• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Logroño

RNTYE

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino (Sept.2019)
Hello!
This will be my second Camino. I walked solo this past September from Astorga to Santiago and will be walking solo again . I feel the Camino calling me again. I plan on walking between late April/May May/early June. I'm still not sure on the dates as of yet. I'm tracking airfare for now. My questions is how many days to Logrono from SJPP? I plan on taking 2 days to cross the pyrenees, take a rest day in either Pamplona and or Estella. And maybe spend a night or two in Logrono at the end. I am a slow walker and happy walking 7-10 miles/day. I'm a fit 48 yo female. Can this be done in 10-14 days?

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is just over 100 miles from SJPDP to Logroño. At least 10 days of walking if 10 miles is your upper limit per day. You might want to consider planning your night stops well in advance and reserving as your options will be limited with such short daily stages.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Most guidebooks/websites list SJPdP to Logrono as 7 days. Doing it in more days is certainly possible. I would highlight the route on Google maps and then pick towns between the usual stops and search for albergues/private accommodations along the route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked it twice in 7 days plus one rest day in Pamplona. If you feel you want to take your time, i guess 10-12 days will make for a pretty relaxed walk. Walked in mid May and liked it very much, but i guess there will be the usual fear for not getting beds without reservations again. So better be prepared for that.

Hello!
This will be my second Camino. I walked solo this past September from Astorga to Santiago and will be walking solo again . I feel the Camino calling me again. I plan on walking between late April/May May/early June. I'm still not sure on the dates as of yet. I'm tracking airfare for now. My questions is how many days to Logrono from SJPP? I plan on taking 2 days to cross the pyrenees, take a rest day in either Pamplona and or Estella. And maybe spend a night or two in Logrono at the end. I am a slow walker and happy walking 7-10 miles/day. I'm a fit 48 yo female. Can this be done in 10-14 days?

Thanks
I did it in 6 long days. I have a daily blog describing it at danscaminotravels.wordpress.com

Hello!

Thanks
Hi,

Yes it is possible, I’m 58 years young 😊 solo female with a dodgy back and I walked from SJPP to Logrono comfortably in roughly the same time bracket in 2023. It included 2 nights in Pamplona as a treat. I walked that segment at the start of the opening season - early April over the Pyrenees. (Auberge Borda half way up the Pyrenees is open for booking by the way for 2024). I sorted out my arrival flight around that booking as there’s not much accommodation to rely on over the mountain. But Express Bourricot at SJPP can help with transport and return up the mountain if you cannot secure overnight accommodation up there, check out their website, it’s really reassuring and the staff are brilliant. To walk over in a day, realistically takes 9 hours. So for me that was a big ‘no’, so I stayed in Refuge Orrison but Auberge Borda is just a couple of Km beyond. Hope the information is handy. Bon Camino 🙋🏻‍♀️

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello!

Thanks
We did it in 10 days, with no rest days but a couple of shorter days. Stayed at Orisson on the way over the Pyrenees. 62 years young and reasonably fit.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My questions is how many days to Logrono from SJPP?

I am a slow walker and happy walking 7-10 miles/day. (11 -16 km per day) I'm a fit 48 yo female.

Can this be done in 10-14 days?

Short answer: yes

Possible stages for you might be (cribbing from your details for some):
##...km.
00)..00..Saint-Jean
01)..07..Orisson
02)..18..Roncevalles
03)..06..Espinal
04)..16..Zubiri
05)..11..Zalbaldika
06)..08..Pamplona for 2 nights
08)..12..Zariquiegui,
09)..08..Uterga
10)..14..Cirauqui,
11)..13..Estella for 2 nights
13)..20..Los Arcos
14)..18..Viana
15)..09..Logrono

All up about 164 km (102 miles)
A demonstration set of stages - personal preferences may indicate other choices.

At present (northern winter) in smaller places with only one albergue, these are marked as "temporarily closed". I suspect that should not be an issue when you are underway.

Following the vagaries of where things are: three of the stages above are less than your preferred daily distance limit and three are greater.

Edited to correct my distance calculator

PS: I've used km as that is the lingua franca for the route.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello!

Thanks
14 days would be a very comfortable journey. It would allow 2 days to cross the Pyrénées and a rest day in Pamplona and a couple of days in Logroño as well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do you have a Brierley guide?
It will make it easier to plan.
Also, Logroño is a wonderful place to spend a couple of days!
Lots to see there.
Hi Anniesantiago! Yes, I do have the Brierley guide though not entirely sure how to read it. I tried while researching for my 1st Camino. I will take another crack at it. I've been using WisePilgrim App to plan. I plan to hopefully leave out of Logrono to get back to Madrid so that will be a nice ending.

