• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag necessary in September?

eamann

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Le Puy - Cahors + Saint-Jean - León
I will be starting out from Madrid on 10 September and, after a deviation to the Vía de la Plata, stopping in Zamora on the 29 September. I plan NOT to take a sleeping bag, just a silk liner. It that a reasonable choice?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
two of my Caminos were in September and October and all I used was a silk liner. You will be fine

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all for your comments. Not having to carry a sleeping bag will make my rucksack lighter and leave me with more space.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don't want to be a contrarian here, but I would not take advice on that topic from others. All that they can tell you is whether they needed a sleeping bag -- whether you will need one depends on your own comfort level and body temp. I walk in spring-summer usually, and even then I would never walk without a sleeping bag. But then I am someone who carries a sweater with me all summer so as not to freeze in US air conditioning. :)

I walked the Frances in the summer and carried a very lightweight down throw blanket - just 7 ounces along with my silk liner. And yes, I did use it.

I will be starting out from Madrid on 10 September and, after a deviation to the Vía de la Plata, stopping in Zamora on the 29 September. I plan NOT to take a sleeping bag, just a silk liner. It that a reasonable choice?
Depends where you are planning to sleep both on Madrid and VdlP. I'm not easily cold but even in the summer I carry 250g sleeping bag. Was very handy when I had to sleep outside due to bad planning ;)
Where are you thinking to cross from Madrid to Levante/Sureste??? Today I posted a Wikiloc GPS link for Senda/Ruta del Duero from Tordesillas to Simancas (or vice versa) in another thread if you are interested. The route goes generally West through Moro which is approx halfway and you can also walk the Levante to Zamora from there also because it lies by the Duero river. It's on natural or AG tracks and hence much more soles friendly :)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Peregrina for your concern! I have walked several Caminos with just my silk liner. If it is chilly I sleep fully clothed. The only time I was really cold was last October in Pozalmuro, in the dispensary.

Thanks K1 for your offer! I plan to leave the Camino de Madrid in the area of Valladolid. Perhaps Simancas. Perhaps I will go to Wamba to see the skulls and bones. I will play it by ear.

I followed the links Castellano suggested in an earlier post and have already my GPS tracks for the Duero Trail sections; and from Wikiloc I have the sections for the Levante and Sureste. I actually walked the Levante several years ago.

I take this opportunity to thank you for your detailed account of your own walk on the Camino de Madrid and for your frequent comments here on the Forum since then. Your suggestions and remarks have helped me very much in planning my walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back