• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping solutions during the summer

earnrunner

Hi,
I'm planning to walk from SJ to Santiago, starting on mid July
I read that on this high season, it happens that the albergue might get full.
1. How often does this happens? On how many night will I need to find an alternative sleeping solution?
2. Will a sleeping bag and a mat be enough for those nights? I really don't want to carry a tent...
Any other advice regarding albergue overload during summer time?

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Mats are the most discarded item on the Camino! If you should ever need one, impose on a fellow pilgrim and borrow! Many worry about not finding a bed, but very few don't find one. You may need to use an alternative albergue or hotel, but there are lots of beds. Last year they accommodated 271,000 pilgrims. New places were opened for the crowds. Stop in the smaller places, and you improve your chances. Try not to worry about the bed race, and be flexible.

I found sleeping mat very useful.

I walk my first camino from july 16 to august 13. I didnt find bed for 6 times. First (it was my 6x day on camino) it was shock for me. After 32 km woman in alberg said to me there is no place for me. Not really in nice voice. I was almost crying. And i was stupid enough i walk 10 more km to Logrono.

It was 5 more times i didnt find a bed (last 100 km). 2 i slept in gymnasium (concrete) and i was soooooo thankfull for my sleeping mat. My camino friends who didnt have mats, were freezing during the night.

So... when i'll be on the way again (hopefully it would be in july) i'll bring my mat with me. :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Caminando said:
Sorry you had this problem so often Ajda. You're right to bring a mat next time - or you could maybe avoid this camino.

Hahaha Caminando... I think i have read this words before on the forum. Am i right? :D

It's no my intention to frightened people. I just want to tell my experience. And i know it would be easier if someone told me this could happend. But everybody before my camino said: "No, you dont need sleeping mats, you cannot stay without bed at the evening." But i did. And its change my experience. Not in the bad way of course. Actually, im glad a had this experience.

And for july and august is well known fact there is a lot of people on the way. Why not said to people:"Yes, it can happend. Not very often, but still."

Avoid camino? No way. :)

Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hahaha Caminando... I think i have read this words before on the forum. Am i right? :D

It's no my intention to frightened people. I just want to tell my experience. And i know it would be easier if someone told me this could happend. But everybody before my camino said: "No, you dont need sleeping mats, you cannot stay without bed at the evening." But i did. And its change my experience. Not in the bad way of course. Actually, im glad a had this experience.

And for july and august is well known fact there is a lot of people on the way. Why not said to people:"Yes, it can happend. Not very often, but still."

Avoid camino? No way. :)

Buen camino.
There are more "caminos" than just the overcrowded Frances.

Ajda - I am curious about your experience not finding a bed on multiple occasions. I understand that the alberques do fill up, but were the local hotels, guesthouses, and other options also full? I have heard of other people not finding beds at albuerques, but from most accounts that I have read, when people open their search up a bit, they usually find something. Was this not your experience? We are walking in June and I want to be prepared.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On my October walk on Camino France I only heard on one occasion where pilgrim had to sleep outside because she was refused check-in due to late arrival, and it resulted in her sleeping on a park bench. I was surprised to hear this because if I've seen anyone turned away I would just open the door for them to come in and sleep - there were plenty of empty beds!

I would just open the door for them to come in and sleep - there were plenty of empty beds!

You would think. I also would open the door. And in Leon one year, I arrived very late, and the kind hospitalero let me in. But it should not be expected.

Even the Christ Child, after all, found "no room in the Inn!"

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back