• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Singing/Songs sung along the Camino Francis

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis SJPDP-SDC (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) , Norte 2018
Pilgrim Office 2018, Hospitalero Acebo 2019
I plan to start on SJPDP end May 2014 and wondered if there are any special or common songs being sung by artists alone the CF. I play Guitar and though will be not carrying mine with me, thought I may come across a few while in Bars ect. I would like to take a little time now to learn a few of the local songs so if I get a chance to play and sing I will have a head start on the tunes and words. Thank you!!Ed

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are heaps of different songs sung in the different regions of Spain ;-) As for "pilgrim songs" the French Tout le matin nous prenons le chemin and, more generally, Taize songs are favorites. Buen Camino! SY

Hi Ed,

I have absolutely no knowledge of 'local' songs that are sung on the camino, but when I have walked solo in Spain, at times I sang when I needed a little bit of encouragement, or was feeling particularly happy with my lot, usually out of earshot of other people. While on an extended cycle the other day, this song popped into my head, and it brought me back to the camino. I sang it with gusto while on a flat stretch:)

Have a listen and see what you think - it could have been written for the camino, or any other of life's journey's.

It's called 'Miles from nowhere', by Cat Stevens, look it up on youtube and see what you think.
Buen camino,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The French song given by SYates (ultreya) is one i heard a lot on my last camino. A French Peregrina would sing it very beautifully in any church she could find open. I first heard it at the church in Markina(Norte route), she even had the entire albergue in Bilbao singing it, twice!
People usually sing songs that they know, feel comfortable with and feel right at that moment and these can turn an ordinary moment into something special for all there.

Mike

There was a lot of singing of the Tous les Matins song along the Le Puy route. One Swiss group insisted on singing all verses perfectly after dinner, my quebecois mates liked to sing it when taking off in the morning. And I too heard a young girl - Swiss? - who was quite well known along the route for her church singing. Maybe it was the same person Mike mentions. I should add...she was very, very good.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, she was from Bordeaux. I walked with her as far as Villavicioasa and had the honour of listening to her sing in several churches.

My mother was wild for Joan Manuel Serrat - I grew up with this song and I sang it almost daily on the Camino.
Cantares
Todo pasa y todo queda,
pero lo nuestro es pasar,
pasar haciendo caminos,
caminos sobre el mar.

Nunca perseguí la gloria,
ni dejar en la memoria
de los hombres mi canción;
yo amo los mundos sutiles,
ingrávidos y gentiles,
como pompas de jabón.

Me gusta verlos pintarse
de sol y grana, volar
bajo el cielo azul, temblar
súbitamente y quebrarse...
Nunca perseguí la gloria.

Caminante, son tus huellas
el camino y nada más;
caminante, no hay camino,
se hace camino al andar.

Al andar se hace camino
y al volver la vista atrás
se ve la senda que nunca
se ha de volver a pisar.

Caminante no hay camino
sino estelas en la mar...

Hace algún tiempo en ese lugar
donde hoy los bosques se visten de espinos
se oyó la voz de un poeta gritar:
"Caminante no hay camino,
se hace camino al andar..."

Golpe a golpe, verso a verso...

Murió el poeta lejos del hogar.
Le cubre el polvo de un país vecino.
Al alejarse, le vieron llorar.
se hace camino al andar..."

Golpe a golpe, verso a verso...

Cuando el jilguero no puede cantar.
Cuando el poeta es un peregrino,
cuando de nada nos sirve rezar.
se hace camino al andar...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
'Show me the way to go home' and 'It's a long way to Tipperary' have their fans amongst Irish peregrinos. :rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Ed,

I have absolutely no knowledge of 'local' songs that are sung on the camino, but when I have walked solo in Spain, at times I sang when I needed a little bit of encouragement, or was feeling particularly happy with my lot, usually out of earshot of other people. While on an extended cycle the other day, this song popped into my head, and it brought me back to the camino. I sang it with gusto while on a flat stretch:)

Have a listen and see what you think - it could have been written for the camino, or any other of life's journey's.

It's called 'Miles from nowhere', by Cat Stevens, look it up on youtube and see what you think.
Buen camino,
Well, Miles from nowhere sure is a great song.....With a few lyric changes I think that is can be easily adapted to the Camino. I will work on that. Thank you for the tip! Ed

There are heaps of different songs sung in the different regions of Spain ;-) As for "pilgrim songs" the French Tout le matin nous prenons le chemin and, more generally, Taize songs are favorites. Buen Camino! SY
Thank you SY. Yes, I have heard of this song and it is a really good one!!! Not sure how well I will do singing it in something other then the Queens English though. May just let this one for the European experts. Thank you again. Ultreïa
Ed

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I plan to start on SJPDP end May 2014 and wondered if there are any special or common songs being sung by artists alone the CF. I play Guitar and though will be not carrying mine with me, thought I may come across a few while in Bars ect. I would like to take a little time now to learn a few of the local songs so if I get a chance to play and sing I will have a head start on the tunes and words. Thank you!!Ed

Try "De Colores!". We met a lady from Arizona who was singing this, at Fromista. She seemed surprised when a couple of Kiwis from New Zealand joined her in the chorus!

