• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Skipping a big part on car - driving in Spain?

Nezabudka

Time of past OR future Camino
СF 2018/2024
Hi all,
Hoping for some advice, any thoughts - welcome :)
I walked SJPP to Burgos last year and loved it. I don't have a call to "finish" my Camino now, more like I want to share the experience with my loved ones. Next year possibly I can do Camino with my parents (64yo, but quite fit) and 14yo daughter. Again, it will not be more than 10-14 days for us.
Therefore, came up with the following plan - do a part from SJPP to Pamplona on feet, then rent a car and drive to Lugo, from where it's exactly 100km to SDC.
Is it too ambiguous?
I am worried about that driving part, seems like 600km on good roads, my dad is a good driver, but never drove in Spain - not sure how difficult it could be...
Not sure if Compostela matters for my parents, they just want to endorse the adventure with us, but as they unlikely ever return on their own, it seems right to get it... Also, I am not very eager to walk the same route again, but the first few days were so full of emotions, that I would love to repeat those...
It's very early stages for me, so I would be very happy about any ideas.
Thanks a lot.
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sounds great. Though I recall Lugo is just under 100km to Santiago (98km)? Maybe start just before Lugo and get your first walking stamp there (I think Castroverde is nearest that will have a stamp). Maybe others can confirm this just in case.

The roads in Spain tend to be very good according to my driver friends!

Buen Camino!
Davey

Not sure where you're from, but driving in Spain is pretty simple (much like in the US or Canada). Very civilized, but the streets in towns can be a bit intimidating if you're not used to it, as can the roundabouts. Best to have one person navigate for the driver. Other than that, it's easy.

We did something similar, but parked near an albergue in Sarria and walked from there to SdC (after walking across the Pyrenees). Just be careful to follow the speed limit.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It seems simpler to just go to Lugo or a few days walk before there and start walking. Why complicate it?
For me the Pyrenees were the best part of the journey. My parents are coming from the country with quite flat terrain, so I think it would amaze them as well.
Honestly, I would rather skip the SDC then and just do 10 days of the CF or CN with them... I have not experienced it, but am a bit anxious about the crowds after Sarria. CF in early October still was very busy, can't imagine what is going on there...

Last edited:
Sounds great. Though I recall Lugo is just under 100km to Santiago (98km)? Maybe start just before Lugo and get your first walking stamp there (I think Castroverde is nearest that will have a stamp). Maybe others can confirm this just in case.

The roads in Spain tend to be very good according to my driver friends!

Buen Camino!
Davey
Thank you, Davey. I will double-check it for sure. It shows exactly 100 km = 46.8 form Lugo to Melide on Primitivo and then another 53.9 on CF.

Not sure where you're from, but driving in Spain is pretty simple (much like in the US or Canada). Very civilized, but the streets in towns can be a bit intimidating if you're not used to it, as can the roundabouts. Best to have one person navigate for the driver. Other than that, it's easy.

We did something similar, but parked near an albergue in Sarria and walked from there to SdC (after walking across the Pyrenees). Just be careful to follow the speed limit.
Thank you, it's good to know I am not the only one with this kind of ideas. I am from Australia, so probably would be the one to navigate, my dad is from Latvia - small european country in the north and used to drive in Germany/Poland a lot years ago for work. but may be a bit scared to drive in Spain. Especially if it's serpentine type roads...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @Nezabudka,

I think your plan is totally doable. Assuming a slowish walking pace it's maybe 4 days to Pamplona and then 5 days from Lugo to SdC, a day to drive from Pamplona to Lugo is not ideal but possible, 14 days and you'll have time to relax and see some of Northern Spain.

I took my 80yo dad on a caRmino last September and driving really wasn't an issue, both motorways and country roads weren't at all busy. Driving along some of the narrow old town streets can be a pain, within the walls in Pamplona (I wouldn't have gone in there at all but that's where our hotel was and my dad can't walk far anymore) particularly was very tight but we survived. But on the section you plan to drive the roads are not at all sepentine.

If you find yourself staying in Bugos I can recommend the top floor apartment at Hostal riMboMbin which is as central as you can get and has 2 double bedrooms and a sofa bed in the kitchen area. In Leon Hospedería Monástica Pax had lovely huge rooms.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Thanks @Dorpie,
Your post actually made me think that if we decide to do it after all, perhaps better to split the road, like staying in Leon for a night... And this way actually it would be easier to use train/bus, not car, less worry...

Whatever plan you come up with will be good for you all, I am sure. Re driving in Spain - if the driver is used to driving on the right then no problem, and those used to driving on the left get used to it really quickly.

