• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or no sleeping bag starting StJPP 25 August?

bushbaby

I am doing my first Camino end of August when I guess it will be hot but dont expect to finish until 29/30 September. I am told there are blankets along the way and I have a Thermolite Reactor (supposed to add 8 degrees to a sleeping bag) plus a silk or cotton liner. In the interests of keeping it as light as possible(I am 72) will I be ok? I am planning to carry the minimum to give myself the best chance of completing it. I hike a lot at home in New Zealand. :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am leaving a couple weeks after you and am not carrying a sleeping bag. I have a Reactor Extreme liner and I might bring my silk sack as well for an extra insulating layer. If it's very cold and/or there are no blankets, I'll sleep in my warm clothes with my poncho on top. If I find it's consistently too cold to sleep well I'll go to a fabric store and get a length of lightweight fleece to use as a blanket.

So, the short answer is no, unless you are generally cold and night and can't sleep that way, you probably can get away without carrying a bag.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Bushbaby
We are not doing the entire Camino, but ought to arrive in Santiago about the same time as you (we'll miss our flight out if we don't!). Based on info given on this forum, we are NOT taking sleeping bags, but are carrying silk liners and a thermal top and long johns for each person (which we will need when we get to London).
Will you have a kiwi or flag or something on your pack? We'll look out for you!

I think it's hard to advise someone on whether to bring a sleeping bag. I am what in Spain they call "friolera" -- it's a great word that we don't have in English, which means I'm always cold. I would never go on a Camino without a sleeping bag, though mine is one of those very lightweight ones. But it sounds like you may be luckier than I am when it comes to body temperature.

In past years, I had always been able to rely on finding blankets to supplement when things got chilly (I usually walk in May/June, but there are inevitably cold nights). Last year and this year, I have found that some albergues have eliminated the blankets because of bedbugs. With fleece and sometimes my rain jacket, I was never too cold, but I am considering getting a warmer bag for next year.

There are not always blankets, and some of the Camino is at relatively high elevation so in May, I had nights where it dipped down to freezing.

That said, you will have nights where your silk liner and Reactor are all you need.

If you find you need more you can always purchase it in one of the major towns or cities you pass through.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am on day 14 at the moment heading to Burgos and while the weather is hot during the day it is cold at night. I only brought a liner and am spending nights in my clothes and with a blanket if they are available. My advice and what I would do on hindsight is bring the smallest, lightest sleeping bag that you can, well worth the weight.

BoldenMD said:
This is my first camino, so I'm in the better safe than sorry camp on this. I plan to start 26 August and am bringing this one (http://www.rei.com/product/778156/rei-halo-sleeping-bag). It compresses into a tiny package, and I hope to keep my overall weight around 15 pounds (7 kilos or so).

The goose down bag is good for dry climates. But, for warm, humid climates, goose down can germinate mold. The synthetic down bags have an antibacterial added to the fill to combat that problem and are usually about the same weight for the same features as down bags.

I am with Laurie peregrina2000 here - I always bring a light- weight sleeping bag (400g) - mine is down and treated with Permethrin and keeps the bed bugs away.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back