Canta el gallo, canta el gallo
Con el quiri, quiri, quiri, quiri, quiri.
La gallina, la gallina
Con el cara, cara, cara, cara, cara.
Los pollitos/polluelos, los pollitos/polluelos
Con el pío, pío, pío, pío, pí.
Y por eso los grandes amores
De muchos colores me gustan a mí.
De muchos colores me gustan a mí!

- Mantissa, Camino 2004

Last edited:
My daughter and I made it over the pyrenees in May with side ways rain and very thick fog which of course severely limited our visibility. She taught me a song called Rocks and Trees by a group called the Arrogant Worms, very appropriate since that is all we saw for hours that day. We sang the chorus many times that day.
Sometimes it is best to just go with what moves you at the time.

Terri,
Oh dear, now I have that refrain stuck in my head!!!
The Arrogant Worms make me giggle. I use "Canada's Really Big" as a listening exercise for my EFL students :)

Anyone from the prairies should listen to "Pirates of Saskatchewan" when you need a laugh

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thankyou!!! Rocks and trees..... a new refrain for days when you can take all the help you can get.

First of all I´d like to say I don´t carry an iPod or a gadget like that. All the music which I listen to on the Camino or on my hikes is all in my head.
But one of my favorites is a Willie Nelson classic - On The Road Again

Buen Camino!

I sometimes found myself singing Do you Hear the People Sing? from Les Miz at times (but not when anyone else around, that would be cruel. :) )

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
'Show me the way to go home' and 'It's a long way to Tipperary' have their fans amongst Irish peregrinos. :rolleyes:

Or not, as the case may be. - 'It's a long way to Tipperary' was a music hall song which was used as recruitment propaganda during WW1 . - Something I think the Camino can do without :)

My good friend,we were 4 walking the Camino in Sept 2012 and we sang South African songs in many places - much enjoyed by everyone - even were given free redwine - we sang a well known song in a restaurant one evening and everyone joint in in their own language - it was beautiful - so just start singing wherever you are and you will experience something - ENJOY - Johann Pretorius

My good friend,we were 4 walking the Camino in Sept 2012 and we sang South African songs in many places - much enjoyed by everyone - even were given free redwine - we sang a well known song in a restaurant one evening and everyone joint in in their own language - it was beautiful - so just start singing wherever you are and you will experience something - ENJOY - Johann Pretorius
NOW, that is excellent advice!!!!

We teach our little groups this, our own American words to the song "Ultreia:"

We are pilgrims come from afar,
and we walk 'neath the Field of Stars.
Some are fast and some are slow.
We are going to Santiago.

Ultreia! Ultreia!
Ultreia! Ultreia!

Do not ask us the time or the day,
We will tell you we just couldn't say.
There is only one thing that we know;
We are going to Santiago!

Ultreia! Ultreia!
Ultreia! Ultreia!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thankfully I only had to endure group pilgrim singing once or twice during my Camino. Please don't assume all those around you will enjoy your unsolicited sing-alongs. Many of us seek out a quiet, meditative walking experience. Birds singing always okay.

Worse are the inconsiderate pilgrims who blast their iPods while walking. During a stretch along a pristine riverside, I almost slugged a German pilgrim who was playing AC/DC at full volume, and singing along to it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Ultreia! Ultreia!
Ultreia! Ultreia!

Ultreia! Ultreia!
Ultreia! Ultreia!
I'm gonna steal this Annie! I will add some nice chords to it. Thx...Ed

Ultreia! Ultreia!
Ultreia! Ultreia!

Ultreia! Ultreia!
Ultreia! Ultreia!

That song was kinda my mantra while walking alone many days. Got me through the tough parts. Course, then there's the spontaneous sing along in Rabanal. Never forget that one.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Whenever there's a guitar around I guarantee you'll hear some U2, The Beatles or Leonard Cohen. Universally loved.

Try "De Colores!". We met a lady from Arizona who was singing this, at Fromista. She seemed surprised when a couple of Kiwis from New Zealand joined her in the chorus!

Canta el gallo, canta el gallo
Con el quiri, quiri, quiri, quiri, quiri.
La gallina, la gallina
Con el cara, cara, cara, cara, cara.
Los pollitos/polluelos, los pollitos/polluelos
Con el pío, pío, pío, pío, pí.
De muchos colores me gustan a mí.
De muchos colores me gustan a mí!

- Mantissa, Camino 2004

This is a well known song sung at many Cursillo retreats - where we also use the word: Ultreia!! S :)

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back