• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag Recommendations

whit37788

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2019
Hi all! I'm planning on doing my camino during April/May of 2019. I've done some research on the sleeping bag vs. sleeping sack debate and I've come to the decision that I'll be using a sleeping bag - I usually get cold when I sleep and I've read that the camino can be a bit cooler during April and May than during the rest of the summer. My one problem now is I'm not quite sure what temperature rating I should be looking for. I've found 3 sleeping bags from REI online that look great but they each have different temperature ratings - 55, 45, and 30 degrees F. Does anyone have any experience with using a sleeping bag on their camino around April/May and could recommend a temperature rating? Will 55F leave me too cold? Will 30F leave me too warm? Any advice is much appreciated!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sleeping bag ratings tend to be based on sleeping naked in the bag and camping. As you probably won't be naked in a dorm and you will be sleeping inside I would go with a "summer" bag - if you're cold you can always add socks, hat etc - my summer weight bag was adequate when camping 0C - so it would certainly do for a hostel in April which may even have heating

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all! I'm planning on doing my camino during April/May of 2019. I've done some research on the sleeping bag vs. sleeping sack debate and I've come to the decision that I'll be using a sleeping bag - I usually get cold when I sleep and I've read that the camino can be a bit cooler during April and May than during the rest of the summer. My one problem now is I'm not quite sure what temperature rating I should be looking for. I've found 3 sleeping bags from REI online that look great but they each have different temperature ratings - 55, 45, and 30 degrees F. Does anyone have any experience with using a sleeping bag on their camino around April/May and could recommend a temperature rating? Will 55F leave me too cold? Will 30F leave me too warm? Any advice is much appreciated!

I do not know f you've considered this: in a sleeping bag, what you are laying on has no insulative value at all. However, you still have to carry that useless weight around. There has been a shift to backpacking sleeping quilts, which provide the same level of warmth, but are a lot lighter.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm sorry to say but you have to experiment. Some people will be cold in a bag that someone else will feel warm in with the same conditions. If you are not sure, and without having a discussion with you, I would recommend taking a lighter bag. Your albegue may have blankets to pile on top and you could wear more clothes underneath.

I do not know f you've considered this: in a sleeping bag, what you are laying on has no insulative value at all.
There are, or at least were, down bags where you could shift the down either to the top or the bottom. I have an almost 50 year old down bag that does this. It is still usable because I usually go with a poly-fill bag because where I typically hike it is often wet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are, or at least were, down bags where you could shift the down either to the top or the bottom. I have an almost 50 year old down bag that does this. It is still usable because I usually go with a poly-fill bag because where I typically hike it is often wet.

Yeah.. it depends on how the baffles were constructed. For bags like yours, you could use gravity and a bit of shaking to redistribute where the down needed to go :)

I walked in October and used a 40f rated bag from North Face. I'll use the same bag when I walk next Feb/Mar. I thought long and hard about a quilt, but given that I'd be sleeping on a new bed every night, with varying degrees of cleanliness, I opted for the peace of mind that comes from being enveloped in my own sleeping bag. I believe I slept better than I would have had I been sleeping directly on top of the albergue mattresses under a quilt. At most albergues a quilt would have been just fine, but there were some where I wanted a few more degrees of separation from the mattress if you get my drift.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I have walked in both April and September/October with what is probably like a 55 degree bag. Albergues vary hugely in how warm they are at night. You may be in a cosy room where the southern Europeans refuse to open the window and it gets hot and stuffy. You may be in a cold vast stone building.
Most albergues but not all have blankets so I would often take one of them to put over my quilt. Where there were no blankets and I thought I was going to be cold I used my inner liner and an extra t shirt. I like to be warm at night and this worked for me, I like the lightweight to carry. Saying that if the 45 bag is not much heavier or bulkier I personally would advise that one. It's easy to open up if too warm.

Overnight I thought some more about sleeping bags on the Camino. If you don't already have one then buy a quilt. They are cheaper and you can use them at home. Most of the time when camping or backpacking I use my opened mummy bag as a quilt. If I get cold I zip it up. If still cold I use the hood. The thing is I use my bags and you may not once done with your Camino.

In most albergues I was able to scout around and find a spare blanket, fold it an put it under me when I slept. Security over the mattress, extra warmth...and rarely needed the sleeping bag. Just a liner and a blanket on the top.
March/April this year, a cold season with snow etc, and probably used my sleeping bag 5 or 6 nights out of 30.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What sleeping bag rating would you all recommend for a January Camino? 30, 35, 40?

Last edited:
What sleeping bag rating would you all recommend for a January Camino? 30, 35, 40?
As with clothes, there is no definitive answer except to take layers, as you may be dealing with indoor temperatures from 8C to 18C at night. This means that at the lower temperatures, you go to bed wearing woolies, a down jacket, hat and socks. If the heating blasts to at least 35C (my experience once in O Cebreiro in November) then you kick everything off and still sweat! As your best-guess general-purpose sleeping bag on the Camino, I suggest something rated in the 7 to 10C range. One layering approach is to have a liner and a sleeping bag. Or lay your poncho or rain jacket over your bag.

Be sure that you keep one complete set of clothes dry for the evening snd night.

Last edited:

I used a 40 for my walk beginning Jan 12. I used it a handful of times, I honestly found the majority of the municipals heated sufficiently for a silk liner and base layer. A few of the others had blankets as well.

Obviously everybody's mileage may vary on their sleeping comfort but I'm honestly wondering if using 2 silk liners would be sufficient with a backup of wearing more clothing. Hmmm.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back