would it be possible for them to join you at certain points like in Burgos or Atsorga or such places that can be reached by car and for you to then go and walk for a week or so alone? The downside of this is the effect it may have on you but I know myself that this would work for me.
I have 2 children and I am divorced and I understand what a sense of loss is around my children. You however will always be going back to them and maybe going back in a frame of mind that will benefit all not just yourself. Again it really comes down to you and how much you want to do the camino and also critically what support you get from your wife/spouse.

Buen camino.

Peter

Hi Thomas

I walked the camino frances last year. My children were then 10, 14 and 16 and all went well. Ofcourse I missed my children and my children missed me.. would not be very healthy if this was not so!
But I think you are the only one that can make this decision. Ofcourse it will be harder on your wife to do everything alone, but if she is ok with this....
I agreed with my husband that if the kids would miss me too much, or if I would get really homesick then I would just return home.
I did prepare everything very much at home. Talked a lot with my children and I made a big map so they could follow me.
My experience was that when I still had a lot of doubt in me, people would say things like: Oh.. are you leaving your children behind??? And ofcourse then I would feel even more guilt :) But once I made the decision to go people became very supportive.
I can tell you one thing... walking the camino was such a beautiful experience that I have had no regret!! And my children and husband survived also :)

Wishing you well
Estrella

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi all,

thanks for your helping words. Up to know, I talk to my wife only and not to my kids. I'll do that and see how they react.

Thomas

Hi all,

I talked to my wife about my plan again, yesterday. Her opinion is, that I should definitively do this walk, if I dream of it. She thinks, that it will be good for me and therefore will be good for the whole family.
Her idea was, that she and the kids will fly to Santiago and meet me there at the end of my walk. We can spend the weekend togehter in Santiago and fly home together. I like this idea. :D

So, it looks very good for my walk and I am already excited about it.

Thomas

Hi Thomas! Let me guess--the first thing your kids will tell you is "What did you bring me?" :lol:

Sounds like you & your family have reached a decision that works for all of you! That's great!

Buen Camino!

dg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.