• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Leon

MelissaKay

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June-July 2017
SJPP-Fromista 2019
Having walked the Frances in 2017 with my girls, my husband and I will be walking for 16 days this June, starting in SJPP.

Although my girls and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Orisson, my husband would like to walk on to Roncesvalles. In a perfect world, he'd like to make it to Leon. Has anyone ever made it to Leon in 16 days and if so, how did you break it up? However, if it appears to be too much for us, we'll definitely slow down and spend some time in Burgos and Madrid before flying back home!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Having walked the Frances in 2017 with my girls, my husband and I will be walking for 16 days this June, starting in SJPP.

Although my girls and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Orisson, my husband would like to walk on to Roncesvalles. In a perfect world, he'd like to make it to Leon. Has anyone ever made it to Leon in 16 days and if so, how did you break it up? However, if it appears to be too much for us, we'll definitely slow down and spend some time in Burgos and Madrid before flying back home!

MelissaKay:

I have walked the CF several times. My first trip was 32 days. The last one was 26 days. The answer to your question, imo, is yes. That said, it does depend on the type of walkers you are.

My first Camino was challenging because I had never continually walked for a month. It was also very communal. I walked with other Pilgrims from SJPdP, by the time we reached Santiago our family was 20.

Many Caminos later, I walk very differently.

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes its doable, 15 days last summer to get there, but I put in 3 short stages to stay at specific albergues (won't name them, but lets say they didn't have electricity ;)), so it could have been 13 if I didn't make those choices. Daily km was from 38 - 45, and would not recommend this if you don't already walk these distances.

Cant wait to be back there this summer, and discover something new. YMMV

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Melissakay:

SJPdP to Leon is roughly 465 km's. Over 16 days that is about 30 km's per day. According to the www.gronze.com guide it is a 20 days walk. Eleven or more, of those days, are under 25 km's. Considering all the villages along the CF, one could easily make up 4 days, imo. There is ample opportunity for longer days, especially on the Meseta.

You do not have to walk 38-45 km's everyday. eg: SJPdP to Espinal, Espinal to Trinidad de Arre, Trinidad to Puente la Reina.

There are lots of opportunities to walk 25-35 km's within an 8 hour walking day with breaks and lunch.

The toughest day between SJPdP and Leon is day 1.

Ultreya,
Joe

Has anyone ever made it to Leon in 16 days and if so, how did you break it up? However, if it appears to be too much for us, we'll definitely slow down and spend some time in Burgos and Madrid before flying back home!

16 days is pretty optimistic. I walk fairly quickly and only managed to arrive in Leon on the morning of my 18th day. The stage between Mansilla de las Mulas and Léon is not a particularly nice 18KM stretch so you could catch the bus that morning and shave off a day. That's what I did in order to give myself a rest day (https://camino-a-go-go.blogspot.com/2018/05/day-18-mansilla-de-las-mulas-to-leon.html).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all so much for your replies! I have much to think about but we are so excited about this year's journey! :)

Thank you all so much for your replies! I have much to think about but we are so excited about this year's journey! :)
I did it in 26 days last Sep. Overnighting at:
SJPdP
Roncesvalles
Larrosoana
Zariquiegui
Lorca
Los Arcos
Logrono
Azofra
Villoria
St Juan
Burgos
Hontanas
Poblacion
Calzadilla
Bericanos
Villarente
Leon.
All good days, but as said above some big days walking, around 8 hours each day. Next time I’ll wind the pace back a bit and ‘smell the roses’ a bit more. I’m thinking that around 25 km average a day might be better, especially if you do not take any rest days. Cooee

SJPdP
Roncesvalles
Larrosoana
Zariquiegui
Lorca
Los Arcos
Logrono
Azofra
Villoria
St Juan
Burgos
Hontanas
Poblacion
Calzadilla
Bericanos
Villarente
Leon.
All good days, but as said above some big days walking, around 8 hours each day. Next time I’ll wind the pace back a bit and ‘smell the roses’ a bit more. I’m thinking that around 25 km average a day might be better, especially if you do not take any rest days. Cooee
Oops - fat finger typing. Delete 26, replace with 16 !!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
SJPdP
Roncesvalles
Larrosoana
Zariquiegui
Lorca
Los Arcos
Logrono
Azofra
Villoria
St Juan
Burgos
Hontanas
Poblacion
Calzadilla
Bericanos
Villarente
Leon.
This is great...exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you!! :)

16 days to León....
Doable? Yes
Convenient? I don't know.
I -personally- would find the pressure to "make it" an average of 30 km every day too restrictive, and even conducive to excessive physical efforts, blisters and so. But that's me. If you are comfortable with this kind of distances, it will be no problem.
I would walk leisurely, as much as I like, enjoy my pilgrimage without pressures, and if I don't reach León, just take a bus.
Your husband could came back later, and restart exactly where you ended last time. I have done this, and it feels good to plan again a second walk.
As for SJPP-Roncesvalles, the vast majority of walkers do it in one day.
Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back