• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping outside + no backpack?

So ell Enzina

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2016)
Greetings! This is my first post on the forum and my trembling first steps into discovering what this journey requires of me besides a strong mind, a strong wish and a young - although pasty - physique.

When i picture walking this stretch of land, I picture myself not with a heavy backpack and useful utilities, but dressed in one set of plain clothing (maybe a medieval tunic to let the air in and not feel weighted or too warm) with no backpack and maybe a donkey to help me carry water and supplies. I would also like to sleep outside, without a sleeping-bag or tent, like we've always done when on similar journeys (provided it is in the summer with no risk of it being too cold at night)

Is this even remotely feasible? Throughout our history this is the way we have done it, and it seems to be possible, but I would like to hear from experienced pilgrims with an expertise in the subject. Maybe someone has walked the journey in a similar fashion?

I am thinking of Via de la Plata or de Portugues as i reckon Camino Francés may be a bit cold for sleeping outside if I am not mistaken?

I would love to hear your responses and await them eagerly.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
While I have not done it like this myself, I firmly believe that if you are willing to go without creature comforts, it can be done. There where some quite cold nights on the sanabras part of the way in May when I went. I'm not sure how familiar you are with donkeys, .but I think they can be fairly stubborn and then will also need food and water
Maybe you could also wear a cloak or something for use as ground cover and when it gets cold etc.

While it's not something I would try I believe it could be done if you have enough gumption.

We walked a few days with a Frenchman and his donkey on the Camino Frances. He had to choose stopping points carefully to ensure there was somewhere for the donkey.
Not sure I'd take one on the Portuguese due to very fast drivers and little shoulder on many roads.
A simple Google search will reveal some info as well as books to read.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Most of us avoid heavy backpacks and I can't think of any utilities to take. The backpack usually just contains one set of clothes - to wear when the other set is being washed. Plus a toothbrush. And soap.

"Spanish Steps: Travels with my donkey" by Tim Moore is all about his Camino with a donkey.

Taking any animal is a lot of responsibility - I find it hard enough to look after myself on Camino. Walking 800 or 1000 km is difficult. With an animal is even more difficult. An animal is totally dependant. Donkeys are hardy but they still need water, food and shelter when the weather is either very hot or very cold - and you could get either, sometimes when you are miles from the next town. Donkeys can get ill, or injured. Do they need shoeing? I don't know.

As to sleeping outside in just a medieval cape - well, isn't that just sleeping rough? Our suburban parks are full of homeless people doing just that. I'd try it at home a few times before going to Spain. And check the Spanish vagrancy laws.

These are not insurmountable problems, but they do take planning and knowledge. Regardless of how you do it, though, you should go! It is a terrific adventure.

Someone, possibly on this Forum, has said you need 2 people for a donkey:

One to Push and One to Pull ...

If you take a donkey, you should be able to carry a tent or a tarp for shelter, although you'll have to find out if 'wild' camping is permitted in Spain. Plus somewhere for the animal to graze.

Biff

"Wild camping" is generally not allowed in Spain. Each province has different laws, but last year on the Norte we found only one beach where it was allowed. That was camping with a tent. I don't know that sleeping rough, without a shelter, is "camping"!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all for informative responses! It's been interesting reading through them as they generate questions I might not have though of alone.

I will have to find out if sleeping rough is regarded as wild camping or not, that much seems clear. Sleeping rough is not a problem for me provided the temperatures are not too cold. I can also perhaps tolerate mosquitos (providing they are not a special extra-evil Spanish sub-species of any sort, but rather the normal, small, smackable ones) and the snakes probably stays away if I toss and turn at night. And by far most important factor, Spain doesen't harbour huge tropical centipedes, so basically i'm all good!

But if I understand correctly, walking the Plata-route in summer bids it's fair share of hot days and nights.
Some have said it might be too warm, but I manage heat quite well if I am very lightly clothed (ideally almost nothing) and have a large supply of water (hence the mule or donkey). I don't think I would be comfortable carrying the amount of water my body needs on a overly hot, sunny day myself, and I would rather pack too much than too little. I am sure this equals a superheavy pack like nothing i've ever seen before! Again, the mule comes walking at a leisurely pace into my mind as my savior and bearer of all things heavy.

Thank you Kanga for recommending Tim Moores book. I will surely add that to my collection of books to read while at work. It should give me an insight into what is required of me to care for an animal.
If this becomes a reality, I will also try to bribe the animal into liking me by giving him/her an apple when we first meet. This will probably not reduce it's legendary stubbornness, but one can only hope.

If anyone has anything to add, I would find that wonderful, as I need all the knowledge and advise I can get!

Last edited:
Walking the Via de la Plata in mid-summer? Take a reflective sun umbrella for yourself and at least a hat for the donkey.

Have you walked a long distance route before?

We recently had quite a discussion on walking with donkies , and this was on the CF, so the lack of response a to your post makes me wonder if the masses have not prefered to keep their goes shut this time around

VDLP is HOT. For you, but that is your choice, but also for the donkey you hope will walk unprotected from the sun carrying your water. Donkey, not camel.