In Spain the roads are good, as is signage. Depends how you want to get to Lugo, whether sightseeing down country roads or direct, but there is a motorway from Pamplona to Leon - easy-peasy - then a good road onwards. A general rule is that any road that follows the same path as a nearby motorway will be almost empty.
Though - finding parking in the centre of Spanish cities is an absolute nightmare! :eek:

Spanish drivers are on the whole polite, even lorry drivers, so it isn't like driving in the mayhem of Italy! And if your Dad is the driver? Well, at his age I wouldn't worry, he has seen it all, done it all.

Oh - and you can get one way car hire in Spain too. Enjoy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am worried about that driving part, seems like 600km on good roads, my dad is a good driver, but never drove in Spain - not sure how difficult it could be...
Don’t be. Last year I drove with my wife along the CF from Santiago to Burgos and Madrid before beginning my own Camino from there. Spanish roads are way superior to what you’re accustomed to in Aus. Since there is always an Autovia close by the main roads tend to be quiet. But as someone said above, the larger towns and cities that have a medieval street layout can be stressful. Do your research on google maps or OSM in advance and you’ll be OK. And you’ll have the advantage gthat your dad has presumably plenty of experience of driving on the right.

It seems simpler to just go to Lugo or a few days walk before there and start walking. Why complicate it?
Well, yes...and, the OP says this:
but the first few days were so full of emotions, that I would love to repeat those...
So the timing seems about right. But have you considered traveling by train or bus instead of car? That way no-one has to do anything except look out the window. It's relatively easy to get to Lugo, and it's such a nice place to start. In your shoes, I'd think to walk to Pamplona and then take the train to Lugo. Here are your options:
It is a gorgeous journey on the train, especially the last bit (I do not know about the part between Monforte de Lemos and Lugo...but the part as far as MdL is stunning.)

Here is another way to do it just for your consideration. Have a longer term rental and additionally you all walk a day in various other regions; la rioja, la meseta, el bierezo, etc. This may mean only a couple of days along the last 100 km but maybe that is okay with your family. At the end of each day your father can take a taxi back to the car and maybe even follow it back to pick you all up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you, Davey. I will double-check it for sure. It shows exactly 100 km = 46.8 form Lugo to Melide on Primitivo and then another 53.9 on CF.

In 2017, it was reported that a new routing meant that Lugo is no longer the 100km mark. At that time the pilgrims office would still give a Compostela for pilgrims from Lugo

In a more recent (April 2019) thread, t2andreo stated that the Pilgrim's Office requires pilgrims to start from the town before Lugo to qualify for a Compostela. I assume that this is the current policy of the Pilgrim's office

We started April 10 in SJPDP, stopping in Valcarlos, Roncesvalles, Zubiri, and Pamplona. The Napoleon route was closed. We then took the train to Sarria and completed our walk the day before Easter, April 20. Spent Easter in SDC, then off to Ponferrada and Madrid, returning home April 28.

Our group was my 64 year old mother-in-law, my 45 year old wife, 18 and 16 year old sons and 11 year old daughter. My wife and her mom have both had back surgeries, but got on fairly well. The kids did great.

The train worked perfectly for us. No drama. We're glad we split it up, with the Pyrenees start and the SDC finish.

Unless you plan on some random sightseeing off the beaten path (worked great for us driving in France) or driving in Spain is some kind of bucket list item, I'd recommend taking the train.

Families walking the Camino...rock!

Driving on spanish motorways is easy for most European and North American. GB, Australia, NZ ... drive on the opposite side, which can be a problem. Speed limit is 120km/h.
Oneway rent is often extra cost unless you book for some days (>3). I would use that time to visit some places that are near the Camino Frances, but almost unreachable for walking pilgrim.

Road charges are common along the coastal highways, while most are free towards Madrid. Sometimes you'll find free autovia and national roads next to a costly autopista.

AFAIK Pamplona and Lugo have no good direct connection by train or bus. You have to make stops and changes. You could even fly (Pamplona-Madrid-Santiago), but it's not an inexpensive alternative.

If the Pyrenees have been your favourite, getting over Somport pass and walk towards Pamplona combines mountains, pilgrimage, another camino with no crowds.
Camino Primitivo has some nice ups and downs too. https://followingthearrows.com/2014/10/28/camino-primitivo-elevation-profile/
Oviedo to Santiago can be done in 12 days.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Two cautions: one, Spain takes mpr limits VERY seriously—don’t exceed. Two, rent a car with GPS—tend to be the most updated and makes cities much easier to navigate. Cities are old and streets can begin and end in challenging ways.

AFAIK Pamplona and Lugo have no good direct connection by train or bus. You have to make stops and changes.
I do not know about the bus, but the train has only one change in Monforte de Lemos. Which is a small-ish place, and it's no big deal. It is also an interesting area, so one could get off here to explore the town, spend the night, then continue the next day.

If you have enough time I would suggest using either train or bus transport. You would (all of you, even your dad, the driver) see much more of the countryside because very often avtovias/autopistas are dug into the terrain and it's kind of driving through a corridor.

