• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sim Card in Porto

JohnCilladi

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone can give some good advice on purchasing a phone sim card for European use. I will need to purchase it in Porto, so what is the best place to purchase a sim card in that town?
Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Any Vodafone or Orange store. They're everywhere. Google maps.
Exactly. They have many plans available at a relatively low price that is really easy to recharge. The only thing I am not sure about is what plans will continue to work when you leave Portugal and enter Spain. I have not walked in Portugal since 2017. My 4 Caminos since have all been in Spain so there was never a problem. The simcard/plan I purchased in Lisbon was with a small cell phone company and I had to get a new sim when I crossed over to Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Exactly. They have many plans available at a relatively low price that is really easy to recharge. The only thing I am not sure about is what plans will continue to work when you leave Portugal and enter Spain. I have not walked in Portugal since 2017. My 4 Caminos since have all been in Spain so there was never a problem. The simcard/plan I purchased in Lisbon was with a small cell phone company and I had to get a new sim when I crossed over to Spain.
Im sure Orange works in most european countries.

Im sure Orange works in most european countries.
It is not the SIM so much as the plan. The very cheap plans aimed at tourists in Portugal are often unable to roam outside of Portugal.

Just be sure to ask before handing over your money if the plan will allow roaming outside of Portugal.

The other thing to watch if you will be in Europe outside of Portugal for more than a couple of weeks is that you will need to either be able to recharge the SIM over the Internet or put extra value on it before leaving Portugal because even though they seem like the same company each phone company in each country are separate and so you won't be able to put credit on your phone outside of Portugal.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I asked and was told by the Orange rep that it would work when I crossed the border into Spain. It did not. I managed by using wifi.

I asked and was told by the Orange rep that it would work when I crossed the border into Spain. It did not. I managed by using wifi.
It is difficult to be definitive without knowing all the factors but may I ask if you had Roaming turned on for that SIM card? It won't roam if roaming is turned off. Often roaming is turned off by default.

Yes, I had roaming on. I took the phone into an Orange store in Spain and was told the supplied SIM card was for Portugal only. The very nice man there spent a long time on the phone with Orange (higher up the food chain) and they did refund me the extra money I had put on the card, just before crossing the border.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.