Short answer: yes

Possible stages for you might be (cribbing from your details for some):
##...km.
00)..00..Saint-Jean
01)..07..Orisson
02)..18..Roncevalles
03)..06..Espinal
04)..16..Zubiri
05)..11..Zalbaldika
06)..08..Pamplona for 2 nights
08)..12..Zariquiegui,
09)..08..Uterga
10)..14..Cirauqui,
11)..13..Estella for 2 nights
13)..20..Los Arcos
14)..18..Viana
15)..09..Logrono

All up about 164 km (102 miles)
A demonstration set of stages - personal preferences may indicate other choices.

At present (northern winter) in smaller places with only one albergue, these are marked as "temporarily closed". I suspect that should not be an issue when you are underway.

Following the vagaries of where things are: three of the stages above are less than your preferred daily distance limit and three are greater.

Edited to correct my distance calculator

PS: I've used km as that is the lingua franca for the route.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)
This is perfect and exactly what I needed! Thank you for attaching the stages and distances. So, incredibly helpful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello!

Thanks
I cannot snswer your question but I think it is lovely to walk up to 10 miles aday. Wise planning compared to my rushing 25 to 32 kilometers per day. I am also a slow walker so the days were 7-8 hours long. Buon Camino
wishing Marja 76yrs

Down load Camino Ninja. You enter where you are starting then as you scroll down you get all the stops and the distance. Tap on a town in I will stop here the it will show you the accomadation and prices. I have found it a great app

Certainly possible!
My two cents added to this:
1. I don't know whether you are planning on crossing the mountains or taking the lower road on the first days, but surprisingly I found the lower road more tiring than the mountain way. It goes up and down continously and the view while still pretty is nothing compared to the Pass.

2. The day from Roncesvalles down to the valley is the most dangerous in my opinion. Being tired from the first days and with big rocks on a downhill path, it is easy to slip and injure yourself. I did it myself (twisted my ankle) and my mother did it on another occasion (she was 47 at the time, so similar age to you). I also took the taxi with people to the hospital coz I was not the only one injured and the nearest doctor's office was in Pamplona, so it is not just a family curse.

3. There is (or was?) an albergue next to the stream in Astorga that was managed by German (or Austrian?) nuns. It was lovely, and I can recommend it.

4. Alternatively, you might consider walking 5km out of town to Cizur Menor where the albergue managed by the Order of Malta is quite lovely. (or spend one night here and one night there). The Alto del Perdon can be a bit tiring, so getting closer to it is also helpful.

5. As always, check the opening times before taking my advice at face value, coz I am not sure when these albergues open in the year. I was at the german nun albergue in April, so I assume they open early, but I stopped at the Malta one in August, so I am not sure how early in the season they open.

6. Before Logrono there is a long path on asphalt, so I would try to plan that day as short as possible by maybe regrouping a few kms to the days before.

Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Certainly possible!
My two cents added to this:
1. I don't know whether you are planning on crossing the mountains or taking the lower road on the first days, but surprisingly I found the lower road more tiring than the mountain way. It goes up and down continously and the view while still pretty is nothing compared to the Pass.

2. The day from Roncesvalles down to the valley is the most dangerous in my opinion. Being tired from the first days and with big rocks on a downhill path, it is easy to slip and injure yourself. I did it myself (twisted my ankle) and my mother did it on another occasion (she was 47 at the time, so similar age to you). I also took the taxi with people to the hospital coz I was not the only one injured and the nearest doctor's office was in Pamplona, so it is not just a family curse.

3. There is (or was?) an albergue next to the stream in Astorga that was managed by German (or Austrian?) nuns. It was lovely, and I can recommend it.

4. Alternatively, you might consider walking 5km out of town to Cizur Menor where the albergue managed by the Order of Malta is quite lovely. (or spend one night here and one night there). The Alto del Perdon can be a bit tiring, so getting closer to it is also helpful.

5. As always, check the opening times before taking my advice at face value, coz I am not sure when these albergues open in the year. I was at the german nun albergue in April, so I assume they open early, but I stopped at the Malta one in August, so I am not sure how early in the season they open.

6. Before Logrono there is a long path on asphalt, so I would try to plan that day as short as possible by maybe regrouping a few kms to the days before.

Buen camino!
My plan is to take two days to cross over the Pyrenees into Roncesvalles. Then from Roncesvalles, I’ll take a taxi or bus to Pamplona where I will start my Camino. I will be walking from Pamplona to Logroño.

This is great information. I was actually trying to decide when I walk over the Pyrenees if I should take the route that you mentioned down through the forest vs over the mountains. So I’ll walk over the mountain.

Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back