Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
A thought-provoking Camino memoir. This day-by-day account will inspire you.

SLEEPING BAG

JAMESDOUGLAS

SHOULD I BE TAKING A SLEEPING BAG FOR LATTER PART OF MAY ? TRYING TO KEEP THE WEIGHT DOWN BUT ALSO WANT TO BE COMFORTABLE . I AM A LITTLE CONCERNED ABOUT OVERCROWDING AS IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING QUITE BUSY .

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

sulu

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
a few since 2010
I know of two people who only used a silk bag liner at the end of March/ beginning of April. :eek: They seemd to manage to get blankets even in places that weren't offering them as a general rule. I don't think either of them started in Roncesvalles though! Personally I don't think I would be warm enough, and I suspect that night time in May can still be pretty cold but I'd like to hear opinions of more experienced people.
Sue

Davroos

We walked this at the start of April, and only got blankets in Rates. We had fleece blankets which were warm. Everyone else had lightweight sleeping bags and they wore clothes as they were cold. Ponte de Lima was freezing whilst Redondela was boiling !!!

Enjoy your camino

D

Deleted member 3000

Except for Leon, every albergue has had blankets. Leon did not even have pillows, so have a stuff sack of soft stuff handy!

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

BryLl

Could I ask the same sort of question about undertaking the Camino Portugues in July (starting in Porto). Would I need a sleeping bag or will I survive with a silk liner? It would make a huge difference to my packing volume if I can leave the sleeping bag behind.
Thanks for any advice

Finisterre

Past OR future Camino
Sarria 2001,
Porto 2006,
Valenca 2008,
Finisterre 2010,
SJdPP 2012,
Tui 2014.

No plans to return, yet.
BryLl said:
July (starting in Porto). Would I need a sleeping bag or will I survive with a silk liner?
I have done it in May and a liner and T-shirt would have been enough, I ended up being quite cross with my one season sleeping bag for being so hot.

ksam

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Portuguese '08, Frances '11, del Norte '14, Invierno '16, Ingles '17, Primitivo October 2018
Greetings James! Well for my two cents worth...we did the Portuguese route in exactly late May. It was also a very very rainy year (2008) and a bit chilly. We all in our group had fleece bags and were fine. If I got chilly I simply added socks or another layer. Most if not all the places had blankets too, but honestly I think I only used on once in Padron.

Wishing you all the best,
Buen Camino,
Karin

mmonomm

Hi James,

i just came back from Santiago, i did the route in May and i slept in a bit heavy 1.4 kg sleeping bag :) the hostels were a little bit chilly in the first days, while accomodating to the rainy weather, but then it was ok. so my advice is to take a sleeping bag, not a heavy one.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances