• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Six weeks to prepare for my first Camino starting in SJPP Sept. 11.

gcbraun

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct 2019)
Hi everyone. My name is George and just this week I was able to have life's logistics fall into place for me to walk the Camino Frances. As I made the decision to take a year leave without pay, I am looking forward to being able to have this experience at the beginning of my year. I've just discovered this forum and will be doing lots of research and reading during the next six week (and walking!). Looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims on the trail!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome, @gcbraun . The Camino is a great way to start your year off. Read, read, read, and then ask questions, questions, questions. 😊 Loads of great information here, and plenty of experienced pilgrims waiting to answer your questions.

❤ You will love the experience. Many people leave their jobs to do the Camino, so you will be in good company.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone. My name is George and just this week I was able to have life's logistics fall into place for me to walk the Camino Frances. As I made the decision to take a year leave without pay, I am looking forward to being able to have this experience at the beginning of my year. I've just discovered this forum and will be doing lots of research and reading during the next six week (and walking!). Looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims on the trail!

Hello, George, and a warm welcome to the Forum :D Here is a link which also may be of help as you begin your planning and need questions answered. American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like yourself to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember, perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.
:):):):):)

Hey George,
We start on Sept 12/13. Lots of great info and great people on this sight. Couldn't have be so prepared for our first Camino without it.
No fear, the Camino provides.
Buen Camino

Hi George,
Welcome! I started the Camino Francés from St Jean on September 11 last year. It was a great experience! As others have said, using search in this forum you can find answers to virtually all your questions, but if in doubt, post a question. A couple of suggestions...
  • Build a huge buffer in if you can. I was in Spain (and France) from Sept 10 to October 30 (about 50 days). There are plenty of things to do after you get to Santiago de Compostela. I walked to Finistere and then did part of the Spiritual Variant of the Portuguese route.
  • Install Google translate and download at least Spanish and French.
¡Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone for your positive messages and helpful hints and recommendations. I'm glad I joined the forum and actually posted something (not my normal inclination)! I especially like @davebugg 's recommendation to focus on the 'why' so it doesn't get lost as I deal with the 'how'!

Thanks everyone for your positive messages and helpful hints and recommendations. I'm glad I joined the forum and actually posted something (not my normal inclination)! I especially like @davebugg 's recommendation to focus on the 'why' so it doesn't get lost as I deal with the 'how'!
Welcome, George,
I am flying to Spain on Sept. 11 and will be on duty as a hospitalera in the Najera municipal albergue from Sept. 15 for the rest of the month. I would be delighted to welcome you there, if you decide to stay there when you are passing through.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back