I would suggest you first walk with all the comfort of high tech clothing, water bladders, ultra light equipment etc., and the see if your romantic idea of refering to the middle ages is still something you want to do on a second Camino. Because it is addictive!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just a few thoughts....
There are a lot of cows and bulls on the VdlP, do donkeys get on with them? I have no idea....Also there are 'grids' (not sure if it's the rightword) to keep the cattle in. I seem to remember that Tim Moore had a lot of problems making his donkey cross them (basically, he just wouldn't!).
But when there's a will, there's a way!
Also, sleeping rough, without a tent... Mmm... There are scorpions in the countryside in Andalucia, prob. some too in Extremadura.
Oh, and wolves more in the North. We saw the paw prints and another pilgrim took a picture of one whilst he was waiting for us! (The pilgrim, not the wolf :D )
But that's just me, I'm a wuss ! :p

Walking the Via de la Plata in mid-summer? Take a reflective sun umbrella for yourself and at least a hat for the donkey.

?

I definitively recommend the umbrella in the Summer! We also used it against the rain, worth its weight in gold :)

There are a lot of cows and bulls on the VdlP, do donkeys get on with them?
Donkeys are unpredictable around other animals. We once put our (young, sweet-natured) donkey into a field with our (older, sweet-natured) pet goat. Oh wow. Some time later I heard the goat crying and looked out to see him down on the ground, looking desperately towards the house, with the donkey's hoof planted on his neck while she buried her teeth in him! Had to run to his rescue and separate them. No idea what set that off. I've also seen another donkey chase a cat and (separately) a duck - which only got out of the way just in time! I would have no confidence that a donkey would pass calmly by a field of cows. Now a wolf though - that could be interesting - I think I'd put my money on the donkey....!

And as mentioned elsewhere, donkeys need good food, especially in arid conditions - a bit of nightly grazing would not be enough (actually they don't graze, they browse, so normally they pretty much wander around eating all day). So that would need to be factored into the load they were carrying. And of course water for the donkey as well as the human. They are not camels, as pointed out above - donkeys actually drink quite a lot of water.

Not to discourage you though! If you're used to long-distance walking and that kind of heat, and have time to learn about donkey care and so on, it could be a great experience.

Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am confused as to why you would want to take a donkey if you are going minimalist. John Muir walked the Sierras with only a blanket and a satchel. Surely a water flask would be less for you to take than a donkey. And if you are interested in going medieval style you could get a goatskin bota bag.

Have you walked a long distance route before?
Hi Kanga
Do you know if Decatlon sells reflective umbrellas?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry, no. We don't have Decathlon in Sydney.

According to its website it Sills 2 UV u,brélas, but not the silver réflective ones.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are other issues with donkeys that you need to consider. I met a very friendly little burro called Wilson in Valdesalor on the VDLP. Look up borjaprada on Instagram. That's Wilson's owner. Some days he would leave a location at 2 am because of distance and heat issues. There is a lot of stuff to carry because in Extradura you need to assume that you have to carry all supplies. Which means you need a pack yourself. Borja walked alongside Wilson carrying his own stuff.
Interactions with other animals? Well, a frisky male donkey can be a challenge. You have to be incredibly organised, have a ton of contacts including vets. Do you speak Spanish well? You need to with a donkey.

Donkeys are unpredictable around other animals. We once put our (young, sweet-natured) donkey into a field with our (older, sweet-natured) pet goat. Oh wow. Some time later I heard the goat crying and looked out to see him down on the ground, looking desperately towards the house, with the donkey's hoof planted on his neck while she buried her teeth in him! Had to run to his rescue and separate them. No idea what set that off. I've also seen another donkey chase a cat and (separately) a duck - which only got out of the way just in time! I would have no confidence that a donkey would pass calmly by a field of cows. Now a wolf though - that could be interesting - I think I'd put my money on the donkey....!

And as mentioned elsewhere, donkeys need good food, especially in arid conditions - a bit of nightly grazing would not be enough (actually they don't graze, they browse, so normally they pretty much wander around eating all day). So that would need to be factored into the load they were carrying. And of course water for the donkey as well as the human. They are not camels, as pointed out above - donkeys actually drink quite a lot of water.

Not to discourage you though! If you're used to long-distance walking and that kind of heat, and have time to learn about donkey care and so on, it could be a great experience.

Buen camino!

Wilson broke Borja's nose accidentally and about 5 minutes after I had a photo taken with Wilson, tried to mount Borja which took him by surprise and shocked him. And this is with a donkey with a lovely temperament.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...
Hi there I am on my final Countdown to Seville three more days. Reading in the forum I became aware that I haven't got a clue were to get the credentials do I have to order it from Ivar or can I...
I’m looking ahead a bit, figuring out my preferred stops. I see that the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is closed, and other accommodation there is really expensive. The most expensive of anywhere...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back