• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Santiago vs Via di Francesco?

Omo

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring, 2024?
I am debating whether to walk a portion of one of the Caminoes de Santiago or instead walk a portion of the Via di Francesco (from Assisi to Rome). I am more interested in the spirituality of the journey than I am the physical achievement or the scenery of it.

I would love to hear recommendations from folks who have hiked one or more of the Caminoes AND part or all of the Via di Francesco. I am curious about which you preferred and which you found to be more conducive for spiritual growth and increased closeness with God.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello @Omo
May I ask, what do you mean by 'spirituality of the journey' and 'spiritual growth'? I have walked from Assisi to Rome and also along several caminos to Santiago de Compostela. I feel close to God where ever I walk....

Cheers
Lovingkindness

I have walked the Via di Francesco as well as 10 Camino de Santiago routes but I don’t really know how to answer your questions. I loved the VdF but I don’t walk for spiritual or religious reasons. I would think that you can find the things you seek within yourself on any route.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am debating whether to walk a portion of one of the Caminoes de Santiago or instead walk a portion of the Via di Francesco (from Assisi to Rome). I am more interested in the spirituality of the journey than I am the physical achievement or the scenery of it.

I would love to hear recommendations from folks who have hiked one or more of the Caminoes AND part or all of the Via di Francesco. I am curious about which you preferred and which you found to be more conducive for spiritual growth and increased closeness with God.
My husband and I walked 250 miles of the Camino twice (2014 and 2016), and our last walk was from Assisi to Rome in 2019. Truthfully, I felt I had more spiritual growth on the Camino--we are planning on walking the full Camino this September, and I have specific spiritual goals for that walk. There are a couple of reasons. 1st--the guidebook and markings are not as clear on the Italy walk, making it extremely frustrating. Therefore, much time was spent making sure we didn't get off track--to the point that I tore the pages out of the guidebook each day and crossed off the steps as we went along. Second, it is much more physically challenging than the Camino (minus the first day in SJPDP and O'Cebreiro). It's hard to meditate and contemplate when you are just working to make it up the next hill. Also arriving in Rome was anticlimactic--so different from arriving in Santiago. Now on the plus side--when we walked the Via there were very few people. In fact, we probably saw at most 15 pilgrims so there was a lot of solitary time. We spent an extra six days in Rome and experiencing all the spirituality it has to offer was great.

I walked the Camino Santiago in 2018 and walked the Via di Francesco from Florence to Assisi to just past Reiti last summer.

The route from Florence to Assisi was just beautiful - with quite a bit of walking on mountain trails (more like hiking really). The section from Badia Prataglia to La Verna is some of the most spectacular scenery I’ve encountered…especially the “fairy forest” just before La Verna.

I found I had more “Ah-ha” moments on the Camino Santiago - but that might have been because it was my first trip alone and I was doing some soul searching after a very difficult time in my life. I was lucky enough to meet some wonderful people along the way and also had the time to walk alone and enjoy the solitude (and think a lot!) I very much enjoyed the ability to do exactly what I wanted, when I wanted, and worry only about myself for the first time in my life.

In Italy, I was with a friend, whom I love, but our personalities are very different and we ran into some difficulties because of this. We were able to work things out, but I think it made some of the trip less enjoyable for both of us. Of course, at other times we were very in synch and loved our time together. I had less of those Ah-ha moments that were life-changing for me on the Camino Santiago, so it was very different that way - but the nature and beauty of the Via di Francesco was worth it.

To be frank, comparing the two caminos is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are delicious fruits with some commonalities, but they are also very different. I think as far as spirituality, each Camino is what you make it. Both have lovely and significant religious areas, churches, and the like. I enjoyed that on both caminos, but I find God less in man-made buildings and the like and more in nature - so Italy was a bit more of that, at least for me.

Thank you. Very helpful!

Janade and cannjohn, it sounds like both of you got more out of your caminoes. May I ask which Camino routes you walked?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree that comparing these Caminos is like comparing apples to oranges.

The scenery on the VdF is unparalleled, but with that comes the constant physical work of getting from one town to another, up and down mountains. There is no ability to establish any meditative cadence to your walk. The walk is work. Period.

If you crave the community spirit, there is very little compared to the Santiago routes. Very few pilgrims on this one. That may be a game changer. It was for me.

The Italian culture is not the same as any of the Iberian cultures. For me, at least, that took some adjustments. It ain't Spain. Neither good nor bad, just different.

However, all that said, if you love St. Francis, this is the pilgrimage for you. You will find his presence and his influence everywhere! If you spend time with his writings, and at each site dedicated to him, reflect on that, you will be uplifted and inspired. Especially at La Verna, it is a most sacred and magical place. And there are many, many more along the route.

This pilgrimage takes work. But what in life that brings the most meaning, doesn't?

Happy planning, and happy choosing.

My only request is that if you walk the Via di Francesco, on these Camino forums please refer to it as the Camino Francis, just to confuse people. 😉
Haha! As a newbie, I can certainly understand how that would be confusing! Camino Frances, Camino Francigena, Camino Francis. What?!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll muddy the field.

There is a Camino de San Francisco de Asís to Santiago, only a portion of which is waymarked near (but not from) Salamanca, but from the Portuguese border to Compostela is mostly equivalent to the Torres.

Haha! As a newbie, I can certainly understand how that would be confusing! Camino Frances, Camino Francigena, Camino Francis. What?!!
Hi @Omo I find when I mention Via di Francesco people sometimes think I mean the Via Francigena, which seems to be more well known? So now I usually say The Way of St Francis or The Assisi Way 😎

PS. Not that I've walked it - YET - but hope to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back