But if you decided to rent a car maybe it's helpful to know that national highways called Autovias (A-1 etc.) are toll-free but on private owned Autopistas (AP-1 etc.) you must pay the toll. Anyway if you would have navigation in your car use the side roads to enjoy even more beautiful sights.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In a more recent (April 2019) thread, t2andreo stated that the Pilgrim's Office requires pilgrims to start from the town before Lugo to qualify for a Compostela.
Thanks @Raggy. But not just any town. It has to be the one before Lugo on the Camino Primitivo. Sorry but I don't have the name of the town right now.

In 2017, it was reported that a new routing meant that Lugo is no longer the 100km mark. At that time the pilgrims office would still give a Compostela for pilgrims from Lugo

In a more recent (April 2019) thread, t2andreo stated that the Pilgrim's Office requires pilgrims to start from the town before Lugo to qualify for a Compostela. I assume that this is the current policy of the Pilgrim's office

That is what I thought, thanks!

Thanks @Raggy. But not just any town. It has to be the one before Lugo on the Camino Primitivo. Sorry but I don't have the name of the town right now.

Previous village to Lugo is As Casas de Vina, but there is nowhere there to get a stamp. Nearest place before Lugo I can see that you can definitely can can get a stamp is Castroverde (21km before Lugo).

Davey

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Many travel agencies still sell Lugo as a 100km pilgrimage pack.
So how do they meassure the distances now? Or better how much is really missing?
When looking for some distance markers, I found one after passing Lugo and river Miño marking 100,906 km. It's the place where you can choose to take the longer, quieter way via Sobrado (marked with green arrows.) https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#search?query=lugo&map=18!43.0002!-7.5725
At Roots and Boots hostel / Miño bridge it should be about 102km (don't remember the exact value).

The other end of town (~2,5km more) has albergue Casa da Chanca, where they will have a stamp for sure. Somewhere here the Eroski description locates mojón 104,241 km.

A mojón near Bascuas shows already 124,792km : https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#?map=18!43.0177!-7.4403 How strange! Because it's only 15km from Vilar de Cas (another little village with albergue) to Lugo. Castroverde adds another 6km, which makes a full walking day to Lugo :(.

directional signs are very small and hard to spot. Keep a close eye out.

We started April 10 in SJPDP, stopping in Valcarlos, Roncesvalles, Zubiri, and Pamplona. The Napoleon route was closed. We then took the train to Sarria and completed our walk the day before Easter, April 20. Spent Easter in SDC, then off to Ponferrada and Madrid, returning home April 28.

Our group was my 64 year old mother-in-law, my 45 year old wife, 18 and 16 year old sons and 11 year old daughter. My wife and her mom have both had back surgeries, but got on fairly well. The kids did great.

The train worked perfectly for us. No drama. We're glad we split it up, with the Pyrenees start and the SDC finish.

Unless you plan on some random sightseeing off the beaten path (worked great for us driving in France) or driving in Spain is some kind of bucket list item, I'd recommend taking the train.

Families walking the Camino...rock!
Thank you, @Beeks, your example is inspiring :)
I didn't know there is a train from Pamplona to Sarria... Renfe doesn't find anything even with stopovers....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you to all your help, guys :) It made me think and re-think a lot.

Firstly, yes, if deciding to walk for the Compostela, Lugo may be not a good point to start (I am waiting for an official answer from the Pilgrims office though), I've just picked it a a bigger town where rental companies have offices and happy to have a one-way rental. At first glance, Sarria was not an option for it.
Secondly, yes, train/bus seems to be more preferable, unless it becomes too expensive. I want for this to be enjoyable for everyone and not to get anyone stressed with driving, even if it's not as hard after all.

Thank you, @Beeks, your example is inspiring :)
I didn't know there is a train from Pamplona to Sarria... Renfe doesn't find anything even with stopovers....

Thanks!

Renfe only lets you see tickets 62 days in advance, or some arbitrary number. If you put in a date for next week, you'll see it.

The train actually goes from Pamplona to Monforte de Lemos, where you have to change trains. There was only a 25 minute layover, and our train was late. Most exciting part of our trip! We made it no problem.

Last edited:
The train actually goes from Pamplona to Monforte de Lemost, where you have to change trains. There was only a 25 minute layover, and our train was late. Most exciting part of our trip! We made it no problem.
Yep, found it this way, thanks :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Firstly, yes, if deciding to walk for the Compostela, Lugo may be not a good point to start (I am waiting for an official answer from the Pilgrims office though)
Did you get a reply from the Santiago pilgrims office? Despite of what’s being said in this and other threads about the changed figures on the new distance markers (mojones), I would expect the SdC pilgrims office to confirm that things remain as before and that walking from Lugo to Santiago qualifies for a Compostela.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back